Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

21 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I see some fans are saying Bruce doesn't have a clue if he starts Gabby over Hogan. But then there are other fans saying that Gabby deserves to start based on preseason (including me).  So my question is, does anyone have a clue? 

Yes,Steve Bruce.

Edited by dounavilla
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think Hogan is a great striker.

His movement across the opposition back four is constant. This makes him a headache for opposing defenders who are never quite sure where he is.

What must be very frustrating for him is that his teammates cant seem to get him "in" on goal.......

We have not seen the best of this guy!

Edited by MarkLillis
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

His movement across the opposition back four is constant. This makes him a headache for opposing defenders who are never quite sure where he is.

What must be very frustrating for him is that his teammates cant seem to get him "in" on goal.......

I haven't seen a single competitive game where the opposition defence looked like they struggled to play against Hogan, which is one of the major issues I have with him. 

The blues game in particular stands out for the easy ride he gave them and the complete change just having someone working hard and competing like Gabby did when he came on. 

We haven't seen the best out of him and I become more and more concerned that we won't. 

3 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

All thats missing is few goals !  But hey he's a 'Great Striker' 

2 hours ago, hippo said:

All thats missing is few goals !  But hey he's a 'Great Striker' 

45 goals in 75 games says that he know where the net is!

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=52994

21 goals in 27 games for Brentford last year says that he can do it in the championship!

We are missing something here......not all strikers are like Kodjia and capable of existing on little or no service.

Its a big season for Scott he's got a lot to prove.

Edited by MarkLillis

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I haven't seen a single competitive game where the opposition defence looked like they struggled to play against Hogan, which is one of the major issues I have with him. 

The blues game in particular stands out for the easy ride he gave them and the complete change just having someone working hard and competing like Gabby did when he came on. 

We haven't seen the best out of him and I become more and more concerned that we won't. 

He was bright (and unfound) in most of his early games for us.  He then seemed to get worse as the season went on.  Hopefully he and his teammates have managed (or are managing) to adapt to each others' styles over pre-season.

9 minutes ago, bobzy said:

He was bright (and unfound) in most of his early games for us.  He then seemed to get worse as the season went on.  Hopefully he and his teammates have managed (or are managing) to adapt to each others' styles over pre-season.

Yeah - pass it to Hogan he's lethal ! 

16 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I'd agree (but I'd aslo agree with DCJ that whilst he was bright, I didn't see defences struggle)

But in those early games he seemed to be making good runs and never getting any service.

But towards the end of the season his runs got more and more weird. There was a game at VP, I can't remember who against, but Hogan was all over the place in terms of movement

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I'd agree (but I'd aslo agree with DCJ that whilst he was bright, I didn't see defences struggle)

But in those early games he seemed to be making good runs and never getting any service.

But towards the end of the season his runs got more and more weird. There was a game at VP, I can't remember who against, but Hogan was all over the place in terms of movement

Yeah, as I said he got worse as the season went on.  Was Forest his first game?  He looked like a potentially great signing in that game but wasn't found by his teammates at all.  Kodjia didn't even bother trying to look for him.  As the season went on, he seemed to become more frustrated and then just poor.

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Yeah, as I said he got worse as the season went on.  Was Forest his first game?  He looked like a potentially great signing in that game but wasn't found by his teammates at all.  Kodjia didn't even bother trying to look for him.  As the season went on, he seemed to become more frustrated and then just poor.

Yeah, agreed.

you could probably say the same thing about McCormack's time here.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BOF said:

A problem that's never widely acknowledged on here.  Strikers aren't scoring == strikers are bad mmmkay.  The reason Kodj IS scoring is because he's unorthodox.  Which is great.  But it shouldn't be relied upon, and if we're to go up and make great strides we'll need a working system; a more orthodox system that does provide the normal meat & veg that strikers feed upon.  When that happens, Hogan will come into his own.  His movement and the runs are already there.  We need the wavelengths to line up now.  I think Elmo and Conor will be a big part of that.  Jack too, when he's back.

I accept he isn't being provided with excellent service but for me that's not a reason to be completely ineffectual in a game. He doesn't do enough to make life difficult for defenders and he doesn't do enough to get involved within the game. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I accept he isn't being provided with excellent service but for me that's not a reason to be completely ineffectual in a game. He doesn't do enough to make life difficult for defenders and he doesn't do enough to get involved within the game.

I don't think he's completely ineffectual but them's opinions.  We'll see on Saturday whether either of our expectations have been met by improvements over the summer.  Fingers crossed that we both get what we want :D 

• Like 1

Kodja makes a lot of his goals.

Hogan relies on service. The service to him has been poor. We even saw in the pre season friendlies he makes excellent runs, and is an absolute nuisance to opposition defenders with his runs in behind and out wide.

I'm hoping that with a full pre season that our more "creative" players will eventually learn to pick out his runs.

Goal will come, but he needs to play. 

7 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Kodja makes a lot of his goals.

Hogan relies on service. The service to him has been poor. We even saw in the pre season friendlies he makes excellent runs, and is an absolute nuisance to opposition defenders with his runs in behind and out wide.

I'm hoping that with a full pre season that our more "creative" players will eventually learn to pick out his runs.

Goal will come, but he needs to play. 

Again, when has he been an absolute nuisance? When have you see the defence terrorised by Hogan's movement? 

I have a feeling Hogan's movement is fast becoming the new Kozak's natural goal scoring ability. 

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Again, when has he been an absolute nuisance? When have you see the defence terrorised by Hogan's movement? 

I have a feeling Hogan's movement is fast becoming the new Kozak's natural goal scoring ability. 

I think he is more a nuisance to the linesman who has to keep flagging him offside from those intelligent runs he makes.

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

I have no idea what your problem is with Scott Hogan, but I find it ever so slightly daft to be sarcastically writing a player off after, what, maybe 10 games for the club?  Especially a player who scored 21 goals in 32 games in the same league we're in immediately prior to joining us.

But hey, that's just me.

Ive no real problem - if he starts banging in the goals then great we are all happy. 

Ive only watched him in a villa shirt - and to me he seems to struggle with the very basics of controlling a ball, and getting the better of an opposition full back. Thats just what Ive seen.

Â