Pre match chat

Demitri_C

12 hours ago, Fowlersrs said:

Quite right lansbury did make a few chopping challenges but was playing the deep role so had no choice. 

Glad he's ok to go. Best midfielder in what was a dire display. He picked out Kodjia a few times. Do that with hogan and I can see goals 

This is the only glimmer of light I can see. He has played a few decent through balls in his 2 appearances so far. If we have a genuine goalscorer on our hands this could be the key. 

If we actually manage to score a few goals defence will improve.  Goals change games etc. 

Hogan could free up space for Kodjia as well. 

1 hour ago, trekka said:

The problem we seem to be having is that all teams in the Championship see us as a big scalp, one for their record books so to speak.  They up their game whilst we flounder and put out shocking performances.  Forest will be no different unless we change the stinking losing mentality we have, start to play as a collective team and show everyone why we're still a big club.  I'm worried. 

Sadly, i dont think teams necessarily see us as a big scalp anymore, and equally i dont believe that they up their games for us.

However, i feel that we're a lot more disliked in this division than in any season in recent times due to our transfer policy essentially being to take the better players from each team.

I can buy in to the idea that Brentford, Barnsley, Forest, Bristol City, Fulham etc will all up their games against us because we have weakened their team, rather than them seeing us as a chance at a giant killing. I mean invariably we're going to be in a lower league position than the teams we play anyway.

I'd go three at the back and try to stop this awful rot away from home 

352 with wing backs

johnstone, baker, Chester, elphick, Bree, amavi (both wing backs) Gardner (holding) Lansbury, hourihane (both central) and then Kodjia and hogan up front.

i really really really don't wanna see hogan on his own with Kodjia out wide. Our striker always ends up isolated and our attacking play is so predictable.

Hogan isn't a target man just as Kodjia isn't. Get two up front as soon as possible to start forming a partnership 

• Like 2

Ca

2 hours ago, trekka said:

The problem we seem to be having is that all teams in the Championship see us as a big scalp, one for their record books so to speak.  They up their game whilst we flounder and put out shocking performances.  Forest will be no different unless we change the stinking losing mentality we have, start to play as a collective team and show everyone why we're still a big club.  I'm worried. 

If that was the case Newcastle should be as bad as we were. They're blowing teams away ( at least before Christmas anyway ) We've absolutely zero control over the fact that Brentford closed us down like mad men, and worked ridiculously hard on and off the ball. Fair play to them.  I agree with you that we do flounder in games but that's for villa to roll up the sleeves and get on with it. Yes we are a scalp but we can't use that as an out

Hope we don't go 4-4-2 or the deep 4-5-1.

4-3-3/4-5-1 with higher starting positions and pressing would be fine.

the 3-4-3/3-5-2 would be exciting but don't think we've had time enough to test this out.

Regardless of formation I demand to see better pressing, higher positions, better passing and some actual structures to our play in possession.

1 hour ago, Johnnyp said:

Ca

If that was the case Newcastle should be as bad as we were. They're blowing teams away ( at least before Christmas anyway ) We've absolutely zero control over the fact that Brentford closed us down like mad men, and worked ridiculously hard on and off the ball. Fair play to them.  I agree with you that we do flounder in games but that's for villa to roll up the sleeves and get on with it. Yes we are a scalp but we can't use that as an out

Newcastle are regulars in this division so will have played most teams recently. We haven't so are the bigger scalp added to having to rebuild our team and manager changes it's been a struggle. We need to get a  settled side and get over us being the scalp. Get used to it expect it deal with it. We have to be at our best every game. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, sne said:

Hope we don't go 4-4-2 or the deep 4-5-1.

4-3-3/4-5-1 with higher starting positions and pressing would be fine.

the 3-4-3/3-5-2 would be exciting but don't think we've had time enough to test this out.

Regardless of formation I demand to see better pressing, higher positions, better passing and some actual structures to our play in possession.

Is that you Tony? 

• Like 1

After the abysmal performance mid week I'm not sure who deserves to keep their place. Given that we don't seem to have a competent 'keeper I'll probably stick with Johnstone to let him have a chance, we know Bunn is sh*t, but I just suspect Johnstone is poor, he can still prove me wrong.

Johnstone

Bree     Chester   Baker   Amavi

Adomah  Hourihane Landsbury Grealish

Kodjia     Hogan

... if I'm honest I'm not even sure what kind of forward Hogan is, but if he's the kind that's scores goals then fair enough. Hope that midfield isn't too lightweight though.

Edited by alreadyexists

On 2/1/2017 at 11:11, rjw63 said:

I really don't think it is.

It doesn't matter, as promotion is not happening this season and we will gain enough points at home for a mid-table finish.

But its important we build momentum.