17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

1 hour ago, osmark86 said:

Shit that's terrible news.

Well, obviously it is terrible news.

But we have achieved most of what we have achieved this season without him so maybe the squad  - and , yes that is the one put together by the hated Steve Bruce - is resilient enough without him?

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

The better teams in the league still have to come to VP and they will not like that. Derby are in the position but they are catchable. Keep getting the results and automatic is there for us.

With a good point haul over the next month, VP should be a fortress the rest of the way.

2 minutes ago, rubberman said:

I know it's still a long way off, but that penultimate game against Derby is beginning to look like it could be the equivalent of the playoff final. 

I notice Fulham are now also coming up strong;y on the rails - derby can have the pressure for now , they have cracked twice in March and April in recent years and let’s hope they crack again 

Considering there is still 57 points left to play for i wouldn't rule anything out just yet. 

Yam-yams starting to feel the pinch a bit :D 

_99585019_nunoespiritosanto_pa.jpg

Edited by Kingman

This is the next 10 games, Derby and us. This is more than half the games left this season, and we don't play our hardest games until the end. Need to close in on Derby.

Next games Derby first, and then Aston Villa:

Bristol city home  vs      Barnsley home

Millwall away         vs       sheffielU away    

Brentford home     Vs      Burton home

Norwich home       Vs      blues home

SheffWed away      vs      Fulham away      (The only weekend were we have a harder game than Derby)

Leeds home             vs    Preston home

Reading away          vs    SheffWed away

Fulham home.         vs     Qpr home

Edited by villa82

1 minute ago, villa82 said:

This is the next 10 games, Derby and us. This is more than half the games left this season, and we don't play our hardest games until the end. Need to close in on Derby.

SheffWedaway      vs      Fulham away      (The only weekend were we have a harder game than Derby)

Have to say derby have a good run of games coming up. 

As for derby rowett tends to have a wobble period around Feb match time. Let's hope again that happens. Derby have crumbled before. Shows how much that stupid moment stake from whelan was. We would be two points behind them if that ended a draw which I think it would o had whelan not done that :angry:

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

As for derby rowett tends to have a wobble period around Feb match time. Let's hope again that happens. Derby have crumbled before. Shows how much that stupid moment stake from whelan was. We would be two points behind them if that ended a draw which I think it would o had whelan not done that :angry:

Had we won that one game we would be in 2nd place now which shows how tight it is

We've let ourselves down at times this season when we've had the chance to catch up a bit after the awful start. Sheff Weds, SHA, Wolves spring to mind. Nice to have a good weekend when a few others stutter a bit. More of the same please.

Cardiff - Leeds - Ipswich - Derby - Millwall our last 5 games. Hard to see it not going down to the wire. 3 massive looking games there already - assuming we stay in the hunt.

Edited by VILLAMARV

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Hopefully Bristol will put a game in but they seem amess at the moment. I think they will drop out with Sheffield united and the other two teams will be between Fulham/boro/leeds

Thats how I see it , although I think Cardiff will also slip away .

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jareth said:

"It was interesting to hear the Villa fans mocking us, Bruce flicking the ball all over the gaffe - we're still three points above them." - Lee Johnson. 

Don't understand the second part of the quote regarding Bruce.

I thought Bristol City would dip a bit after the Man. United win but if they lose to Derby and then lose second leg that will be I think 8 straight defeats in all competitions.

They're too good a team for that so I'm hopeful they'll go to Derby and get something.

I think another 40 points will be enough for second and we've got a very winnable run of games over the next month so I'd be disappointed if we haven't decreased the gap.

Derby got Millwall away and they don't lose at home so that's another I'm hopeful they'll drop points in.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Hopefully Bristol will put a game in but they seem amess at the moment. I think they will drop out with Sheffield united and the other two teams will be between Fulham/boro/leeds

Wouldnt say we're a mess right now.

Obviously 5 defeats in a row looks bad, but there's perspective behind each one.

Wolves, shocking decision making cost us, narrow defeat to the best team in the league.

Villa, injuries and number of games takes its toll, mixed with a good Villa performance (at this point we had something like 7 players who played more minutes than anyone in Europe in December, and no options to rotate them)

Watford, u23 side with 3 senior players beaten by a strong Premier League side.

Man City, away at one of the best teams in Europe.

Norwich, the first one to have any real concern over.

What it vital is that the run doesn't go on past Derby/QPR.

Home game against Man City will likely be a defeat too, but fully expected.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa82 said:

SheffWed away      vs      Fulham away      (The only weekend were we have a harder game than Derby)

Interestingly we are always home and away in the same round of fixtures. Our home games look more favourable. Only 3 away games in the next 10. 

We need to make Villa Park a fortress!!

34 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Wouldnt say we're a mess right now.

Obviously 5 defeats in a row looks bad, but there's perspective behind each one.

Wolves, shocking decision making cost us, narrow defeat to the best team in the league.

Villa, injuries and number of games takes its toll, mixed with a good Villa performance (at this point we had something like 7 players who played more minutes than anyone in Europe in December, and no options to rotate them)

Watford, u23 side with 3 senior players beaten by a strong Premier League side.

Man City, away at one of the best teams in Europe.

Norwich, the first one to have any real concern over.

What it vital is that the run doesn't go on past Derby/QPR.

Home game against Man City will likely be a defeat too, but fully expected.

Losing becomes a habit, we know that all too well.

46 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Losing becomes a habit, we know that all too well.

I was going to say this. Nothing more confidence destroying than playing very well and still losing. If you play shit you can write it off as a bad day etc. 

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I think they deserved the win on chances. We struggled with Jed in defence.