17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Lee Johnson managed the club through a record breaking run of defeats? So if any manager did that at Villa he would be sacked without a doubt. 

No

Bruce did similar and was given even more time, money, preseason......

• Like 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Lee Johnson managed the club through a record breaking run of defeats? So if any manager did that at Villa he would be sacked without a doubt. 

Broke our previous record by a game, think at one point it was 12 defeats in 13 games.

Certainly got to 15 in 19 by the end.

Even at the last game of the dreadful run his overall record with us was top half, which showed how good he did saving us from relegation when he first took over and at the start of last season.

Our owner is pretty patient and only tends to sack when we are in the relegation zone by a couple of points, which didn't happen last season despite that run.

Johnson also had a great relationship with him before getting the job here and Lansdown played a part in Johnson getting his first managers job, first by recommending him, and then by being a reference for him.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Well probably yes as it would be a different scenario. If bristol set targets of automatic promotion and spent the money on fees and wages we have i doubt a record number of defeats would be acceptable, unless of course behind the scenes the potential could be seen.

At bristol he wasn't expected to deliver those immediate results and was afforded more time. 

• Like 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

Well probably yes as it would be a different scenario. If bristol set targets of automatic promotion and spent the money on fees and wages we have i doubt a record number of defeats would be acceptable, unless of course behind the scenes the potential could be seen.

At bristol he wasn't expected to deliver those immediate results and was afforded more time. 

In a recent interview it was said he offered to resign, but the players said to Lansdown they didn't want him gone.

ITKers have said that some of our players saying they wanted Lee Tomlin gone rather than Johnson gone is a bit closer to the truth.

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I appriecate that but at a club like Villa I don't think any manager would have last a run like that regardless of the situation. 

For example imagine we kept Garde and gave him a season in the Championship. Who knows what he could have achieved. 

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Didn't realise that. He really has done a great job then. 

I think he’s learning all the time and growing as he progresses. The consistent criticism that’s levelled at him is that he’s negative, but I’ve just checked and Derby are the second highest scorers in The Championship after Wolves. I could live with that kind of negativity  :). We may have missed the boat with him though, if indeed we are even looking. 

Cardiff scrapped a point v reading now losing to Bolton. Has the bubble finally burst? 

Now I know we have dropped points recently but I think it's only actually the 2 against Millwall which was the biggest disappointment. 

Win today and it starts to look more positive all of a sudden. We must win.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Cardiff scrapped a point v reading now losing to Bolton. Has the bubble finally burst? 

Now I know we have dropped points recently but I think it's only actually the 2 against Millwall which was the biggest disappointment. 

Win today and the gap is the same it has been for 4 months. Not that positive just yet. 

Getting second is going to be extremely difficult. The 2 points per game that is generally accepted as the required benchmark for automatic promotion means we need 92 points over the season. We currently have 37 points from 22 games meaning we need another 55 points from 24 games. So from now to the end of the season we need to average 2.29 points per game, which considering we currently average 1.68 points per game is a bit of a stretch to say the least. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Win today and the gap is the same it has been for 4 months. Not that positive just yet. 

Yes but until the Millwall game I felt a lot more optimistic of our chances of automatic promotion. Things can change quickly.

But first things first let's win today. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Derby are going to finish second now I think but I think until it's mathmatically impossible we still should put pressure on. But need to win today simple as that

Win today and they are 4 points ahead of us with another 69 to play for. So much can happen yet! 

17 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I'm tired of seeing this.

Doesn't even matter because currently we are not even in the Bathtub!!!