Players that you think are Good/Excellent

FrenchVillaLova

On 02/04/2017 at 12:50, StewieGriffin said:

Obviously not a top level PL player, but Lasse Vibe at Brentford seems a very good player. Their fans seemed less concerned about losing Hogan because they still had Vibe

Agreed - very good player at this level.  His movement is absolutely superb and caused us no end of problems.

On 02/04/2017 at 12:50, StewieGriffin said:

Obviously not a top level PL player, but Lasse Vibe at Brentford seems a very good player. Their fans seemed less concerned about losing Hogan because they still had Vibe

That was really not the case. Brentford fans knew exactly what they were losing and despite having had Vibe at the club for 18 months, most doubted he would be an effective replacement. He is hard-working but hugely lacks consistency. His first-touch is rotten and he runs down blind alleys a lot. He's bagged a decent haul so far this year but when you see Brentford regularly you realise it's down to the supply. Jota in particular has been very beneficial to Vibe since he returned from Eibar.

I'm not saying he's a bad player, far from it but most* Brentford fans are still not sold on him and would point to him as an obvious choice for replacement in the summer.

*Most = the people I sit with in the New Road.

Edited by choffer
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, choffer said:

That was really not the case. Brentford fans knew exactly what they were losing and despite having had Vibe at the club for 18 months, most doubted he would be an effective replacement. He is hard-working but hugely lacks consistency. His first-touch is rotten and he runs down blind alleys a lot. He's bagged a decent haul so far this year but when you see Brentford regularly you realise it's down to the supply. Jota in particular has been very beneficial to Vibe since he returned from Eibar.

I'm not saying he's a bad player, far from it but most* Brentford fans are still not sold on him and would point to him as an obvious choice for replacement in the summer.

*Most = the people I sit with in the New Road.

Jota was sensational against us, and seems to have played well since (based on highlights). What is the general view on him at Brentford? He was a good player for Spain underage, but never really broke through at Eibar.

Couple of years back Brentford had him and Jon Toral on loan (of Arsenal and was at SHA a while back) and both were excellent.

I think Brentford signed Jota permanently but he then had some family issues so had to go back to Spain for a bit.

At championship level he's a class act though and fits nicely into how Dean Smith wants to play.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Jota was sensational against us, and seems to have played well since (based on highlights). What is the general view on him at Brentford? He was a good player for Spain underage, but never really broke through at Eibar.

"King" Jota? Absolutely loved, worshipped and adored. He is an excellent player and I think he'd have been snapped up by a Premier League club if he'd not been forced back to Spain with family issues (as Chris outlined above). He is a "luxury" player in terms of skill set but he works his nuts off too. His performance against us was not out of the ordinary and although he has a tendency to drift in and out of games I think he is a class act. 

The fact that he scored the winner in the last minute against local rivals Fulham hasn't hurt his rep either ;)

Personally I don't think he'd thrive in the Premier League but then I said the same about Gray when he went to Burnley and Hogan when he came to us so what do I know?

• Like 1

Have to say I've always liked Quagliarella. Scored the winner for Samp tonight and have a look at his youtube as he's scored some unbelievable goals in his Palermo and Udinese days.

Good to see him back as he had some horrible stuff happen to him off the pitch recently, think he had a stalker who got sent to prison a few weeks back.

19 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Have to say I've always liked Quagliarella. Scored the winner for Samp tonight and have a look at his youtube as he's scored some unbelievable goals in his Palermo and Udinese days.

Good to see him back as he had some horrible stuff happen to him off the pitch recently, think he had a stalker who got sent to prison a few weeks back.

It was when he was at Napoli. some police officer had blackmailed him and he was forced to leave his boyhood club. very sad

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Good player but for me he's always been a scorer of great goals rather than a great goalscorer. His former strike partner at Udinese, Toto di Natale however :wub:

• Like 3

13 hours ago, siminjo said:

Massimo loungo, i really fear him tomorrow. Hope we get him in the summer.

How has he gone this season? All the talk back home this season has been Mooy, Jedinak & Irvine. Only heard about Mass a couple of weeks ago because he scored his first goal in 60 odd appearances.

Not *that* great a player I guess, but it didn't seem worth starting a new thread and it is an incredible achievement from a few weeks back:

Kazuyoshi Miura scores at 50 to beat Sir Stanley Matthews’ record

Image result for kazuyoshi miura

The Japanese striker, Kazuyoshi Miura, has become the oldest professional footballer to score a competitive goal, beating Sir Stanley Matthews’ 52-year-long record.

Miura, nicknamed “Kazu”, turned 50 last month and scored the only goal of the game as Yokohama FC recorded a 1-0 win over Thespa Kusatsu in J-League 2.

The former England international Matthews held the record for the oldest professional goalscorer at the age of 50 years and five days in 1965. Miura set the new record aged 50 and 14 days old on Sunday.

“I’m glad to contribute to a win,” Miura said. “I’m always looking to score but had a good feeling about today’s game.”

Miura took control of a deflected ball and fired an angled shot past the outstretched arms of goalkeeper Keiki Shimizu.

Matthews set the previous record when he played for Stoke City against Fulham in 1965.

The former Japan international, now in his 32nd season, Miura made his professional debut in 1986 with the Brazilian side Santos before spells in his homeland with Tokyo Verdy and Vissel Kobe. Miura, who joined Yokohama in 2005, has also played for Dinamo Zagreb, Genoa and Sydney FC. He relaunched his career in the Japanese league in the late 1990s after an unsuccessful trial with Bournemouth.

Despite scoring 55 goals in 89 appearances for his country, Miura is still remembered as one of the best Japanese players never to appear at a World Cup.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/mar/12/kazuyoshi-miura-oldest-professional-scorer-beats-stanley-matthews-record

• Like 1

Â