Pre Match Thread

pacbuddies

This one will be altogether trickier. I think I could be persuaded to take a draw right now.

This is the worst injury situation I can remember the club having over the last 15-20 years and we're really down to the bare bones.

----------------------Johnstone-------------------

Hutton--------Chester-------Baker--------Taylor

------------------------Jedinak--------------------

-------------Lansbury-------Hourihane----------

Adomah------------------------------------Amavi

-------------------------Kodjia--------------------

Is how I think we'll line up, although I might be tempted into playing Keinan Davis up front with Kodjia on the left.

Subs

Bunn, Bree, Elphick, Richards, Davis and erm...........

It's astonishing to think we've spent a fortune on this squad over the last 18 months and we're unlikely to be able to fill the bench for a league game without starting to issue numbers to players most of us haven't heard of.

• Like 1

To be fair though.. with the exception of Amavi.. the rest are probably in our best starting side when all fit. I'd like to see Bree get a run instead of Amavi.. Adomah can switch wings.

8 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

So, when did we last win four on the trot?

December 2009 by the looks of it.

Aston Villa 3-0 v Hull City
Manchester United 0-1 Aston Villa*
Sunderland 0-2 Aston Villa
Aston Villa 1-0 Stoke City

* no, seriously 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

I still maintain we can beat any of these 24 teams in a one off game and Aston Villa should never have a complex about playing Huddersfield Town. Never. Let them worry about us.

Although theres a part of me that understands this (and wants it to be true) I cant help but feel it has contributed to this seasons failures!

This will be an interesting match and isn't as unbalanced as league positions suggest. Whilst we've lost a lot of players through injury, we do still have a decent enough team with a fair bit of momentum. Thankfully we haven't lost players in defensive positions, nor from the spine of the team which should ensure the game remains tight. The wide positions and up top are more interchangeable. Huddersfield have a lot more to lose than we do which could favour us. Kodjia is evidently capable of something special at any point. Think we have a chance of nicking a result if we don't concede in the first half. Lets see how it goes. Great to be getting this much football as we needed to turn things around and build some character and momentum. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

I still maintain we can beat any of these 24 teams in a one off game and Aston Villa should never have a complex about playing Huddersfield Town. Never. Let them worry about us.

This is arrogant and presumptuous and disrespectful and exactly how I feel and I love it! UTV!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrassyNoel said:

This is arrogant and presumptuous and disrespectful and exactly how I feel and I love it! UTV!!

Definitely wasn't intended to come across that way. Have the height of admiration for the season Huddersfield have had. Very talented side. Do i think we'll respect them Tuesday night ? I should bloody hope so. If we don't they'll put us away. But this team need to firmly believe they can beat Huddersfield and again it's not meant in an arrogant way it's meant that our boys are bloody good players who need to enjoy and embrace playing for the villa and not be crippled with fear which is how we have been for large parts of the season. Arrogance hasn't been the problem. 

11 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

December 2009 by the looks of it.

Aston Villa 3-0 v Hull City
Manchester United 0-1 Aston Villa*
Sunderland 0-2 Aston Villa
Aston Villa 1-0 Stoke City

* no, seriously 

Hmmmm, OK, well what about 5 then? (He asks optimistically)

21 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Hmmmm, OK, well what about 5 then? (He asks optimistically)

Hmm I sense this dynamic could go on indefinitely. ;)

But having done a quick search...

Spoiler

I think the last time Villa won five league games on the bounce was during Gregory's first few months.

March - April 1998

Aston Villa 3-1 Crystal Palace
Everton 1-4 Aston Villa
Aston Villa 2-0 West Ham
Coventry 1-2 Aston Villa
Southampton 1-2 Aston Villa

These results were sandwiched between home defeats against Barnsley and Bolton. I was at the Barnsley game, I sure can pick them.

Regarding the Huddersfield game, I'd probably take a point if you offered it to me now. But I have a sneaky feeling we may just nick this. 0-1 to Villa.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Hmm I sense this dynamic could go on indefinitely. ;)

But having done a quick search...

Reveal hidden contents

I think the last time Villa won five league games on the bounce was during Gregory's first few months.

March - April 1998

Aston Villa 3-1 Crystal Palace
Everton 1-4 Aston Villa
Aston Villa 2-0 West Ham
Coventry 1-2 Aston Villa
Southampton 1-2 Aston Villa

These results were sandwiched between home defeats against Barnsley and Bolton. I was at the Barnsley game, I sure can pick them.

Regarding the Huddersfield game, I'd probably take a point if you offered it to me now. But I have a sneaky feeling we may just nick this. 0-1 to Villa.

Why hide your research? 1998 it was indeed :thumb:. Shall we all agree to leave the 6 wins on the trot until we win on Tuesday night to get to 4?;)

• Like 2