Match Thread: Newcastle v Villa

limpid

Just now, brummybloke said:

2 things.

Morten harkett really doesn't offer much if anything apart from a bit of defensive cover.

Broke up 3 or 4 attacks by stopping and passing it back needlessly.

Throw ins. Is it law that Hutton takes every single throw in in the right ? 3 time morten harkett looked to take quick thrown in (only attacking thing he has donen ) Hutton has just walked expecting to take it thus again making us easy to defend against.

We haven't been too bad 1st half apart from being wide open on the left 5 or 6 times. Oh and the shit goal.

BuWmcx0IUAAL0LG.jpg

It seems unlucky but it's not - we are playing for 0-0 and hoping for a miracle. Constantly the wrong tactics with the players that we have available. Bjarnason doesn't look up to it to me. Lansbury and Hourihane wasted if we dont bother getting them on the ball in the opponents half. Bruce is a nice bloke but his brand of football is exactly the opposite of what we need

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, PatrickCousens said:

I actually think we played pretty well - very unlucky to be behind. 

Same old story though, we play crap we lose, we play decent we lose.

I hate the way we seem to concede such soft goals all the time. We never seem to score goals like the goal Newcastle scored today.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KSV said:

It's a new side and takes time to build those combinations. I think the 433 suits us as it makes us more solid. Hanson can't start as he offers nothing. Adomah should be starting. I don't see what Hogan offers yet.. been quite poor and not worth the money. We don't play to his strengths. Move Kodjia uptop and Green on the wing. Whip balls into Kodjia. Probably our best way to get goals this season 

Exactly. We bought Hogan and don't play to his strengths, because tactically we don't have a clue. He doesn't need time, we need a manager who will actually work with and coach a system in to these players. 

• Like 1

We've had no attacking game threat at all. They have a better midfield two than us and so we should switch to a 3-5-2 formation with Amavi replacing Taylor and Adomah replacing Hutton. That will make us more attacking and more of a goal threat. But, knowing Bruce, he'll probably wait til the 75th minute and replace Thor with Grealish before throwing on Bacuna for Jedinak on 80 followed by Green for Kodjia on 85.

• Like 1

Just now, villianusa said:

I might say yes but have no confidence in Grealish at all.

I have to say it's more blind hope than belief.

Possibly because Shelvey might try to kick him into the stands. It's a sad time that the only way I can see getting a result is through the opposition losing a player.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sonic_bouma said:

It's **** gut wrenching supporting us.

And I'm sorry but the whole we are unlucky every shot is goin in doesn't wash. We've been comfortable in this game because Newcastle haven't been in our box.

Get the ball in our box we shut ourselves and you score. 

It reallY is simple as that

Newcastle haven't turned up. They are playing shit and find themselves one nil up. When we still can't string 3 passes together and remain impotent going forward I can't see how anyone can say we are playing well

Yes just about sums it up for me.

Yeah we've worked hard and contained Newcastle for 40 minutes, but its all huff and puff, hit and hope hoofball. Closest we've come is a deflected cross.

And set pieces are becoming a real issue, we look all over the place at them.

3 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

I'd just rather have Kodjia on the field than Birkir. Kodjia at least has the ability to create something out of nothing.

Birkir seems pretty timid. He isn't attacking defenders and almost seems confused in the RW spot. Hutton has done more offensively than Birkir has. 

For me, Green or Adomah has to come on. 

I'm not disagreeing - I think Adomah on for Bjarnason and Kodjia pushed forward in a proper 4-3-3 would give us something going forward - it just depends on what it does to our solidity.

I'm a bit worried about Jedinak and Lansbury not making 90 minutes.