Pre match chat

Demitri_C

7 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

After the abysmal performance mid week I'm not sure who deserves to keep their place. Given that we don't seem to have a competent 'keeper I'll probably stick with Johnstone to let him have a chance, we know Bunn is sh*t, but I just suspect Johnstone is poor, he can still prove me wrong.

Johnstone

Bree     Chester   Baker   Amavi

Adomah  Hourihane Landsbury Grealish

Kodjia     Hogan

... if I'm honest I'm not even sure what kind of forward Hogan is, but if he's the kind that's scores goals then fair enough. Hope that midfield isn't too lightweight though.

who is meant to be doing the defending in that midfield?.....because to me it looks like 4 attacking midfielders

and we are away from home.

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

This is the only glimmer of light I can see. He has played a few decent through balls in his 2 appearances so far. If we have a genuine goalscorer on our hands this could be the key. 

Angela Lansbury has only played for us once right? Unless I missed a game :huh:

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

who is meant to be doing the defending in that midfield?.....because to me it looks like 4 attacking midfielders

That is a good point... hadn't thought of that. Jedinak is injured isn't he? Tshi has been loaned out... Bacuna could come in I suppose? Or Bjarnasson, is he defensive? Against Brentford he was all over the place. 

Good point though, we do need someone to lend a bit of steel in there. 

Edited by alreadyexists

13 minutes ago, TRO said:

Both hourihane and Lansbury have decent tackling and intercepting stats. 

I think that could work. 

1 hour ago, dn1982 said:

Newcastle are regulars in this division so will have played most teams recently. We haven't so are the bigger scalp added to having to rebuild our team and manager changes it's been a struggle. We need to get a  settled side and get over us being the scalp. Get used to it expect it deal with it. We have to be at our best every game. 

Exactly this. As I said earlier, we are a big scalp and teams in this division know it and are going all out for them to say that they once beat the mighty Aston Villa.  They also know that we're in a state of flux and not at our best.  We must find some form (and fast).  

3 hours ago, sonic_bouma said:

I'd go three at the back and try to stop this awful rot away from home 

352 with wing backs

johnstone, baker, Chester, elphick, Bree, amavi (both wing backs) Gardner (holding) Lansbury, hourihane (both central) and then Kodjia and hogan up front.

i really really really don't wanna see hogan on his own with Kodjia out wide. Our striker always ends up isolated and our attacking play is so predictable.

Hogan isn't a target man just as Kodjia isn't. Get two up front as soon as possible to start forming a partnership 

I agree with this. I think 3-5-2 like the old Brian Little side is the way to go (but obviously limited in terms of centre half options). Amavi, Taylor and Bree would be very good wing backs.

If we need to go a bit more offensive (that would be a nice change I know!!!!) then the holding midfielder of Gardner (or Jedinak when fit in future games) could be replaced with Grealish/Bjarnson. The latter would be like the days when Sir Brian used to have Tommy Johnson behind a front two...

45 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Both hourihane and Lansbury have decent tackling and intercepting stats. 

I think that could work. 

ok....I thought they were renowned for the attacking capability.....but, i haven't seen them enough to know.:mellow:

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

ok....I thought they were renowned for the attacking capability.....but, i haven't seen them enough to know.:mellow:

They are. I think they're both proper cm players. Something we haven't seen for awhile. I don't see them as defensive stoppers but they've shown this season they could do that side of the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

That is a good point... hadn't thought of that. Jedinak is injured isn't he? Tshi has been loaned out... Bacuna could come in I suppose? Or Bjarnasson, is he defensive? Against Brentford he was all over the place. 

Good point though, we do need someone to lend a bit of steel in there. 

I think we need another DM in the squad.....Maybe in the summer or Elphick in a triangle?

I don't think Tshibola was a DM not a dedicated DM

Jed misses too many games for various reasons.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1