Players that you think are Good/Excellent

FrenchVillaLova

16 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

They always do when they first break through, then the novelty wears off, they get that first big deal and they go to rat shit.  Oh sorry, that's just Villa youngsters.

Happens a lot to Everton youngsters too to be honest. Since Rooney, how many have come through Everton and actually go on to do something? They seem to have players come through regularly who look good and then they just disappear. 

18 hours ago, Zatman said:

for that you have to commend Spurs. Kane, Alli, Walker are getting good but not spectacular money which is keeping them grounded and improving

Possibly money-based, but I'm not entirely convinced it's just this.

Dele Alli (actually, like Tom Davies and Marcus Rashford in fairness to them) is a remarkably level-headed character in interviews.  You get the same feeling with Harry Kane, although he's more... simple (sorry Harry).  They've also been handily kept away from the mega-hype whilst developing.

Alli had time plying his trade at MK Dons before his move - he was grounded and experienced.  Harry Kane had 4 or 5 loan spells throughout the leagues, building up his knowledge of the game.  Again, grounded and experienced.

The other two have come out of nowhere in PL terms and are very young.  Davies, granted, is/has been captain at every single youth level including for England and seems a sound guy.  Rashford was developing nicely in Man Utd reserves but was thrust into the limelight by Van Gaal's desperation.  Of course, it went very well but he's now there and is expected to deliver.  They're worlds apart in development terms.

FWIW, I think Rashford will be a very good striker for years to come.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

from the bits I have seen, Rob Holding looks a talent

Yeah he's played well in some big games for Arsenal so far, looks much better than Chambers who looked totally out of his depth whenever he played for Arsenal.

England's got an interesting collection of CBs starting to emerge.

Michael Keane will probably get a move in the summer and I really like Maguire at Hull. Very interesting player imo who can play in either back 4 or 3-5-2 so I wonder if Chelsea might show interest. Mawson at Swansea has improved as the season has gone on. Only one I don't think that much of is Gibson who is just that head it kick it cb but don't think he has that high a level to improve.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Staying up or going down Sigurdsson will surely move back to a club aiming or already in European football?

was a lad on Villa Facebook last week saying we should sign him and Zaha as reasonable targets :lol:

15 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Yeah he's played well in some big games for Arsenal so far, looks much better than Chambers who looked totally out of his depth whenever he played for Arsenal.

England's got an interesting collection of CBs starting to emerge.

Michael Keane will probably get a move in the summer and I really like Maguire at Hull. Very interesting player imo who can play in either back 4 or 3-5-2 so I wonder if Chelsea might show interest. Mawson at Swansea has improved as the season has gone on. Only one I don't think that much of is Gibson who is just that head it kick it cb but don't think he has that high a level to improve.

I honestly think Maguire is the player that everyone thought John Stones would be.  He's a class act.

i really wanted sigurdsson back when he was at reading scoring for fun

he's the type of midfielder we've needed for about 10 years now, i still think a player of his ilk would have pushed MONs team over the line

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

I am sure we were linked with him as well under Lambert 

Would've been very young then. Did Lambert sign Lowton? I guess Maguire would've been with him at Sheff Utd so possibly scouted too?

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Maguire looks the real deal to me, unlike the hype job that is John Stones.

He's only a "hype job" because of the size of his transfer fee.

Harry Maguire is 2 years older than him. You'd think Stones is a 28 year old the way people bang on about him (same as Sterling). 

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Would've been very young then. Did Lambert sign Lowton? I guess Maguire would've been with him at Sheff Utd so possibly scouted too?

Don't worry, we'd have turned him shit! ;)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Zatman said:

Stones was a hype job last season when at Everton without a transfer fee

He was pretty class at Everton - certainly the best U21 prospect we had.  That's not a hype job; that's a good player.

Edit:  For clarification, "we" being England - not Everton :P

Edited by bobzy

6 hours ago, bobzy said:

He was pretty class at Everton - certainly the best U21 prospect we had.  That's not a hype job; that's a good player.

Edit:  For clarification, "we" being England - not Everton :P

last season he was abysmal at times though in his defence that was probably down to Martinez. Pepsi isnt much better cop defensively

25 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Dani Alves is still an utterly superb RB at nearly 34.

Been brilliant for Juventus last few months.

somebody in Barcelona is probably getting sacked when they are lining out Mascherano or Sergio Roberto at right back

• Like 1

Â