Viewing / Buying a house

Don_Simon

Still not sold my house :( although did have a viewing today. It's a horrible process, couple last week absolutely loved it, described it to us and the agent as their dream house. They said they were on the market which turned out to be a lie, they then said they would be on the market in a few days as they'd instructed an agent. Super, super keen. They told the agent to call them on Friday just gone and now they aren't answering calls or returning messages / emails. Everyone is full of shit, I don't trust anyone anymore.

I recently moved, on the border of Aldridge/Four Oaks, perfect area for us, old grannies lived in the house so lots of work to do but structurally sound, an great price.

Now the negative bit. It took me around 6 months to find a house, looked at around 10 houses. Most were over priced shite,  2 I really wanted went to highest bids, which is the worst shit in the world, cause basically unless you are with the estate agent who is selling the house, you have next to no chance. I offered 5k over asking on one house, should have had an answer in 24 hours, 4 days later was told it was sold and not always about the highest offer???

Anyway, then you get the dream house your looking for and have to deal with knobber solicitors, who to me don't need the work, as they take forever to do, which in reality, could be done in less than a week with email, but in true 80's fashion its still all done by post an probably typewriter. Took us 3 months in the end, as the buyers solicitor ( even though they were desperate to move into our house) did not want them to go through with the purchase, due to our loft conversion paperwork and because I refused to pay indemnities (money for nothing) of £550 to cover loft, 35 year old extension and a block paved driveway with no drainage? In the end they threatened to drop their solicitor, an shock horror 24 hours later it was all signed for.

So good luck to one an all. :)

• Like 2

Re the above article... how many of this 'advance notices' of a rate rise have we had now? It must be in double figures now surely? Every time a vote is looming articles come out quoting one of those with a vote about a possible rate rise, then they vote to keep them the same, then come more articles threatening a looming future rise.

Now obviously a raise is coming at some point, probably soon and there will probably be a couple but surely people see these articles for what they are? They are PR pieces to investors, they aren't hints and tips for the domestic mortgage market. They are intended to keep the value of the pound up and keep investment in Britain, they are simply and economic carrot on a long line.

15 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I recently moved, on the border of Aldridge/Four Oaks, perfect area for us, old grannies lived in the house so lots of work to do but structurally sound, an great price.

There goes the area ;)

Nice spot... I assume you're by Fairlawns / Old Irish Harp from the description? :)

• Like 1

What are people's thoughts on online estate agents? I'm looking to put my house up for sale shortly (as in, in the next few weeks), and I'm a little unsure whether to bother with a high street Estage Agent and opt for a cheaper online one instead.

Aside from Yopa and Purple Bricks, it seems that there are lots and lots of online Estate Agents out there, and for a small price they will give you a 'hybrid' service, where you have a real life human being come out to you as well (house value/ photos etc).

7 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

@Dom_Wren , I love it. 

Cheers mukka! I never thought id have a house as nice as this so in a way its very humbling, I have a wide variety of stuff and its the perfect place to get away from the madness and watch a match or a movie!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rob182 said:

What are people's thoughts on online estate agents? I'm looking to put my house up for sale shortly (as in, in the next few weeks), and I'm a little unsure whether to bother with a high street Estage Agent and opt for a cheaper online one instead.

Aside from Yopa and Purple Bricks, it seems that there are lots and lots of online Estate Agents out there, and for a small price they will give you a 'hybrid' service, where you have a real life human being come out to you as well (house value/ photos etc).

I managed to get 2 agents down to pretty much the same cost as the online only people so it's worth trying that first.

On 7/11/2017 at 22:04, Kingman said:

As I've said over the last few pages the ingredients are all there:                                                                                                                                                
Rising Inflation, Potential rate rise, Unstable Global Market
Stagnating economy, Political unrest, Brexit Uncertainty  
Unrealistic house prices
Mass baby boom die off, Sub prime car loans...

Not there yet. Denial phase will be protracted in my opinion. Only higher interest rates will change that.

Banks are doing their bit to rob their customers though. 

Time to prioritise life, Sky TV/Netflix Subscriptions, Latest iphones, German Cars etc... 

Debt binge of £203 BILLION threatens to sink the UK economy as the IMF warns of a new financial crash looming

• The IMF has warned of a new financial disaster, ten years on from the last 
  • Household debt levels have surged back to 137pc over the past two years
  • Officials now fear UK lenders could lose £30bn in the next downturn 

A surge in household borrowing is paving the way for another financial crisis, according to the International Monetary Fund.

In a hard-hitting report published ahead of its annual meetings in Washington this week, the watchdog warned of ‘risks down the road’ from rising levels of debt.

And raising the prospect of a new financial disaster, ten years on from the last, the Fund said: ‘Higher household debt is associated with a greater probability of a banking crisis, especially when debt is already high.

‘A sudden economic shock – such as a decline in home prices – can trigger a spiral of credit defaults that shakes the foundations of the financial system.’

The intervention will set alarm bells ringing among central bankers and top politicians as they prepare for this week’s gathering at the IMF headquarters in Washington.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/news/article-4960572/Debt-binge-203bn-threatens-sink-UK-economy.html  
Edited by Kingman

On 04/10/2017 at 12:32, Rob182 said:

I haven't used them to sell, but I use Purple Bricks as a landlord to rent out my house. 

Never had an issue with them really. They were a bit slow when I was getting everything sorted initially, but still quicker than most other estate agents. 

Very cheap in comparison too. I pay them £54 a month for a fully serviced package.

Â