17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

I honestly can't see this Villa team losing again this season. Maybe a couple of draws but it will be a freak if someone beats us. 

If we beat Wolves the gap between us will be 9 points. Couple of bad results for them and it starts getting to squeaky bum time.

20 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I get where people are coming from, our moves are better as he is a ball hogger in the final third.

However let's not forget him and Adomah linked up pretty well at times last season and Albert is a different player this year.

True, but Albert only got 3 goals last year. He was 14 so far? Is that down to Kodija not being in the team so he has a bigger role to play?

Difficult to say isn't it. 

9 hours ago, Jareth said:

I think we are deffo due some bad luck, whether that’s a poor ref or like an injury to someone vital. I don’t doubt us though. 

We've had enough bad luck over the last 5 or 6 years! 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Xela said:

True, but Albert only got 3 goals last year. He was 14 so far? Is that down to Kodija not being in the team so he has a bigger role to play?

Difficult to say isn't it. 

I think it's more down to him being asked to make forward runs from midfield when backline pushes up. If you remember against Forest it was Kodija that put him through in this situation. 

6 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Guys, I wouldn't worry about Derby too much.

At the moment, we are slightly over achieving, we expected to make the play-offs but getting up to 2nd for a few weeks was nice.

The quality of your squad is better than ours, partly because you can attract better players with your parachute payments.

As it was mentioned, we do often have a poor February-March but mostly that was down to injuries/McClaren because of his love for 4-3-3. To be blunt, we were always flaky under him though it was joyful to watch at times.

This time around, Rowett has solidified things so we very rarely lose, problem is we draw too many games because we're not positive enough, and we're short of a winger.

Now you're in 2nd on the back of 7 wins, playing well and more importantly playing for Mr Potato Head, it's nailed on. 

Chill out. Relax 2nd place is yours. I just hope the play-off final is ours!

Nice try ;)

I can see 2nd being won by the finest margins. Could even be goal difference.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I asked this is another thread too - when was the last time we won 8 in a row?

There's a 9 game run back in 1910 apparently. Our record is 11 in 1897 I believe although that includes a couple of cup games. I don't know anything about the even numbers though :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I honestly can't see this Villa team losing again this season. Maybe a couple of draws but it will be a freak if someone beats us. 

If we beat Wolves the gap between us will be 9 points. Couple of bad results for them and it starts getting to squeaky bum time.

I wouldn't go that far. All it takes is a couple.injuries and we could. Full squad not many will. But i think we probably will pick up injuries to some players 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

The freak strike from Adam Reach (sheffWed) The stumble from Jt and the shot from Sam Gallagher, which could of gone in, the Liam Boyce goal at the end against Burton.

These things can happen.

We just need to keep on winning, be confident......but not expect it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Guys, I wouldn't worry about Derby too much.

At the moment, we are slightly over achieving, we expected to make the play-offs but getting up to 2nd for a few weeks was nice.

The quality of your squad is better than ours, partly because you can attract better players with your parachute payments.

As it was mentioned, we do often have a poor February-March but mostly that was down to injuries/McClaren because of his love for 4-3-3. To be blunt, we were always flaky under him though it was joyful to watch at times.

This time around, Rowett has solidified things so we very rarely lose, problem is we draw too many games because we're not positive enough, and we're short of a winger.

Now you're in 2nd on the back of 7 wins, playing well and more importantly playing for Mr Potato Head, it's nailed on. 

Chill out. Relax 2nd place is yours. I just hope the play-off final is ours!

I agree. Not enough leaders in your team. You'll bottle it as always. 

40 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Nice, although from where i'm sitting you are still very much dangerous in my opinion.

Tell me the same thing when we have a 9 point gap with 3 games to go and I may just believe you. This league is going to be very tight this season.

Yourself (If you're representing Derby) and Fulham are just as much in with a shout for 2nd as us.

However, I disagree with your logic that we can attract better players cause of our parachute payments. 

- FFP rules have not allowed us to really do any big business this season unless it's loans or free signings. Steve Bruce was given a transfer kitty of £1m in the summer - hardly going to bring Sergio Aguero here now is it ;).

Steve Bruce has also had to offload in a large quantity to enable us to bring any type of quality in, whether they be sold or loaned out off the wage bill, and what he has achieved combined if we make 2nd then that in itself he deserves manager of the season for imo, so it's not like we will have 'brought 2nd place' but more managerially master minded on a shoe string budget with astute quality, sensible signings.

Hopefully the quality will prevail.

To clarify, all clubs in this division have to sell to buy, unless you're Wolves. What i'm really saying is that you have greater pulling power. As for manager of the season? Not Bruce, look lower down to Burton/Bolton/Brentford. Wasn't that long ago a good chunk of you wanted Bruce out and Dean Smith in.

31 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I agree. Not enough leaders in your team. You'll bottle it as always. 

utter tripe, particularly this season,as i tried to explain. You think Curtis Davies, Tom Huddlestone, Joe Ledley are bottlers?

Which particular season did we bottle it? How does that team compare to the current one? Researched it or just made a pointless comment to garner some likes?

Or just prodding me for a response? I can take it.

It grinds my gears when fans of other clubs come here and get overly aggressive without really understanding the nature of the forum. 

Mind you, some of our own are just as bad.

For what it's worth I too think Derby will fall away. I think Fulham are the team to watch. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

utter tripe, particularly this season,as i tried to explain. You think Curtis Davies, Tom Huddlestone, Joe Ledley are bottlers?

Which particular season did we bottle it? How does that team compare to the current one? Researched it or just made a pointless comment to garner some likes?

Or just prodding me for a response? I can take it.

Hook, line and sinker! ;)

Is it true you have gone 24 games without a defeat? Pretty impressive.

Ive only see you against us and you were the better team on the day although we were on a bad run and really missing a stable back 4.