Players that you think are Good/Excellent

FrenchVillaLova

Argentina just seem to have a problem calling up exciting new players, Leandro Paredes is another who's played well for Roma this year but never gets a sniff as they prefer to keep playing Biglia.

In fairness to Messi he's also singlehandly keep them in contention to make the world cup, think they've won 6/7 games he's played and 1 out of the other 7 he's missed.

Did they rescind his ban or is he still out until Ecuador away?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

With Messi clearly declining and hitting 30 soon they should consider passing the torch over to Dybala at some point in the not too distant future. Let's be honest, Messi has never really delivered at an International tournament, which is why he will never be as good as Maradona in my eyes. It would also enable a quality striker in Icardi get in the side. His current exclusion is utterly ridiculous and shows you want an unprofessional word removed Messi is. 

Argentina would literally not qualify for the World Cup if they passed the torch. Dybala is a great talent but he's no Messi, and the Argentine fans aren't exactly forgiving. Without coming across as a Messi fanboy (because I'm not), I don't buy into the argument that he hasn't done it on the international stage either. He was fantastic in WC 2006 (when played) and WC 2010 (despite not scoring in Maradona's woefully set-up side). Player of the tournament in 2014. Granted, Robben or James arguably deserved it, but Messi was incredible until the semis when he was totally out of gas. Also brought them to finals in both most recent Copa Americas with brilliant displays, only for Higuain to continuously miss sitters. As Chris mentioned above, the likes of Aguero/Higuain/Tevez's struggles for Argentina puts Messi's worth into perspective.

• Like 1

Messi was good in the group stages in 2014 but I can't remember him offering much in the KO rounds when Argentina just reverted to scoring early and defending.

Best player by a mile at last world cup for them was Mascherano (remember that last ditch challenge on Robben). Not as marketable though to give him player of the tournament ahead of Messi though.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Messi was good in the group stages in 2014 but I can't remember him offering much in the KO rounds when Argentina just reverted to scoring early and defending.

Best player by a mile at last world cup for them was Mascherano (remember that last ditch challenge on Robben). Not as marketable though to give him player of the tournament ahead of Messi though.

He was great against Switzerland iirc, beating a few men to lay the winner on for Di Maria in injury time. Remember him playing some unbelievable passes from deep vs Belgium too. Mascherano was excellent yeah, and literally suffered a "torn anus" after making that challenge on Robben :D

Yeah, no way should Messi have been the player of the tournament in the last World Cup. Even he looked embarrassed by it.

Pure marketing reasons won him that. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I'd have given it to Robben. I thought he carried Holland all the way to the semi's

He looked really good the other night against Madrid, some fantastic running with the ball. Quite a rarity these days.

4 hours ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Argentina would literally not qualify for the World Cup if they passed the torch. Dybala is a great talent but he's no Messi, and the Argentine fans aren't exactly forgiving. Without coming across as a Messi fanboy (because I'm not), I don't buy into the argument that he hasn't done it on the international stage either. He was fantastic in WC 2006 (when played) and WC 2010 (despite not scoring in Maradona's woefully set-up side). Player of the tournament in 2014. Granted, Robben or James arguably deserved it, but Messi was incredible until the semis when he was totally out of gas. Also brought them to finals in both most recent Copa Americas with brilliant displays, only for Higuain to continuously miss sitters. As Chris mentioned above, the likes of Aguero/Higuain/Tevez's struggles for Argentina puts Messi's worth into perspective.

Did virtually nothing in the knockout stages, no chance. Totally wrong to say he was fantastic in 2006 and 2010 as well. He was decent in both tournaments, that's it.  

It's simply the case that they will have to blood his replacement in the not too distant future, that's all. Not saying for the next world cup but it has to be on the horizon. He's declining and 30 this year, they have to look to the future at some point. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

39 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Did virtually nothing in the knockout stages, no chance. Totally wrong to say he was fantastic in 2006 and 2010 as well. He was decent in both tournaments, that's it.  

It's simply the case that they will have to blood his replacement in the not too distant future, that's all. Not saying for the next world cup but it has to be on the horizon. He's declining and 30 this year, they have to look to the future at some point. 

We'll have to agree to disagree regarding 2006 and 2010. I would also argue that he's not declining. The amount of times he has single-handedly rescued Barca in poor team performances this season (Sevilla/Sociedad/Athletic/Atletico, etc) has been staggering. He has 43 goals in 43 games already this season, 11 in 8 in the Champions League. I'm totally for bringing in Dybala and the new blood, but I wouldn't be in as much of a rush to remove the guy Argentina look absolutely clueless without.

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

don't know if he is declining 43 goals this season already.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Came here to post just this, one hell of a player, grossly mis-managed by Zidane.

He is a good player in fairness though I am not sure he is a Real Madrid calibre player same as James

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

He is a good player in fairness though I am not sure he is a Real Madrid calibre player same as James

I think he's really good, just needs to be a side where he'll start week in week out.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Â