Players that you think are Good/Excellent

FrenchVillaLova

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Been very impressed with Marcos Alonso, didn't think he was that great at Bolton, seemed shite on loan at Sunderland, but been fantastic this season, great left foot and a terrific athlete. 

Yeah he has been excellent this season 

watching the gazza documentary on netflix, i think in todays words of money and superstardom that bloke would be proper ****

not sure who you compare him to and judge him by, he's got 5 years on rivaldo, figo, zidane, the laudrup brothers were slightly different players, compare him to hagi and brolin etc

David Beckham, some rubbish spoke about him over the years about what he couldn't do but if you watch a youtube video of Cole, Yorke, RVN etc etc best goals you will see just how many were put on a plate by Beckham. From dead balls, and in free play, nobody could place a ball in the box with some accuracy, pace and purpose like Beckham could...and that for me made him world class.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

watching the gazza documentary on netflix, i think in todays words of money and superstardom that bloke would be proper ****

not sure who you compare him to and judge him by, he's got 5 years on rivaldo, figo, zidane, the laudrup brothers were slightly different players, compare him to hagi and brolin etc

Hagi was a lot better IMO but get your point. You could potentially add players like (aside from Hagi), Enzo Schifo, Andy Moller, Prosinecki to that list?

• Like 1

obvious shout out for him to join utd is obvious, in terms of manager, late 80s to early to mid 90s would you say fergie was considered better than venables?

Venables is another Arry manager. His reputation is sparkling but the facts dont back it up. He has 1 FA Cup and a La Liga. thats it really

as im sat watching this, name your "world class" english players over the last 20-30 years

id say lineker, gazza, scholes, terry dabbled, cole, rooney flirted with it at 2004

thats probably it

English players or performances for England?

If the former, there's definitely more - Lampard, Gerrard, Shearer, Beckham, G. Nev etc

Shearer to me is a strange one because he was very much an English player, you can't deny his record but he couldn't play in Spain or Italy etc

my personal "world class" definition as well is top 5 in the world for their position / role, shearer you'd be talking Ronaldo, shevchenko, batistuta, Raul etc

same with the others you mention, I think they flirted with it but never sustained it 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Shearer to me is a strange one because he was very much an English player, you can't deny his record but he couldn't play in Spain or Italy etc

my personal "world class" definition as well is top 5 in the world for their position / role, shearer you'd be talking Ronaldo, shevchenko, batistuta, Raul etc

same with the others you mention, I think they flirted with it but never sustained it 

Shearer would've scored a lot of goals in any major leagues in the 90s I reckon. People just think he scored Darren Bent tap ins and headers all the time but his all round game was underrated I think, a good crosser for a start when he drifted wide (Angel was like this aswell).

Pretty sure Bobby Robson nearly took him to Barca when he took charge. His record in international competitions for england suggest he'd have been fine in Italy or Spain.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Shearer would've scored a lot of goals in any major leagues in the 90s I reckon. People just think he scored Darren Bent tap ins and headers all the time but his all round game was underrated I think, a good crosser for a start when he drifted wide (Angel was like this aswell).

Pretty sure Bobby Robson nearly took him to Barca when he took charge. His record in international competitions for england suggest he'd have been fine in Italy or Spain.

I think he'd have made a mockery of the Spanish league, it really wasn't that good, by the mid 90s the dream team was finished, Real Madrid weren't very good until around 98 either. Fairly sure Atletico managed to pick up a title as well. 

Serie A would have been the big test, almost certainly the best league in the world throughout the 90s and extremely hard to score goals in, given how good it was defensively. Still think the Shearer at Blackburn would have been among the top scorers mind. 

Also you're 100% spot on in terms of his style, he'd work the channels well and scored a lot of goals from outside the box and from odd angles inside the box. Could play off the last man as well as poach a goal. Also exceptional in the air and wasn't exactly the tallest. Complete player.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think the only thing that would have stopped Shearer going far is the referees. His elbows were a big part of his game 

Where? In Serie A elbows are a big part of the game. Perhaps would have been an issue in La Liga as football in Spain has always been played by utter ponces. 

19 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Biggest surprise this year for me is Josh King. Apparently Tottenham want to buy him to use him next to Kane. What do you reckon they'll fork out? 20m?

I was going to post about him a while back. I remember watching him a few years back, he was a willing runner but couldn't trap a bag of cement or finish to save his life.Remarkable turnaround.

• Like 2

Â