17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

Hopefully we can pick up a win Saturday then get 4 points out of the brentford/boro games with then Bristol city at home

We would then have played two of the play off rivals twice (boro and Bristol city) 

As long as we are withing touching distance of top four by January i feel quietly confident as i think we will have a strong second half (injuries permitting) 

Villa Unity

Aston Villa set sights on Premier League promotion

By Natasha Purkis

Last Updated: 20/12/17 10:48am

Aston Villa players are hoping to get back into the Premier League as they chase promotion this season.

Ahead of their Championship clash with Sheffield United on Saturday, Villa players visited Acorns Children's Hospice on Tuesday, to spread the Christmas cheer and bring a smile to their young fans' faces.

With expectations from their fans high, Robert Snodgrass is hoping to add his name to the scoresheet in Villa's campaign.

Villa now have their sights set on promotion and when asked if he was going to get the club into the Premier League, Snodgrass said: "Yeah, course I am".

Robert Snodgrass promises young fans goals and promotion to the Premier League

Villa lost 2-0 to Derby last weekend and are currently fifth in the Championship, just 14 points behind leaders Wolves.

Now they are looking to get their chase for promotion back on track with a win against Sheffield United this weekend.

Captain John Terry has been recovering from a metatarsal injury since the beginning of November and he's looking to return to the squad in the New Year.

"[The] lads have been great, obviously while I've been out injured and managed to keep up in the top six as well at the moment, so it's important we push on," the Villa captain said.

"It's important we get back to winning ways as soon as possible."

There are key players to come back and re- inforcements to come in.

However, unless i see a marked improvement in the pace we move and move the ball and the quickness of thought.....i think it will be nip and tuck for top 6.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, omariqy said:

We are only 6 points better off than at the same stage last season. Crucially, this is the point in the season when everything went wrong last year. 

It did but I think our current team is stronger than the one we had this time last season apart from missing Kodija. 

Its crucial we sign a decent striker in Jan. It could make or break promotion. 

On 19/12/2017 at 13:44, AvfcRigo82 said:

The same Johnathan Walters that was at Stoke?   No thanks.

yeh thats the one.. played & scored in the prem league regular for stoke when villa were swirling around the prem plug hole year in ..year out..

have you noticed how much stoke have struggled since hes joined burnley..come to think of it..how are burnley these days? 

players like walters do a great job & when ffp is gripping villa by th rollox..the options are limited..

43 minutes ago, cbr600rr said:

yeh thats the one.. played & scored in the prem league regular for stoke when villa were swirling around the prem plug hole year in ..year out..

have you noticed how much stoke have struggled since hes joined burnley..come to think of it..how are burnley these days? 

players like walters do a great job & when ffp is gripping villa by th rollox..the options are limited..

We had some similar at this level.. shares the same name as a former American wrestler...

Then Bruce got hold of him! 

I do not disregard your comments for a minute, he could be a mini Messi and Bruce would still destroy is confidence.  :mellow:

49 minutes ago, cbr600rr said:

He's made 2 sub appearances the whole season 

2 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

We had some similar at this level.. shares the same name as a former American wrestler...

Then Bruce got hold of him! 

I do not disregard your comments for a minute, he could be a mini Messi and Bruce would still destroy is confidence.  :mellow:

Ross McCormack is the name of a wrestler? 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, omariqy said:

We are only 6 points better off than at the same stage last season. Crucially, this is the point in the season when everything went wrong last year. 

It surprised me looking at last seasons table. Thought we were doing miles better (say 10 + points) but difference was minimal as you say and last season we were well adrift of top 6 so yes hitting another winter slump would be a disaster and would surely see the end of SB.

13 hours ago, omariqy said:

He's made 2 sub appearances the whole season 

their nothing wrong with players who are on the bench..look at the last 3 seasons at stoke 

if a prem player were banging them in do you think they would loan them to a championship side?

look at peter crouch.. villa gave him his 1st real platform years ago,he would improve the team & get more games at villa v stoke for 6months loan, i dont see PC asking hughes to let him join villa as he feels a dept to us.

with no ££ to spend & loans you have to look at prem benches

Sky Bet Championship 2017/18
# Team Pl W D L F A GD Pts Last 6
1 Wolverhampton Wanderers 22 16 3 3 42 17 25 51

2 Cardiff City 22 14 5 3 33 16 17 47

3 Bristol City 22 12 7 3 36 23 13 43

4 Derby County 22 12 5 5 35 21 14 41

5 Aston Villa 22 10 7 5 29 20 9 37

6 Sheffield United 22 12 1 9 34 27 7 37

7 Leeds United 22 11 3 8 34 26 8 36

8 Ipswich Town 22 11 2 9 37 32 5 35

9 Preston North End 22 9 8 5 26 22 4 35

Looking at the table, we cant move up even if we win and results go for us. Hopefully Bristol Will slip up at QPR as that United game would have taken a lot out of them. Id that happens we cut gap to 3 points and with them coming to Villa Park in few weeks we have a chance to close gap. Cardiff 10 points ahead which means its going to be practically impossible to catch them unless they have hit some terrible form which I cant see.  Derby I would say have the best chance of challenging Cardiff for 2nd. Its our own fault we blew it big time on Saturday 

Edited by Demitri_C

23.12 SheffU H

26.12 Brentford a
30.12 Boro a
01.01 BristolC H

Those next 4 games will be our season defining period. With the FACup game giving us a break from the league.
I think DrT will have earmarked the 02.01.2018 as „sit down with Bruce“ time. It‘ll be either

1 - what do you need on players?

or

2 - The Sack

If we break it down, we can not afford to lose ground on SU, Boro & BC
so 3 draws against direct opposition is the absolute minimum. However 3 pts from 9 would mean we would lose ground on them more than likely. Therefore we would have to win 1 of those 3 at least. (1x W 2x D = 5 from possible 9) Leaving us no choice but to beat Brentford (2x W & 2x D = 8pts from 4 - 2+ppg) or Draw at Worst   (6pts from possible 12 2ppg)
Anything less and we‘ll lose ground, only more pts would either maintain or gain ground.

So targets of

1- 3wins would keep Bruce in a job.

2- 2wins 2draws too

3- 2 defeats would mean 6pts from 12 (with 2wins) keeps him in the job too

4- 5pts will be a squeeky bum total (even though that would have meant 7pts from the last 21 - surely a sackable return?)

5- 4 pts gets him sacked as that would mean, we‘re out if the top 6 with 
P-7 W-1 D-3 L-3 = 6pts (from 21pts)

So what are our chances of

4 wins from 4
3 wins from 4
2 wins from 4 (+ 2draws preferable)
or 1 win and 3draws ?
Edited by Grasshopper

4 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

23.12 SheffU H

26.12 Brentford a
30.12 Boro a
01.01 BristolC H

Those next 4 games will be our season defining period. With the FACup game giving us a break from the league I think DrT will have earmarked the 02.01.2018 as „sit down with Bruce“ time. It‘ll be either

1 - what do you need on players?

or

2 - The sack

So what are our chances of

4 wins from 4
3 wins from 4
2 wins from 4 (+ 2draws preferable)
or 1 win and 3draws ?

I would like to see the 4 from 4..  and we need 12 points if we are to take this promotion seriously.

I think 3 wins from 4 will just about keep us in touch..

Anything less is standing still while others no doubt kick on or catch up with us.

Never mind relying on other teams above and around us to lose/drop points as that is just feeble. We need to do our own work and win instead of a SHA mentality instead.