Players that you think are Good/Excellent

FrenchVillaLova

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

somebody in Barcelona is probably getting sacked when they are lining out Mascherano or Sergio Roberto at right back

What went on there? Didn't he want to leave. he certainly hasn't been replaced. 

22 minutes ago, PaulC said:

What went on there? Didn't he want to leave. he certainly hasn't been replaced. 

I think he wanted to leave, plus Juve look after their older players financially and physically. They are very generous, makes a mockery of all the times Wenger lost a player because he would only offer over 30s one year deals.

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Baresi and Maldini. Maybe Nesta?

The AC Milan defence under Sacchi - Rossi ; Tassotti, Barsei, Costacurta, Maldini - what a unit. 

Italians certainly can do defending. 

All great names, and for me he stands right up there with them.

• Like 1

Juve are quite brilliant at signing players on a free (wages not included of course)

Cannavaro, Luca Toni, Coman, Pogba, Khedira, (Neto), Llorente, Pirlo, Dani Alves...

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Chiellini has been very solid for a long time now - He'll go down as a really good defender.

Bonnuci has come to the fore in recent seasons, but for me, Chiellini has been better over a longer period.  A few seasons ago Jube fans were calling for Bonnuci to go!

And @Genie & @Xela, that's the reason I follow/support Milan - Seedorf, Nesta, Maldini, Costacurta, Beckham, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Pirlo, Gattuso etc etc - all in their mid 30s in a time when players got to 30 and were dropped from the teams in the PL/La Liga.

You just can't beat class very often. 

Reason I'll be absolutely gutted when Buffon and Totti stop - the last of the generation of players that really were superstars when I was 12/13 (the last bit of that magical childrens age).

You are not wrong. 2006 world cup all star team. It really is the end.

Italy Gianluigi Buffon
Germany Jens Lehmann
Portugal Ricardo

Argentina Roberto Ayala
England John Terry
France Lilian Thuram
Germany Philipp Lahm
Italy Fabio Cannavaro
Italy Gianluca Zambrotta
Portugal Ricardo Carvalho

Brazil Zé Roberto
France Patrick Vieira
France Zinedine Zidane
Germany Michael Ballack
Italy Andrea Pirlo
Italy Gennaro Gattuso
Portugal Luís Figo
Portugal Maniche

Argentina Hernán Crespo
France Thierry Henry
Germany Miroslav Klose
Italy Luca Toni
Italy Francesco Totti

• Like 1

On 09/05/2017 at 22:56, NurembergVillan said:

We need to start having the conversation about whether there's ever been a better defender than Giorgio Chiellini too.  Except for God, obv.

Ahem!...(your profile pic)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

For me Baresi is the greatest ever Italian centre half. 

He was class.

But for me, Nesta is the best CB.  Nothing phased him.  Fast, strong, tall, read the game well, led great teams.

But for a couple of nasty injuries, he'd have been even better.

• Like 1

Â