17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

3 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Getting second is going to be extremely difficult. The 2 points per game that is generally accepted as the required benchmark for automatic promotion means we need 92 points over the season. We currently have 37 points from 22 games meaning we need another 55 points from 24 games. So from now to the end of the season we need to average 2.29 points per game, which considering we currently average 1.68 points per game is a bit of a stretch to say the least. 

Make that 2.39. 

• Like 1

Sheff Utd have Sunderland at home next - you would expect them to win that one. 

Preston are away at Barnsley next - a good chance of three points there.

Villa are away at Brentford - they played us off the park in the same fixture last season and with our new defensive frailties I have no confidence in us getting anything from that game.

If all results go that way we could drop to 8th or maybe even 9th on Boxing Day. 

1 minute ago, villarocker said:

Villa are away at Brentford - they played us off the park in the same fixture last season and with our new defensive frailties I have no confidence in us getting anything from that game.

If all results go that way we could drop to 8th or maybe even 9th on Boxing Day. 

The way we are playing....its all we deserve.

18 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Well we did see this coming a week or so ago and we got lambasted for it..

I notice none of the pro Bruce Brigade are anywhere to be seen tonight...  :suspect:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, villarocker said:

We are missing Kodjia. It happened last season and it's happening again this season - it's no coincidence.

No we just have a shit manager we had him last season and we still have him this season - it's no coincidence.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Well we did see this coming a week or so ago and we got lambasted for it..

I notice none of the pro Bruce Brigade are anywhere to be seen tonight...  :suspect:

I think many people will judge on results - at the start of December we were 4th and in the mix - now after 1 win in 4 this month we are well off the pace and most people who gave Bruce the benefit have had enough now .

the situation is considerably worse than it was a fortnight ago - Cardiff and Bristol may well fall away but derby will not be caught by villa -its top 6 at best and that frankly is unacceptable considering the resources Bruce has had at villa no matter what excuses he makes 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eastie said:

I think many people will judge on results - at the start of December we were 4th and in the mix - now after 1 win in 4 this month we are well off the pace and most people who gave Bruce the benefit have had enough now .

the situation is considerably worse than it was a fortnight ago - Cardiff and Bristol may well fall away but derby will not be caught by villa -its top 6 at best and that frankly is unacceptable considering the resources Bruce has had at villa no matter what excuses he makes 

Personally I'm okay with top 6; it's a difficult league. However, I do agree that people are reconsidering their views of the management as results worsen, and that that isn't hypocrisy, it's changing your mind based on new evidence. Which is fair enough. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Personally I'm okay with top 6; it's a difficult league. However, I do agree that people are reconsidering their views of the management as results worsen, and that that isn't hypocrisy, it's changing your mind based on new evidence. Which is fair enough. 

The money spent on this squad and the players we have here automatic promotion should be the target - play offs is not good enough really , if we go up through the play offs off course we’d take it but Bruce will not be here much longer either way in my opinion 

7 minutes ago, Eastie said:

The money spent on this squad and the players we have here automatic promotion should be the target - play offs is not good enough really , if we go up through the play offs off course we’d take it but Bruce will not be here much longer either way in my opinion 

Obviously automatic promotion was the target at the start of the season, but it's long gone now - we'd need to win more than three out of four of every remaining game - so I assume from the fact that the manager hasn't been sacked that the club has revised their target down to top 6. 

I agree that Bruce may well go if we fall out of the playoff places for any extended period, and given the upcoming fixtures that may not be long. I don't know why they accepted the Agnew appointment, we'll be paying him off very shortly. 

• Like 1

If we are out of the top 8 on New Year’s Day then surely the time would be right to act - they need to be swift with a new appointment though and have someone in place ready  to come in - I have zero faith in wyness or round though :(

43 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Thing is, the money Middlesbrough have spent, Sheffield Wednesday have spent, Wolves have spent, Derby have spent, etc etc automatics should be the target.

Only 2 can achieve that target.

• Like 1

We're halfway through - there's plenty of time and there will be plenty of twists in this yet. As fans, we don't have a lot of confidence or a particularly strong nerve - i think that might transmit to the players over the second half of the season and it's a concern.

We're in the race - at the start of the season I didn't think we'd make the playoffs this year - I now think we can - we're ugly, but we can do enough ugly to get us there. From there it's a lottery and whilst we don't look a great bet to win that lottery and we're struggling to beat the teams that will be around us at that time, I think our ugly, basic style might be a bit more robust under the pressure of the playoffs than maybe some of the teams that are more expansive - playing good football under pressure is more difficult than playing our simple  "defend/get it wide/try to score set pieces" game. 

It's horrible to watch at times and I think that we need to change it at the end of the season regardless of whether we're successful or not - but this could still be one of our most exciting seasons in years. I know it's a bit of a dirty word, but I'm optimistic.

• Like 3

With the way things are going unless we turn our form around quickly top 6 is best we can hope for .Im not Bruce's biggest fan and I think there is a lot better managers out there but we are decimated by injuries Kodjia gone long term Terry out with a long time and Jedinak only back after 6 months out ,on top of that Grealish was out long term Lansbury and Hogan have struggled with injuries since they have arrived I realise every team gets injuries but we have been really unlucky that it's been to our better players and majority of them have been months rather than weeks out ,If Derby or Wolves had the same injuries they wouldn't be where they are ,we still aren't in a bad position but we need reinforcements in Jan a striker is a must we just need to get through this xmas period without losing touch  .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

We're halfway through - there's plenty of time and there will be plenty of twists in this yet. As fans, we don't have a lot of confidence or a particularly strong nerve - i think that might transmit to the players over the second half of the season and it's a concern.

We're in the race - at the start of the season I didn't think we'd make the playoffs this year - I now think we can - we're ugly, but we can do enough ugly to get us there. From there it's a lottery and whilst we don't look a great bet to win that lottery and we're struggling to beat the teams that will be around us at that time, I think our ugly, basic style might be a bit more robust under the pressure of the playoffs than maybe some of the teams that are more expansive - playing good football under pressure is more difficult than playing our simple  "defend/get it wide/try to score set pieces" game. 

It's horrible to watch at times and I think that we need to change it at the end of the season regardless of whether we're successful or not - but this could still be one of our most exciting seasons in years. I know it's a bit of a dirty word, but I'm optimistic.

I'm all for being optimistic, i do happen to think its the only way to be.....but seing as we are just talking amongst ourselves, all villa fans and hometruths......this is not just ugly, if it was i would be ok, but in the main, its incompetence.

Lets not confuse the two in pursuit of being optimistic.

when I feel I have to look through my fingers to watch a game or glance at the pidgeons in the roof to contain my composure or look at the floor for entertainment.....something is wrong.

I am not going to speculate as to where the problem/s lie, because its just stabbing in the dark.....but what I see and I'm talking basic stuff guys like getting beaten to just about EVERY aerial ball employed in a game......I call it shocking.

We can't protect a ball we get out muscled all over the park....its alarming, we can't put moves together, for constantly getting caught on the ball and clobbered.....We don't do it back, oh no that requires WORK, ****that for a game of marbles, we are Aston Villa.

I am unsure if we are just weak kneed of just down right ******* lazy.

Maybe they should listen to Micky Flannagan talking about the art of doing **** all.

Edited by TRO