17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

1 hour ago, Deisler123 said:

Just curious, why do you use monkey king as your avatar image?

First thing I found that I liked when I signed up for the site years ago. I can change it if it bugs you? I am probably due anyways :)

But yeah I loved the show as a kid. MONKAY!!!! :)

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

19 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Monkey has a bit of a cult following in the UK. 

As for yours Dave is that Harry worth? Serious question as it looks the spitting image of him in the 80s 

Edited by Eastie

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I never thought I would see the day rigo defending Bruce? Am I in the twilight zone?!

The man has rightfully proved a lot of us wrong, me included.

There is no denying where he has got us so far has now been spectacular to witness.

Thank f*** the dark days are behind us.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

The man has rightfully proved a lot of us wrong, me included.

There is no denying where he has got us so far has now been spectacular to witness.

Thank f*** the dark days are behind us.

Absolutely mate, I opened a poll about next manager also! So we are guilty of doubting him during the torrid run. I think if we lose a game or a result doesnt go our way then we ought to stick with bruce until the summer. He has delivered and it shows since we have our full team we are excellent side and he knows how to get them playing.

Lets hope we go on a wolves type run. Its just a shame we are not playing wolves anytime soon as i think they will be shitting themselves coming up against a full strength on form Villa

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

First thing I found that I liked when I signed up for the site years ago. I can change it if it bugs you? I am probably due anyways :)

But yeah I loved the show as a kid. MONKAY!!!! :)

It was a genuine question - I can recognise that being a Japanese version of the TV drama about the Chinese classic 'Journey to the West'. I was surprised that it was even known to people in this country. Was it even broadcast here in the UK before?

Sorry OOT.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Deisler123 said:

It was a genuine question - I can recognise that being a Japanese version of the TV drama about the Chinese classic 'Journey to the West'. I was surprised that it was even known to people in this country. Was it even broadcast here in the UK before?

Sorry OOT.

No worries. Yeah it was shown here in the UK back in the 80's or70's. As others have mentioned it's kind of a cult classic. I was being genuine as well. Sometimes certain avatars can be irritating. So if mine bugs you just say the word and I am happy to change it :) 

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Deisler123 said:

Sorry OOT.

Yep, pretty much all of my friends used to love Monkey. It was a constant topic of discussion of at school break time. Reminding myself of the plot (from Wikipedia) it seems Monkey and fellow pilgrims were on a quest to retrieve holy scriptures and had to overcome enemies that were trying to stop them on the way. Perhaps this all a big metaphor for Villa trying to get back to the Premier League and therefore is actually completely on topic :-)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Deisler123 said:

Sorry OOT.

Me and my brother would have been about 4 and 7 when it was shown on BBC2 at 6pm back in the day. We have the 7" single (I think it's the most scratched bit of vinyl I own unfortunately, but shows it was well loved!) I believe it got to #56 in the charts. 'Gandara' still plays ok though on the other side. Only Godiego in my collection though :) My Mum was actually talking about Monkey a few months ago. She says it was her favourite thing that we used to watch with her when we were little. We got so excited as little people with flying on the cloud and all that but my Mum says she liked how it had a good moral compass. I pointed out how it's pretty mysogenistic (or at least the english dubbing is) and pretty violent for what was basically a show aimed at kids but that's also kinda why we all still love it as it's quite anarchic and doesn't take itself too seriously underpinned with a bit of Buddhist philosophy. 100% our favourite programme growing up though. Nothing else came close. Kinda like Bruce Lee for kids. Maybe that's why I love badly dubbed Kung-Fu movies so much!

Channel 4 then in the 90's I think dubbed the episodes that the BBC had never done back in the day and screened them then late night sometime. Like Doug says though a cult following over here for sure.

Apparently there's a new reboot just out on Netflix (I haven't got netflix atm so I don't know for sure)

Anyway that first time it was screened over here would have been 1980/81 sort of time so it coincided with us doing rather well ;) if we're looking for promotion omens then that's something vague and random to cling on to while at the same time getting back near to on topic.

5 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Yep, pretty much all of my friends used to love Monkey. It was a constant topic of discussion of at school break time. Reminding myself of the plot (from Wikipedia) it seems Monkey and fellow pilgrims were on a quest to retrieve holy scriptures and had to overcome enemies that were trying to stop them on the way. Perhaps this all a big metaphor for Villa trying to get back to the Premier League and therefore is actually completely on topic :-)

With you all the way. Triptaka can be played by Johnstone as we must protect him against all assaults, Pigsy has to be Terry who despite his lustful nature is handy in a fight, Grealish as monkey - the impudent youthful monkey king, Not so sure about Sandy or Horse but there'll be demons along the way, battles to be fought, distractions like in "what Monkey calls the Dog Woman" and "Pigsy woos a widow" but gotta stay on the mission and learn and grow along the way.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I never thought I would see the day rigo defending Bruce? Am I in the twilight zone?!

He is just as entitled to the "love in" as you and me:D

• Haha 1