Pre Match Thread

pacbuddies

We wont lose again this season lads. Premier league here we come.

3 in a row.. go for one more.. 

Sorry i have been drinking early this evening. 

• Like 3

Due to injuries the team pretty much picks itself. Keeper, back four, midfield three will stay the same as last three games with Amavi coming in wide left, Adomah right and Kodjia up top. I think that continuity in the team can only be a good thing. Be interesting to see which youngsters make the bench.

As for the game it is a tough one but it may well play into our hands if Huddersfiled come at us and we can catch them by breaking quickly. A win here and we can definitely say a corner has been turned. I think we will sneak it by the odd goal either 0-1 or 1-2.

Huddersfield have injuries as well. Pressure's off, a settled-ish team and formation, Kodjia on form, Hourihane on form, and I saw a stat on Twatter yesterday that said every game Chester, Baker and Jedi have started we have either won or drawn (can't be feckered to fact check that though). I tink we'll draw this one 2-2.  

With Thor's injury probably ruling him out for the rest of the season and Amavi replacing him this is probably going to be the team that most Villa fans wanted to see on the pitch. Bar further injuries it will be interesting to see how this better balanced side imo does tonight and Saturday against two of the best teams in the Championship?

Bruce may just have stumbled via injuries on his best team?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, pacbuddies said:

As a Villa fan did you ever in your life imagine that one day you would be uttering those words?

It's not a comparitive statement though.  Huddersfield would still be at the level they're at no matter where we are.  With Villa top of the Premier League or bottom of the Championship, the statement 'Huddersfield are good' would be equally as valid.  It's credit to Wagner.

On a relate note, I do wonder are his detractors still calling him flavour of the month or are we allowed to contemplate yet that he might be a good manager?  I'd hate to jump the gun on that :P

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, BOF said:

It's not a comparitive statement though.  Huddersfield would still be at the level they're at no matter where we are.  With Villa top of the Premier League or bottom of the Championship, the statement 'Huddersfield are good' would be equally as valid.  It's credit to Wagner.

On a relate note, I do wonder are his detractors still calling him flavour of the month or are we allowed to contemplate yet that he might be a good manager?  I'd hate to jump the gun on that :P

Probably not, as he's continued doing well with Huddersfield.  Gary Rowett is mentioned nowhere as much anymore, though.

1 hour ago, striker said:

With Thor's injury probably ruling him out for the rest of the season and Amavi replacing him this is probably going to be the team that most Villa fans wanted to see on the pitch. Bar further injuries it will be interesting to see how this better balanced side imo does tonight and Saturday against two of the best teams in the Championship?

Bruce may just have stumbled via injuries on his best team?

The dark side of me whispers in my own ear.

Imagine the injuries forcing his hand earlier

Hindsight also whispers to me that we have a lucky manager rather than the manager who suits us

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grasshopper said:

The dark side of me whispers in my own ear.

Imagine the injuries forcing his hand earlier

Hindsight also whispers to me that we have a lucky manager rather than the manager who suits us

Is the game not 50% luck? I never used to believe in it, thought you made your own luck in football. But it has been our saviour and our destroyer on so many occasions. 

Maybe he'd have gotten something else to work, who knows. He has said that they decided to go back to what worked previous regardless of the injuries. You can call bullshit on that if you like, it doesn't really matter in the end. Onwards and upwards. 

51 minutes ago, BOF said:

I was one. It is clear I was wrong. 

He never wanted to come here anyway so it's by the by. Would I and others have been so forgiving of him if he'd taken a while to get going? If he'd needed a bit of 'luck' on the way? Who knows. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Is the game not 50% luck? I never used to believe in it, thought you made your own luck in football. But it has been our saviour and our destroyer on so many occasions.

10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will. 5% pleasure, 50% pain, 100% reason to remember the name... Aston Villa.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Maybe he'd have gotten something else to work, who knows. He has said that they decided to go back to what worked previous regardless of the injuries. You can call bullshit on that if you like, it doesn't really matter in the end. Onwards and upwards. 

I think it was Fergie who once explained that if the ball is in the oppositions penalty area pinging around and you have a pack of hungry wolves (hungrier than your opposition) hunting the ball down luck has a choice 50/50 either it falls for you or them.

Now the actuality of that is when the ball keeps going in the oppositions box one of those 50/50's that is your luck eventually comes. The more you force it the more the luck is likely - hence Fergie time.

This is the main reason why I detest sitting back, letting the opposition have the initiative to eventually cash in on their luck.

Add the fact that we've had a very dodgy keeper since Jan. Gollini before him prone to mistakes, our defence being shaky be it through Hutton, Elphick, Amavi or Chester/Baker catching the chicken-pox. Very little protection from either no Jedi or a MF containing Westwood, Gardner and Bacuna (before Jan) Then the LAST tactic we should be employing is to sit back.

Add the fact that we had a bundle of talent up front the master stroke would have been to try our luck up front rather than sit back and hang on

Disclaimer - The RDM theory of only 1 or at times NO MF not being what I mean as the alternative

• Like 3

@Grasshopper

Absolutely agree that sitting back has done us very little good over the past couple of months. It has been my biggest bug bear, we've not tried to take the game by the balls often enough. 

However, I look at say the Brentford game. I was there and for the first 20 minutes we were all over them, we had 2 or 3 good chances. Ball in and around the box. We didn't take advantage, they scored and the heads dropped. 

Why did their heads drop so suddenly and irretrievably? I don't know. As the man in charge, a large proportion of the blame goes on the manager, but he hasn't had that 'luck' we speak of at times either. 

It took him a long time to turn that around, though we are STILL struggling to take advantage in the box. I was at Rotherham too, we should have been 5 up at half time. Poor finishing let us down, again. 

So, if you ask me his luck has balanced out. 35 points from 23 games, or whatever it is, isn't good enough I know. But hopefully it's enough to give them a boost moving forward. 

Tonight is hopefully another step in the right direction. Even if we lose the game, we need to keep showing that desire to be better. 

Man for man we're probably better than them of course we all know it doesn't work like that. Just hope we want it as much as they definitely will tonight because in terms of the league table we're kinda in no mans land so easy to just tune out.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

I am still not convinced he’d have been ready to come here. Managing Aston Villa with the expectation and pressure that comes with it is a million miles away from managing Huddersfield.

He has done a fantastic job there this season but it is a still a relatively short period to judge him on. We have seen other managers over the years do what he is doing at present, and more, at similar sized clubs. Managers like Paul Jewell, Owen Coyle etc.

That is not to say he couldn’t have done well here but it would have been a gamble and I think we were right to go for the safer pair of hands. One of the areas Bruce has really impressed me is during our dire run under him he stayed calm and assured and never wavered in his belief that we would turn things around. I am not so sure an inexperienced manager would have handled that pressure so well.

• Like 1