Viewing / Buying a house

Don_Simon

I am no expert.  But if you can fix now for 5 years you will look back at your decision in 5 years and think one of these 3 things. 

1. I saved an absolute fortune when the rates shot up. 

2. I paid about right. 

3. I overpaid a small amount when the rates went down.  

All of those outcomes would feel OK.  

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I am no expert.  But if you can fix now for 5 years you will look back at your decision in 5 years and think one of these 3 things. 

1. I saved an absolute fortune when the rates shot up. 

2. I paid about right. 

3. I overpaid a small amount when the rates went down.  

All of those outcomes would feel OK.  

Agree. There's a fourth one:

I knew that my mortgage wouldn't go up over the last five years, which meant I could make my spare money work more effectively for me, rather than keeping it in cash, "just in case"

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I think if it hits 6% nowdays mark alot of people would be losing or have to sell their homes.

Alot of people i know took mortgages out and didnt really plan for massive interest rates. If it goes near that figure i think they would be in massive trouble

I don't see mortgage rates going up to 6%. I think the standard variable mortgage rate at the moment is 3.75%. Certainly wouldn't be surprised to see that hit 5% over the next year though.

When I was paying 6% in the late 90's my old man thought that was really low as back in the 80's they were as high as 15%. 

Edited by markavfc40

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

Wish the bastard savings rates would go up like the mortgage rates. 

Literally 5 minutes after a rate rise the emails go out to say those an a variable rate will be paying more.

Hey bank, what about the savings rates?

hiding-meme.gif

• Like 1

1993 - i think my first mortgage was 5.44% fixed for 5 years with a 3% reduction for one year.  

I can't remember if it turned out to be a good deal.  But it fixed the rate at a level I could afford and the 1 year reduction let me kit out the flat.  

Edited by Mandy Lifeboats
Incorrect date.

9 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Thanks guy's very helpful! All sorted, fixed for 5 years at a slightly lower rate than I was looking at initially.

A bit of consistency at least going forward.

What did you end up fixing at?

sorry I didn’t see this earlier but I work in mortgages for a large building society. If anyone else wants to ask about mortgages I’ll do my best.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Loxstock92 said:

sorry I didn’t see this earlier but I work in mortgages for a large building society. If anyone else wants to ask about mortgages I’ll do my best.

What’s a good deal these days for a 5 year fix at about 60% LTV?

1 hour ago, Genie said:

What’s a good deal these days for a 5 year fix at about 60% LTV?

You’re going to be in and around 3% at the moment. Only going one way for the foreseeable. Think you might see 5% on higher LTV come middle of next year.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Loxstock92 said:

You’re going to be in and around 3% at the moment. Only going one way for the foreseeable. Think you might see 5% on higher LTV come middle of next year.

I still have 3 years at 1.39% but gonna start overpaying what I can get to get the balance down before it needs renewing.

16 minutes ago, Genie said:

I still have 3 years at 1.39% but gonna start overpaying what I can get to get the balance down before it needs renewing.

That’s what I’d do. A lot people have been paying early repayment charges to get out early over the last year which I can see is feasible in some circumstances. Pay off as much as you can whilst the rate is low.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Genie said:

Base rate could be 2.75% by Christmas, based on what our internal experts say. 

4 minutes ago, Loxstock92 said:

2 or 3 mpc meetings left before end of year. Will defo be close to that.

3 I think. 

0.5 increase in the next one and then 2x 0.25 (unless the situation changes rapidly!)

4 hours ago, Loxstock92 said:

Fixed at around 3%

Wish I had overpaid on my 1.58% for the last few years now, but you can't predict the future.

18 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Fixed at around 3%

Wish I had overpaid on my 1.58% for the last few years now, but you can't predict the future.

Pretty decent then considering options available today. They’re just changing at such a pace it’s hard to keep up. Lost count the amount of rotations they’ve done on the products. 

After being on a lifetime tracker for the last 6 years, I’ve fixed today for 5 years with HSBC (existing lender) at 3.49%. I really couldn’t be bothered to hunt around for the cheapest and no product fee made it easy. My tracker had recently gone up to 3.24% in total. Another £30 extra a month.

However, one more BOE increase of 0.25% and I’ll be paying what I’ve just fixed at for 5 years anyway, so peace of mind I suppose.

Just wish I’d looked at this last year or earlier this year. I’ve been really slow in reacting. 

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Just wish I’d looked at this last year or earlier this year. I’ve been really slow in reacting. 

Same. I was on a tracker and had the option to fix at about 1.65% earlier this year. I never did and by the time I got round to it the offer was 2.40% due to a couple of base rate rises!

Still, peace of mind for a bit! 

• Like 1

Â