2 Cardiff City 22 14 5 3 33 16 17 47

3 Bristol City 22 12 7 3 36 23 13 43

4 Derby County 22 12 5 5 35 21 14 41

5 Aston Villa 22 10 7 5 29 20 9 37

6 Sheffield United 22 12 1 9 34 27 7 37

7 Leeds United 22 11 3 8 34 26 8 36

8 Ipswich Town 22 11 2 9 37 32 5 35

9 Preston North End 22 9 8 5 26 22 4 35

Looking at the table, we cant move up even if we win and results go for us. Hopefully Bristol Will slip up at QPR as that United game would have taken a lot out of them. Id that happens we cut gap to 3 points and with them coming to Villa Park in few weeks we have a chance to close gap. Cardiff 10 points ahead which means its going to be practically impossible to catch them unless they have hit some terrible form which I cant see.  Derby I would say have the best chance of challenging Cardiff for 2nd. Its our own fault we blew it big time on Saturday 

Even by January 2nd this league could look very different.

We play 2 of the teams in the top 6, if we can take points there then we are back in it ( I know its a big if)

Wolves are gone now, like Newcastle last season there is no point discussing catching them.

Cardiff will slip at some point, although they have the easiest Christmas run in.

Bristol have Wolves and Villa to play.

Derby have Hull, Ipswich and Sheff Utd to play.

Sheff Utd have Villa and Derby.

As always its up to us to get back on the front foot and pick some points up in a crucial period. We just need Bruce to step up and let us play in a way we all know we can.

Edited by wilko154
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

As always its up to us to get back on the front foot and pick some points up in a crucial period. We just need Bruce to step up and let us play in a way we all know we can.

Can‘t & Won‘t

8 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

We play 2 of the teams in the top 6, if we can take points there then we are back in it ( I know its a big if)

Wolves are gone now, like Newcastle last season there is no point discussing catching them.

Cardiff will slip at some point, although they have the easiest Christmas run in.

Yeah you are right about Wolves unless the biggest crumble job in history happens they will win the league and rightly so with the money they have spent.

You are also right it is up to us, really we need to be going to Brentford and winning despite what happened last year. That wasn't a good night for us but it was the first game where bruce jumbled all the new players in and it was a disaster as they were not familiar with one another. i expect better and i think we can win that game with davis in.

Boro will be tough but I think we will be eager to avenge the cup defeat. we have a pretty good record at the riverside so fingers crossed. Before the big game against Bristol City, that is one we cannot afford to lose if we aspirations of top three.

But first we have sheffield united, this is Bruces chance to beat one of the top 6 at last. He needs to deliver. No more crappy performances like millwall and derby

4 hours ago, wilko154 said:

yes it's a very big if, given our record against the better sides in this division it's unlikely we'll do well against temas in the top 6 and we'll probably be closer to 6th than second come Jan 2nd.

Not directly about Villa, but something that will help you indirectly as it weakens a rival is that we (Bristol City) now have 10 games before the end of January, and only 1 or 2 could be classed as "easy" (if there is such a thing as an easy game in the Championship).

We have an average of less than 3 days between games with none of our injured players due back until February. I fully expect a drop off in form over this period, though a few signings in January may ease things 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Not directly about Villa, but something that will help you indirectly as it weakens a rival is that we (Bristol City) now have 10 games before the end of January, and only 1 or 2 could be classed as "easy" (if there is such a thing as an easy game in the Championship).

We have an average of less than 3 days between games with none of our injured players due back until February. I fully expect a drop off in form over this period, though a few signings in January may ease things 

Yeah I think the two cup games could knacker you out. As great as it was for you to beat United surely the owners will prefer promotion?

38 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah I think the two cup games could knacker you out. As great as it was for you to beat United surely the owners will prefer promotion?

I expect that's true, we came so close 10 years ago and then went about things totally the wrong way after losing the playoff final and it set us back years, ultimately resulting in relegation.

In the summer after relegation the club announced a new way of going about buisiness, 2 years later we have arguably our most successful season ever and 4.5 years down the line we are 3rd and in a semi final.

If I were to go completely overboard and delude myself into thinking it possible I think I'd take winning the cup over promotion (as long as we were in the mix again the next season) mainly as it would be our first major trophy, but also European football at AG is something I'd never have dreamed being something I'd witness.

I've been expecting us to drop off for a few weeks because of all the injuries we have had- on Wednesday we had 5 players out of position, one reserve player and needed 5 youth to fill the bench- somehow we have defied this but with the fixture pile up and some very tough games my worries are still there.

Our owner is a Bristolian billionaire who invested in us because of his son, so our future is pretty secure, but he wants us to become self sustainable and promotion is ultimately necessary for that to happen.

Edited by JamesBCFC

52 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I expect that's true, we came so close 10 years ago and then went about things totally the wrong way after losing the playoff final and it set us back years, ultimately resulting in relegation.

In the summer after relegation the club announced a new way of going about buisiness, 2 years later we have arguably our most successful season ever and 4.5 years down the line we are 3rd and in a semi final.

If I were to go completely overboard and delude myself into thinking it possible I think I'd take winning the cup over promotion (as long as we were in the mix again the next season) mainly as it would be our first major trophy, but also European football at AG is something I'd never have dreamed being something I'd witness.

I've been expecting us to drop off for a few weeks because of all the injuries we have had- on Wednesday we had 5 players out of position, one reserve player and needed 5 youth to fill the bench- somehow we have defied this but with the fixture pile up and some very tough games my worries are still there.

Our owner is a Bristolian billionaire who invested in us because of his son, so our future is pretty secure, but he wants us to become self sustainable and promotion is ultimately necessary for that to happen.

Good luck to ya

I always wondered if a team from Bristol got their act together how far they could go. I should imagine the surrounding areas would be a potentially big pool to attract fans from.

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

I've met a few of the higher ups at BCFC through work. Very business focused and I think they realise how big Bristol could be given the talent pool that you can select from and the money behind you. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

... and you still beat Man Utd!

We have been playing players out of position all season, not due to injuries half the time though sadly and we tend to prefer to keep strikers on the bench and play an either ageing defender or a loanee midfielder in attack instead.

I would hate to think what would have happened to us against Man Utd setting up the same way.. we would have been lucky to beat FC Utd of Manchester I think!..

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

... and you still beat Man Utd!

We have been playing players out of position all season, not due to injuries half the time though sadly and we tend to prefer to keep strikers on the bench and play an either ageing defender or a loanee midfielder in attack instead.

I would hate to think what would have happened to us against Man Utd setting up the same way.. we would have been lucky to beat FC Utd of Manchester I think!..

It's probably a bit cheeky of me to still call Reid a midfielder playing as a striker as he has played there nearly all season, enforced by our injuries pre-season, and has been a revelation. But outside of a couple of youth seasons 10-12 years ago he had always been a midfielder.

With the Man City game we will probably take a similar approach, albeit a bit less attacking as Johnson aims to win every game. If we can win, draw or even hold them to just beating us by a single goal then I wouldnt write us off for the second leg at another packed out Ashton Gate.

Anyway, I'd like to thank you all for the nice words about City following that game and I'll let this thread get back to being about your promotion push.

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

Im not sure if throwing European competition into the mix would help with promotion tbh!

Bruce was complaining about having us travel to Boro during a grueling xmas period and we couldnt have a local game like forest away. He has a point its utterly stupid. Just like when they had us go to Newcastle on a bloody Monday Night 

18 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Im not sure if throwing European competition into the mix would help with promotion tbh!

It wouldnt, and with a cup run fixtures would be a nightmare.

But everyone dreams of seeing their club play the best and while the Europa League is far from the Champions League, 4 years ago today we were rooted bottom of League 1 with something like 2 league wins all season, if someone had said to me then that in 4 years Bristol City would be 3 games away from a spot in Europe I'd have had them sectioned.

Of course it's still extremely improbable but there is a sense of something special happening in Bristol right now.

6 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Extra games will cost you.

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

I don‘t think Bruce-Ball would work in Europe.

......or were you not talking about us?

• Haha 1