The Manager thread

Xela

19 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Ideas above their station TBFH. 

Think they're just bored now. They've been in this division since 2002.

Mick's done a steady job but they've stagnated last two years, thought he might've gone last summer.

Two managers stand out for me this season:

Sean Dyche - Done a great job to get Burnley to 7th. Most of his signings are bang on and you also need to credit Burnley for sticking with him when they got relegated. Most teams use that as an excuse to sack someone but they didn't, backed him and are now reaping the benefits. 

Neil Warnock - Ok, we all know Colin W*anker is a grade A chunt but he has done remarkably well with Cardiff when you consider the players they have. If he gets them promoted he deserves all the plaudits. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Rafa should be manager of season for me, no budget relying on loans with nearly same squad that got relegated 2 years back

Dyche, Rafa then Pep for me.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Zatman said:

Rafa should be manager of season for me, no budget relying on loans with nearly same squad that got relegated 2 years back

This is probably the popular football myth at the moment - “Rafa has had no money to spend”.

I’d be willing to bet Newcastle have spent more than Huddersfield this season, having finished something like 15 points(?) ahead of Huddersfield last season and have also picked up some very decent loans.

Wagner’s achievements so far this season are ahead of Rafa by a considerable distance. I’d probably put Hughton above Rafa too.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bobzy said:

This is probably the popular football myth at the moment - “Rafa has had no money to spend”.

I’d be willing to bet Newcastle have spent more than Huddersfield this season, having finished something like 15 points(?) ahead of Huddersfield last season and have also picked up some very decent loans.

Wagner’s achievements so far this season are ahead of Rafa by a considerable distance. I’d probably put Hughton above Rafa too.

It's pretty close.

Aaron Mooy- 8m

Tom Ince- Undisclosed but would guess at about 5m.

Steve Mounie- 11.5m!

Mathias Jorgensen- 3.5m

Alex Pritchard- Undisclosed but wasn't it said in the papers it was about 10m?

Also took Kongolo from Monaco on loan in January.

Florian Lejeune- 8.7m

Jacob Murphy- 12m

Javi Manquillo- 4.2m

Joselu- 5m.

Mikel Merino- Undisclosed, maybe 3-4m?

Loans for Kenedy and Slimani in January.

Both have done well. Huddersfield will find it a lot tougher next season of course as will Newcastle if Rafa walks unless the club is sold as they're at their limit now with how Ashley runs things.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Lots of premier league managers have done good jobs this year, if Carvahal keeps Swansea up he deserves a shout as they were dead and buried at xmas.

Great shout - don’t think he can win manager of the season for that, but certainly shouldn’t go unnoticed. 

On 20/04/2018 at 13:28, Demitri_C said:

I definitely would. I think Wenger might be next England boss 

I’ve always said that he would be perfect as the head of the whole set up, overlooking all age groups. When St James’ was opened they should’ve gone and got him in then. I think now it’s too late, he appears to lost his hunger and drive hence the lacklustre performances lately. 

St Mirren's manager Jack Ross is one to watch.

Not been such feel good factor at club since Ferguson got them up as Champions in 1977 and his similarities between him and Ross are amazing. He has already turned down Barnsley and Ipswich. Only 42. Ferguson has already said he is the closest thing to a younger version him!! 

Not just saying it because i work for the Club he has really impressed me with his knowledge and how he comes across in Interviews. Glasgow Rangers are looking at him and moment and all their fans want him and few other Championship Clubs in England.

The way he has rebuilt St Mirren in 18months from near bottom of the League to Champions with games to spare should be commended.

• Like 1

On 16/04/2018 at 20:13, VillaChris said:

It's pretty close.

Aaron Mooy- 8m

Tom Ince- Undisclosed but would guess at about 5m.

Steve Mounie- 11.5m!

Mathias Jorgensen- 3.5m

Alex Pritchard- Undisclosed but wasn't it said in the papers it was about 10m?

Also took Kongolo from Monaco on loan in January.

Florian Lejeune- 8.7m

Jacob Murphy- 12m

Javi Manquillo- 4.2m

Joselu- 5m.

Mikel Merino- Undisclosed, maybe 3-4m?

Loans for Kenedy and Slimani in January.

Both have done well. Huddersfield will find it a lot tougher next season of course as will Newcastle if Rafa walks unless the club is sold as they're at their limit now with how Ashley runs things.

How many of those Rafa signings have been a success?

One or two of them (one being the most expensive) I've barely heard of and it's now April, not that I've followed them particularly closely this season.

4 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

How many of those Rafa signings have been a success?

One or two of them (one being the most expensive) I've barely heard of and it's now April, not that I've followed them particularly closely this season.

Kenedy's done well, the others have been squad players. Actually forgot the keeper they signed in January, he's been great in a few games.

Ironically these rubbish championship players like Lascelles, Matt Ritchie and Dummett have played good parts in keeping them up since January.

Â