Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

26 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

In the few games they played together it was an utter disaster, as a partnership and for the structure of the whole team. Whilst things do tend to have to be worked on, they and the rest of the team showed nothing to suggest 2 out and out strikers up top is a viable option.

I thought we were the better team iIn all 3 games v forest , ipswich and barnsley and mIssed a shed load of chances whilst gifting silly goals .

utter disaster? At forest both looked very good - it just needs patience and time to work together. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Keep the same XI as we have been, but now we have a good backup option for Kodjia. Bruce now has the option to do a straight swap, or play two good strikers up top in a time of need. 

Just don't force them both on the field if one has to be out of position Bruce. 

We create and miss chances galore - we have spent reportedly £12m on a finisher - don't sit him on the bench .

11 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I'm not sure Hogan really fits in our team at all. He doesn't start above Kodja, I don't think he suits playing as a lone striker, and we struggle to play 2 up front. 

We miss far too many chances so prepared to give Hogan a chance to rectify some of that. With the players we have we really shouldn't struggle with a four man midfield.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Whilst not that impressed with what I saw, I hope this one turns out to be a good signing...but again it just smacks of another " We have x amount of money to spend, who has scored goals recently, don't care how he plays or his style, it is isn't my money. Here is £15m. **** it."

Who are the other signings that give you that impression? Other than mccormack!! 

(Edited McCormack in cos I forgot him)

Edited by Mjvilla

34 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I'm not sure Hogan really fits in our team at all. He doesn't start above Kodja, I don't think he suits playing as a lone striker, and we struggle to play 2 up front. 

Hogan looked a class act at forest - kodija scored a class goal at forest - give them time together to get an understanding .

bruce has admitted tracking hogan for a long time and said now he has the right strikers  to play 442  - this is not cast in stone - teams adapt and change formations .

amavi out of position up front on the left at Wigan or bring in a natural goal scorer who puts chances in the net - no brainer  for me and I believe kodija will play fine with hogan in the side.

we have 2 quality strikers - use them to put away the chances our new  midfield will create - give these guys time !

Bruce has said he likes Kodija coming in from wide, so I imagine he will play left side with Hogan up top. If they forge an understanding, over a few games, not a few minutes, then they could really score a lot of goals. 

• Like 1

Just now, DaveAV1 said:

Bruce has said he likes Kodija coming in from wide, so I imagine he will play left side with Hogan up top. If they forge an understanding, over a few games, not a few minutes, then they could really score a lot of goals. 

Exactly , whether it's 442 or 433 there is room for both and I think both will score for fun with the likes of adomah, hourihane lansbury creating.

5 hours ago, Eastie said:

Why do I need proof to suggest an opinion ? 

Hogan and kodija will both play a huge part for us and I expect both to start regularly in the side - Bruce has had little choice but to change system due to the players unavailable  - why will it be a terrible idea throwing hogan in - we create and miss loads of chances - he is a finisher !

As wyness said hogan was a huge target and to suggest Bruce will throw him in in blind hope is a huge disservice to Bruce .

whether it's 442 or 433 I see both hogan and kodija being starters .

scott hogan wasn't to blame for the poor run - we had several new signings and jedinak missing - things are much better now .

Bruce said when he signed hogan that now he has the players up front to make a 442 work - he may give it another go or move kodija out wider - time will tell.

Well you don't have to have proof. But there's been nothing to suggest what you said. 

It will be a terrible idea throwing Hogan straight in IMO because we've won 4/5 with 4 clean sheets with the system we've been playing. Hogan is a finisher but when he's been playing he's barely touched the ball and Kodjia (our only real goal threat) has suffered. We also look much weaker in midfield. 

If Bruce throws him in Saturday then to me that it throwing him in blind and hoping. I'm happy for the partnership to be given a chance again but I'd gradually try it, starting with Hogan off the bench at some point. 

Bruce also said the squad was perfect for 3-5-2. 

I think Bruce does want to play 2 upfront but as of now, that's not worked and looked terrible. A switch has seen a massive improvement. I think it would be a mistake to immediately go back to the formation that wasn't working just because Hogan is now fit. 

It would be great if it did work, 2 forwards banging in goals is promotion type play. I'm just not convinced it will. Like i said, i can see why Hogan was signed but i think Bruce is now drifting away from that plan. 

The summer may see a few more changes and that implemented again. 

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

People keep saying this. 

No surprise to me that Kodjia looks awful and starts getting stick from the fans when not the main striker. As soon as he gets that role again he's scoring for fun and we are winning. 

Also what have people seen from Hogan to want him as a lone striker? His hold up play is much worse than Kodjia and he's even less of an aerial presence. I can't see him as a lone striker at all. 

I think if Hogan is in then it needs to be as a forward partnership. But then we miss out on an extra cm and that hasn't worked out for us much this year. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

People keep saying this. 

No surprise to me that Kodjia looks awful and starts getting stick from the fans when not the main striker. As soon as he gets that role again he's scoring for fun and we are winning. 

Also what have people seen from Hogan to want him as a lone striker? His hold up play is much worse than Kodjia and he's even less of an aerial presence. I can't see him as a lone striker at all. 

I think if Hogan is in then it needs to be as a forward partnership. But then we miss out on an extra cm and that hasn't worked out for us much this year. 

Kodija was far from awful out wide earlier in the season - he scored a few cutting in from wide and looked very decent to me .

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

Kodija was far from awful out wide earlier in the season - he scored a few cutting in from wide and looked very decent to me .

He had moments. 

Not nearly as dangerous as he has been as our main striker though. 

Do you think Hogan could be an effective lone striker? For me i don't see what he has that would make him good in that position. He doesn't seem good with his back to goal, that would waste his pace. He doesn't seem able to get involved, relying on service too much and has no real aerial strength. 

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He had moments. 

Not nearly as dangerous as he has been as our main striker though. 

Do you think Hogan could be an effective lone striker? For me i don't see what he has that would make him good in that position. He doesn't seem good with his back to goal, that would waste his pace. He doesn't seem able to get involved, relying on service too much and has no real aerial strength. 

I was hugely impressed with him at forest - less so in the other games , Bruce bought him to play 442 he said so I  think that's where he's best suited .

willbe interesting to see whether we do go 442 or 433 but either way both will be in the side I think .

Formations are primarily borne out of 2 factors

• The opposition you face
  • The players you have at your disposal

4-3-3 can morph to 4-1-4-1 and back.....we can play 4-2-3-1.......all these things will be tried and tested. Personally I think 4-4-2 has had its day and is too easy to play against, but hey, I'm not SB ......you have to have the players to get the most out of the system.

back to Hogan

Hogan for me , reminds me of Defoe......I think he will be dynamite, when he settles and we find a system to suit.

SB will blend the team again, but SH has to take his chances when he is playing and make him self impossible to drop.

The team will be morphing back and forth over the coming months with players finding their feet and us  finding  the optimum formation.

We are in our early stages of rectification.......We will have some in team in c 12/18 months 

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

I was hugely impressed with him at forest - less so in the other games , Bruce bought him to play 442 he said so I  think that's where he's best suited .

willbe interesting to see whether we do go 442 or 433 but either way both will be in the side I think .

I think he's best suited for 4-4-2. But the performances and results since Bruce said that makes me think he must be having a change of mind. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I think he's best suited for 4-4-2. But the performances and results since Bruce said that makes me think he must be having a change of mind. 

Possibly although he had little choice to go 433 as the rest of our strikers were injured - we need to be able to play both systems well though and yesterday was a perfect example .

Could  jedinak be given a defensive role alongside Chester long term do you feel ? 

26 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Possibly although he had little choice to go 433 as the rest of our strikers were injured - we need to be able to play both systems well though and yesterday was a perfect example .

Could  jedinak be given a defensive role alongside Chester long term do you feel ? 

I'm not sure. I do really like the Baker, Chester partnership. And a midfield 3 of Jedinak, hourihane and lansbury could potentially be fantastic over a season. 

At the end of the day we need options and we need a strong squad. Having these kind of discussions show that we will have both when players are fit. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

We don't need to play both systems. We should never go anywhere near 4-4-2 ever again. It's shit, we are shit when we try it.

Hogan stays out of the team, Kodjia stays through the middle. It's as simple as that.

Â