Expectation

Jareth

Considering the money spent and the players in the squad compared to other squads I think villa are massively under achieving - a top 6 place was far from unreasonable to expect this season and I think players owner manager and fans should all be aiming for promotion next season and expecting to do so .

nothing wrong with ambition - it's time people started earning their wages rather than hiding behind excuses.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Overall as a fan-base and as a club I say that we need to lower expectations in the short-term - forget promotion, forget past glories and give the manager and new players room to breathe - what alternative is there?

What do you mean by short term? This season? If so I totally agree essentially write off this season and start to work to a system that works and is ready for next season.

Next season though? I expect promotion next season if i'm being honest.

• Like 2

Just now, dudevillaisnice said:

What do you mean by short term? This season? If so I totally agree essentially write off this season and start to work to a system that works and is ready for next season.

Next season though? I expect promotion next season if i'm being honest.

Thing is though, I can't expect promotion next season. Even if we gel, and play well, it is still a long campaign to qualify automatically. Not saying that's the same for everyone though.

I don't know what to expect anymore if I'm honest.  I've had my hopes dashed so many times that I almost know not to expect anything.

I can't argue with anything the club is doing at the moment, not one thing.  We've got a great owner who's doing everything possible to get us going again, but it's like trying to revive a dead body at the moment. 

• Like 4

I think the fans have been incredibly patient. We have spent on obscene amount of money in the last two years. Lambert must be looking on and thinking I joined at the wrong time. Expectation for the rest of the season is to see us play with a proper game plan and to have some heart and passion and score some goals. We got the players now its up to the manager. And if theres little improvement by the end of the season then sack him and bring Rowett in if he is still available.

• Like 1

Mid table is where I expect us to finish. As I said in another thread I don't think this squad is capable of promotion and if I'm honest I haven't been excited during this transfer window. The keeper looks suspect and the rest are just bang average championship players we have paid fortunes for. 

I think we will be in deep shit come the 2019/20 season. I think we have taken a massive gamble by spending an awful lot on players that are pretty ordinary to be honest. 

I think things will get very interesting at Villa park moving forwards but not in a good way.

• Like 2

The expectation from the fans is that the maximum potential of the squad will be realised by the manager in charge. Persistently over the last few seasons this hasn't been the case and we have underperformed hugely. It's up to the manager to fix this, it's nothing to do with the fans and manager's shouldn't be using "expectations" as an excuse. Just do your job.

• Like 2

Fine, but we've spent a lot of money - if you think about it, obscene amounts for a championship club, some of these players have been duds (for one reason or another), but watching matches like the one yesterday, you can really see that the approach is all wrong.  We are going into these games like we are a massive underdog who will be lucky to get a point, sitting back very deep, no high press, no pressure on the opposition when they have the ball, resorting to long ball tactics rather than passing it around, especially when we now have ball players in central midfield simply makes no sense at all. These are all tactical decisions which are tantamount to mismanagement on Bruce's behalf. 

The anger displayed by many fans is totally justified - things are just not being done properly, the approach to matches, especially away from home is all wrong. Bruce's record over the past 10 games is absolutely shocking, pretty much identical to the 10 games we had under RDM. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, KHV said:

Mid table is where I expect us to finish. As I said in another thread I don't think this squad is capable of promotion and if I'm honest I haven't been excited during this transfer window. The keeper looks suspect and the rest are just bang average championship players we have paid fortunes for. 

I think we will be in deep shit come the 2019/20 season. I think we have taken a massive gamble by spending an awful lot on players that are pretty ordinary to be honest. 

I think things will get very interesting at Villa park moving forwards but not in a good way.

Spot on IMO.

I fear a Lerner type scenario in a couple of years when Tony get's pissed off after spunking a load of money and we are still languishing in the Championship with a premier league wage bill and average players. 

23 minutes ago, KHV said:

I think if that's the case then we should seriously consider Bruce's position in the summer. Bruce would have had ample time and resources (in Jan) to make a substantial impact, mid table is not anywhere near good enough, if we dont make the playoffs then we should at least put up a challenge for it. 

• Like 1

We have paid top dollar for championship quality players. 

Next season there will be three Premier League sides coming down who will all have expectations of automatic promotion. They will have spent their TV deal money on Premier League players whilst our Captain is a West Brom cast off. 

I think next season is going to be a long slog as well. 

• Like 1

Â