Viewing / Buying a house

Don_Simon

Feels like prices are dipping round my way, could be the time of the year I guess. I've been on the market about 3 months, a few have been dropped in that time and new listings are certainly coming on cheaper.

2 hours ago, Risso said:

Love the man cave photos. I’ve been after a globe drinks cabinet for ages so am well jel!

My sisters got me one for my 30th. I don't think they're that expensive (depending on the quality of the bar) so you should have a look for one.

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

My sisters got me one for my 30th. I don't think they're that expensive (depending on the quality of the bar) so you should have a look for one.

I bought my father in law one a few years back for his birthday, was very good quality for the price (which I can’t remeber).

23 hours ago, Genie said:

Feels like prices are dipping round my way, could be the time of the year I guess. I've been on the market about 3 months, a few have been dropped in that time and new listings are certainly coming on cheaper.

Nothing to worry about... :rolleyes:

As if Theresa May did not face enough challenges, the latest survey from The Bank of England (BoE) suggests the British consumer is about to face the biggest credit crunch since the great financial crisis.

After repeated warnings from BoE about the surging pace of lending to households, British lenders are planning the biggest cutback in consumer loans in nearly 10 years (BoE's quarterly net balance of lenders' expectations for the availability of unsecured lending over the next three months fell to -28.6 from -16.2.)

20171012_boe_0.jpg

Earlier this year the BoE warned lenders may be dicing with a "spiral of complacency",with car loans a particular area of worry, and now, as The New York Times reports, this latest survey signals the steepest contraction since the fourth quarter of 2008, when the economy was in the depths of its worst post-war recession.

Thursday's survey figures showed Britain's consumer economy is running out of steam, said Joanna Davies, economist at Fathom Consulting, the only forecaster in recent Reuters polls to predict a recession.

"We're quite concerned about the consumer squeeze," Davies said, citing falling wages in inflation adjusted terms and historically low household savings.

"If you add tightening credit conditions onto that, it doesn't bode well."

Pouring more cold water on Britain's recoveryt hopes, after seven years of persisting with a forecast of rebounding productivity, the Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR) has thrown in the towel.

“As the period of historically weak productivity growth lengthens, it seems less plausible to assume that potential and actual productivity growth will recover over the medium term to the extent assumed in our most recent forecasts,” the watchdog said.

“Over the past five years, growth in output per hour has averaged 0.2 per cent. This looks set to be a better guide to productivity growth in 2017 than our March forecast.”

20171013_boe1.jpg

That paints a gloomy picture for future economic growth, pay rises and the government’s finances.

The report notes that “some commentators have argued that advanced economies have entered an era of permanently subdued productivity growth for structural reasons”.

I thought buying a house would be my most expensive purchase. That was until the Mrs said she wanted shutters for the living room.  How bloody expensive are they? I got a quote from a local company for £1,400 then saw Hilarys had a 50% sale on. Thought bang on, I'm in here. They just came back with a quote for £1,300. I'm just gonna get a bed sheet and stick that on. Rip-off merchants. 

17 hours ago, omariqy said:

I thought buying a house would be my most expensive purchase. That was until the Mrs said she wanted shutters for the living room.  How bloody expensive are they? I got a quote from a local company for £1,400 then saw Hilarys had a 50% sale on. Thought bang on, I'm in here. They just came back with a quote for £1,300. I'm just gonna get a bed sheet and stick that on. Rip-off merchants. 

Seems to be the latest craze these shutter thingys...

I had Hillary's round the other day to quote for new blinds/curtains. The guy walked in, measured the windows and then pointed at his laptop and said "that's how much". He hadn't asked a single question about what I wanted, what style what colour, anything. The quote was £1800.

I merely said "I'll think about it" as I held the door open for him.

Worst salesman ever.

38 minutes ago, choffer said:

I had Hillary's round the other day to quote for new blinds/curtains. The guy walked in, measured the windows and then pointed at his laptop and said "that's how much". He hadn't asked a single question about what I wanted, what style what colour, anything. The quote was £1800.

I merely said "I'll think about it" as I held the door open for him.

Worst salesman ever.

Yeah I think my wife had a similar experience. Must be a pretty boring job though tbf. Selling blinds.

3 hours ago, omariqy said:

Yeah I think my wife had a similar experience. Must be a pretty boring job though tbf. Selling blinds.

I wonder how many times he's shouted "It's the blind man" from behind a closed door hoping a topless woman will open it up?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 18/10/2017 at 15:37, omariqy said:

Mate... shop around, you would be amazed the difference in the prices for those things. I looked into them a while ago, I found a company that were way way cheaper, I’ll see if I can find them for you.

Just wait until she wants some new sash windows!!! Hold onto to your wallet tight that day.

13 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Mate... shop around, you would be amazed the difference in the prices for those things. I looked into them a while ago, I found a company that were way way cheaper, I’ll see if I can find them for you.

Just wait until she wants some new sash windows!!! Hold onto to your wallet tight that day.

Thanks mate. Yes that would be great.

So rate rise of .25% looking highly likely today, finally. I can’t see them holding back any more with inflation in the rise even with the economy fairly static.

I’d imagine there are a lot of homer owners set for their first ever mortgage increase after today.

I applied for my new mortgage on Monday (agreed now in principle), valuation was done yesterday if rates go up do you think my offer ill get pulled or revised? I've applied for 3 year fix at 1.39%.

Edited by Genie

48 minutes ago, Genie said:

I applied for my new mortgage on Monday (agreed now in principle), valuation was done yesterday if rates go up do you think my offer ill get pulled or revised? I've applied for 3 year fix at 1.39%.

Not saying it will be revised or pulled, it will depend on the lender but in theory it could be yes.

Â