Neil Taylor

One For The Road

3 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Does that not set a dangerous precedent though ? I mean hartson and saunders the latter whom I've always thought is a few brain cells removed of any logic when ya hear him speak, defending taylor and saying it's out of character blah blah. If you go down that route and that becomes an acceptable defence in the media then every player who has a clean record can get a "freebie " in because he's " not that type of player ". Needs to be looked at in a singular instance.  He broke the lads leg with a reckless,  horrific tackle. 

What on earth do you want then? A massive ban? Bad tackles happen, leg breaks happen, these can often happen from poorly timed/ executed tackles, it is a contact sport after all. If Taylor went out to purposefully maim Coleman then there'd be a big problem, but he didn't, so people need to get the **** over it. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I never said any of that.

I said Taylor flew in at a dangerous pace. He did go for the ball but in that situation you are risking it big time if you don't get there first.

My point was imo Barkley and Dele Ali made worse tackles this season but they get forgotten about because they somehow didn't cause serious injury.

Yep far more memorable when someone's leg is hanging off. There are frequently 'worse' tackles done with much worse intentions than what Taylor did. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

What on earth do you want then? A massive ban? Bad tackles happen, leg breaks happen, these can often happen from poorly timed/ executed tackles, it is a contact sport after all. If Taylor went out to purposefully maim Coleman then there'd be a big problem, but he didn't, so people need to get the **** over it. 

Would you have the same response if a villa player was on the receiving end of a tackle like that with the same outcome ?  Would you be on here telling people to get over it, these things happen etc? Or would you be critical of the player who made the tackle ? 

Intent or not the tackle was inexcusable, he has potentially ended a players career with a very bad tackle. Those are facts. 

Commenting on intent is just conjecture and based on opinions not to be confused with actual facts. 

A 4-5 game ban wouldn't be unfair in my eyes considering the outcome of his actions. 

Just now, thabucks said:

Would you have the same response if a villa player was on the receiving end of a tackle like that with the same outcome ?  Would you be on here telling people to get over it, these things happen etc? Or would you be critical of the player who made the tackle ? 

Intent or not the tackle was inexcusable, he has potentially ended a players career with a very bad tackle. Those are facts. 

Commenting on intent is just conjecture and based on opinions not to be confused with actual facts. 

A 4-5 game ban wouldn't be unfair in my eyes considering the outcome of his actions. 

Intent has a lot to do with assessing how bad a challenge is. Clearly Taylor didn't go in with bad intentions as far as I'm concerned. If it happened to a Villa player I'd be very upset for the player but I wouldn't be kicking up a fuss about how bad the challenge was if there were no intention to hurt the player, rather just to win the ball. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, thabucks said:

There was one the other week....Sasso the Sheff Weds player.

That tackle could easily have caused a serious injury as it was very similar to last night. He got sent off and his ban and that to me is the end of it.

I don't really see the point in witchunting players when the vast majority are just ill timed. Injuries are part and parcel of Football I'm afraid.

Ramires at VP a few season back was another poor one.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Just looked it up and seems Uefa only give out 1 match bans for straight reds....would be surprised if that wasn't increased tbh.

Dele Alli had his Champions League ban extended to 3 games so I suspect it's the same for this.  Only Taylor will know if he meant to injure Coleman, I suspect not but there's little excuse for going into a challenge like that.  There's a reason they outlawed dangerous tackles like that and it makes me cringe when people try to excuse bad tackles even when they don't connect.

• Like 1

Fully committed jumping into the challenge, leg totally extended and straight, above the ground, with the studs towards the leg.

Seamus-Coleman.jpg

Horror tackle, as bad as you'll see this season.

Don't care if he's not "that kind of player", he is now.

Really hope it's a clean break and that Coleman can get back playing.

Edit: There is a better picture taken from behind on Getty Images but I can't embed it here. 

Edited by sne
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Not a clever challenge at all, the pace Taylor flies at Coleman is terrible.

I do think sometimes though once contact happens it's a lottery what happens.

Plenty of times I've seen horrendous tackles and the opponent gets up with barely a scratch.

One that comes to mind this season was Ross Barkley on Henderson in December. That was one of the worst tackles I've seen all season.

Dele Ali also did a terrible one in the Europe game a few weeks back.

ross.jpg?quality=80&strip=all

I agree with this.  There are far worse tackles that avoid scrutiny simply because of the lack of inertia, or simple luck of the other player.

Colemans injury resulted in such a bad outcome because of the effort he was putting in the swing of his own leg. (Similar in a way to Buust and Nilis) 

Im not saying for a second Taylors challenge was not poorly executed and reckless, but it wasnt as bad as some folks are making out.

A simple accident!

Edited by Nigel
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Nigel said:

I agree with this.  There are far worse tackles that avoid scrutiny simply because of the lack of inertia, or simple luck of the other player.

Colemans injury resulted in such a bad outcome because of the effort he was putting in the swing of his own leg. (Similar in a way to Buust and Nilis) 

Im not saying for a second Taylors challenge was not poorly executed, but it wasnt as bad as some folks are making out.

A simple accident!

Dear oh dear lads. I wear the claret and blue tinted glasses as often and as much as the next fella but ffs its a horror tackle,watching it in real time doesn't do it justice. If Taylor was on the receiving end ............exactly! 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Dear oh dear lads. I wear the claret and blue tinted glasses as often and as much as the next fella but ffs its a horror tackle,watching it in real time doesn't do it justice. If Taylor was on the receiving end ............exactly! 

Im not saying it wasnt a horror tackle, rather obviously is.

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Intent has a lot to do with assessing how bad a challenge is. Clearly Taylor didn't go in with bad intentions as far as I'm concerned. If it happened to a Villa player I'd be very upset for the player but I wouldn't be kicking up a fuss about how bad the challenge was if there were no intention to hurt the player, rather just to win the ball. 

The ball was on the deck. Taylor's tackle was way, way above that. I don't know what his intention was, but to win the ball... I'm not sure. He was so far away from it. I've played, albeit at a very poor level, and I can confirm that even at that speed if I go for the ball I'll either get it or catch the man because I'm late... certainly not go so far over the top of it like that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

The ball was on the deck. Taylor's tackle was way, way above that. I don't know what his intention was, but to win the ball... I'm not sure. He was so far away from it. I've played, albeit at a very poor level, and I can confirm that even at that speed if I go for the ball I'll either get it or catch the man because I'm late... certainly not go so far over the top of it like that.

Yes that was my concern about intent. He raised his foot as he slid in and as such he was nowhere near the ball. it was wreckless at best but intent we'll never know what was in his head at the time

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Just because it was over the ball it doesn't mean there was bad intent, could easily be down to very poor timing and judging of the space between him and Coleman. No dispute from me that it was a very poor tackle but there's a predictable overreaction going on (not necessarily on here but on 'social' media). 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Just because it was over the ball it doesn't mean there was bad intent, could easily be down to very poor timing and judging of the space between him and Coleman. No dispute from me that it was a very poor tackle but there's a predictable overreaction going on (not necessarily on here but on 'social' media). 

I didn't say there was bad intent. I said I'm unsure of his intent and I don't think anybody really knows what his intent was apart from him. The reaction of being upset could come from an instant regret to his intent. I don't know, it's all speculation. 

The only thing that really matters is colemans wellbeing.

lets hope is op today is a success and he can get back playing. Age is on his side so everything crossed for him.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Let's not sugar coat it.

It's a shocking tackle.

Yeah I agree, 3 match ban from international level, returns to villa as normal with Bruce hopefully putting an arm round him getting his head right and making sure he doesn't do something similar again

all the best to Coleman with his recovery

thats it...move on...

or we can be like stoke fans and boo Colemans every touch next time we play them I suppose 

Edited by villa4europe

Very bad tackle, and I hope Coleman recovers as well and soon as possible.

However, as a Villa fan, my concern is Taylor's mental state. He plays rough... if this makes him change his game... Villa will pay the price.

Hearing that he was devastated, as "good" as that may sound from a human perspective.... I'm worried.

Edited by AVTuco
  • Like 2

Â