17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

December was a crucial month for us and we have failed to deliver.

This season is more frustrating than last season because we have better players and a manager that has been able settle. It makes it more frustrating when our neighbours decide to hire a quality manager and quality players and play the most scintillating football we have seen at this level for years. 

The reality is that we are stuck, stuck in this predicament, stuck to see what Steve Bruce can achieve this season and stuck with the same quality of football and tactics. 

When i see our players on the pitch I see glimpses of real quality but i just feel like the manager has just thrown these players on to the pitch without any sort of direction.

As for promotion, a few weeks ago I was confident of a top 2 finish. Now i feel like we may just scrap play offs.

But we haven't been able to beat the teams in the top 6 this season so how likely are we to beat them with the added pressure of promotion?

Bruce has stabilised us and we have been able to beat poor teams below the top 10 but that is it.  

If promotion is not achieved this season. A lot of people need to be made accountable for this failure. 

Edited by Reivax_Villa

7 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Meh, play-offs even looking doubtful. We haven't lost many times but things change quickly in this league. Injuries are killing us. 

Injuries ?  We have pretty much accrued the same points per game ever since Bruce took over.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Meh, play-offs even looking doubtful. We haven't lost many times but things change quickly in this league. Injuries are killing us. 

I think they are and long terms ones in to the bargain......However, we cannot look forward to any kind of future playing as we do.

I fail to understand the thoughts behind entering a season with promotion thoughts and having 5 strikers and 2 of those inexperienced academy players.....for sure we have had bad luck with a bad injury to one and another who fails to score after showing good signs of it at his previous club.

I just hope that the bit of momentum we did build up, will not evaporate by the time re-enforcements arrive.

I think we can all ease our own pain by forgetting auto promotion.

11 minutes ago, Jareth said:

They are...but sadly, its more to do with who to( key players) and how long( too long)

However, The style of football is a major concern.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

They are...but sadly, its more to do with who to( key players) and how long( too long)

However, The style of football is a major concern.

Agreed on the football, not consistently good enough. But I do have some sympathy due to the injuries - we all know them but to list them out - our captain Terry injured, his back-up injured, Grealish and Green and jedinak from the start of the season - injured, Kodjia injured, Hogan always injured, even Mcormack who we don't even want playing for us - long term injured. Even today, our only match fit striker Davis - injured. 

• Like 1

League Table correlation to Villa results;

Wolves LOST

Cardiff LOST

Bristol City DREW

Derby LOST

Sheffield Utd (23rd, but can we see a pattern..?!)

Leeds DREW

8th Preston WON (Highest place team beaten)

Ipswich WON

Middlesborough DREW

Nottingham Forest WON

Fulham WON

Brentford DREW

Reading LOST

Sheffield Weds LOST

16th Norwich WON (first of our 6 wins, 60% of our wins, against bottom 9 team)

Millwall DREW

QPR WON

Hull DRAW

Barnsley WON

Sunderland WON

Burton WON

Bolton WON

Birmingham DREW

If anything this points to our league position currently quite flattering us. We beat lowly teams, we can't do anything against top teams and we have a fairly equal split between W,L,D against average team. In summary we're an average team and we'll be doing well to get a playoff place. Automatic promotion as a hope/ expectation is laughable.

31 minutes ago, terrytini said:

22 Games, 1.68 per game = 77 Points -p robably not even Play Offs

Last 11 games, 1.63 per game = 75 points - not even Play Offs

We are going nowhere.

Terry, that at present, is becoming harder by the game to argue against.

• Like 1

2-0 defeat to Wolves
3-0 defeat to Cardiff
1-1 draw to Bristol City
2-0 defeat to Derby

Sheffield United next week to finish off that awful top 6 record. I'm sorry but if anyone really thinks we'd make it through the playoffs you're deluded. 

• Like 2

Let's be kind and suggest we'll get a point against Sheffield Utd. Then let's split the league in to 3; the good (top 8 minus us), the average, the bad (bottom 8).

Points return vs Good teams - 6pts from 7 games (0.85 per game)

Points return vs Average teams - 14pts from 8 games (1.75 per game)

Points return vs Bad teams - 18pts from 8 games (2.25)

So in summary, if we just play the bottom 8 teams we might just scrape automatic promotion form.

• Like 2