Viewing / Buying a house

Don_Simon

3 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Rates held again and growth forecasts cut.

Rate rises are coming but they will be a while yet and slow when they do start.

6-2 aswell so doubtful we will see interest rate rise anytime soon, 

Carney is desperate to keep IR's low as he knows that the housing bubble would burst with rising rates. The longer he leaves though the wrost things will ultimately be.

I suspect he is gambling on - or already knows - that the US will not raise further, If the US does continue to raise, as the Fed says is their current intention, then the UK will have to play catch--up eventually. Also Members of the MPC also voted in favour of extending a credit facility to British banks from £100bn to £115bn.

The so-called Term Funding Scheme (TFS) runs until February 2018 and has already lent £78bn to banks at close to the bank's base rate of 0.25%.

The TFS is backed by the Treasury.

Lend at 0.25%

Can i have some please.? Il invest it in blue chips and collect the dividends, What can go wrong?.. Theft from savers of course pushing up asset prices that other people have to buy out of earned income. Wonder how much they print when deflation hits and this is shown for the utter madness it really is?

2 hours ago, Kingman said:

6-2 aswell so doubtful we will see interest rate rise anytime soon, 

Carney is desperate to keep IR's low as he knows that the housing bubble would burst with rising rates. The longer he leaves though the wrost things will ultimately be.

I suspect he is gambling on - or already knows - that the US will not raise further, If the US does continue to raise, as the Fed says is their current intention, then the UK will have to play catch--up eventually. Also Members of the MPC also voted in favour of extending a credit facility to British banks from £100bn to £115bn.

The so-called Term Funding Scheme (TFS) runs until February 2018 and has already lent £78bn to banks at close to the bank's base rate of 0.25%.

The TFS is backed by the Treasury.

Lend at 0.25%

Can i have some please.? Il invest it in blue chips and collect the dividends, What can go wrong?.. Theft from savers of course pushing up asset prices that other people have to buy out of earned income. Wonder how much they print when deflation hits and this is shown for the utter madness it really is?

Not until late 17 early 18 would be my guess.

I don't think there is any intention or has been any real intention to increase IR in a very long time but they have to play the game of making people think there could be one. I'm not even convinced by the votes in favour, I think they are for show.

That bubble burst will have to wait a little longer.

Big weekend of painting coming up for me. There is 6 of us attempting to do as much as we can this weekend. Been told to buy Dulux Brilliant white or Ultra white as a base coat and then get Valspar paint mixed to the colour I want or even Johnstone's trade paint. Anyone have any experience of these?

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

Big weekend of painting coming up for me. There is 6 of us attempting to do as much as we can this weekend. Been told to buy Dulux Brilliant white or Ultra white as a base coat and then get Valspar paint mixed to the colour I want or even Johnstone's trade paint. Anyone have any experience of these?

Let me know how you get on with it, I've got a whole house to paint once the wallpaper is stripped.

Anyone know much about plastering? Is it it cheaper to get the walls skimmed, mostly intact but plaster is crumbling in patches...

Always go for the trade brands, not the shite they sell to mugs in DIY shops.

I've never used Valspar, but Johnstone's or Dulux Trade will give you much better coverage in a shorter time. It makes the retail shite look like you're painting with milk.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

10 year fixed rate mortgage @ 2.49% 

Could it be the best thing since sliced bread in a couple of years?..

• 10 Year Fixed Repayment Mortgage @ 2.49% (Link)
  • Year Fixed Repayment Mortgage @ 1.94% (Link)
  • Year Fixed Repayment Mortgage @ 1.59% (Link)

Maximum LTV 60% (so minimum deposit/equity would be 40%).

No upfront fees (booking or arrangement), "fee saver" versions
Unlimited lump sum repayment/fee-free extra repayments!

While there is an early redemption fee (3% of the original mortgage value initially, and then 2%), I guess you could just keep the mortgage "open" at £1 until the end of its term (and let FD terminate for free, as it would cost them more in admin fees)! 

A bit of a contradiction between having unlimited repayment and early redemption fee at the same time...

HSBC also has some good deals, fee-free and slightly lower rates. HOWEVER, no unlimited extra payments (only 10% per year), so that 0.1% cheaper HSBC rate could end up costing a lot more...

Basically, it looks like those FD fixed rate mortgages are without any drawbacks, and with great rate! Fixing a mortgage for 2.49% over 10 years is a great opportunity, as the base rates can't really go much lower.

Edited by Kingman

2 hours ago, Kingman said:

10 year fixed rate mortgage @ 2.49% 

Could it be the best thing since sliced bread in a couple of years?..

• 10 Year Fixed Repayment Mortgage @ 2.49% (Link)
  • Year Fixed Repayment Mortgage @ 1.94% (Link)
  • Year Fixed Repayment Mortgage @ 1.59% (Link)

Maximum LTV 60% (so minimum deposit/equity would be 40%).

No upfront fees (booking or arrangement), "fee saver" versions
Unlimited lump sum repayment/fee-free extra repayments!

While there is an early redemption fee (3% of the original mortgage value initially, and then 2%), I guess you could just keep the mortgage "open" at £1 until the end of its term (and let FD terminate for free, as it would cost them more in admin fees)! 

A bit of a contradiction between having unlimited repayment and early redemption fee at the same time...

HSBC also has some good deals, fee-free and slightly lower rates. HOWEVER, no unlimited extra payments (only 10% per year), so that 0.1% cheaper HSBC rate could end up costing a lot more...

Basically, it looks like those FD fixed rate mortgages are without any drawbacks, and with great rate! Fixing a mortgage for 2.49% over 10 years is a great opportunity, as the base rates can't really go much lower.

IIRC there is a 2% fee of the initial loan amount if you pay off or remortgage within the 10 years which can be very pricey.

Edit: just seen that is mentioned in the post, certainly could be a draw back for some.

Edited by Genie

2 hours ago, Genie said:

IIRC there is a 2% fee of the initial loan amount if you pay off or remortgage within the 10 years which can be very pricey.

Edit: just seen that is mentioned in the post, certainly could be a draw back for some.

"If you take a Fixed Rate Mortgage and you repay the whole of your mortgage during the Fixed Rate period an Early Repayment Charge will apply. This charge is calculated at 3% of the original mortgage amount during first year of the Fixed Rate period and 2% of the original mortgage amount if the mortgage is closed in any subsequent year during the Fixed Rate period. If you choose to repay your mortgage after the Fixed Rate period has ended, no Early Repayment Charge will apply."

Keep this in mind - you will still pay an ERC on the original mortgage amount if you close / move your mortgage at any point during the 10 year term, even if you overpay during that time. 

e.g. You could overpay until you have a mortgage balance of £1 but if you repay fully you will pay £3k on a £100k mortgage in year 1, or £2k on a £100k mortgage in years 2-10 ;)

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 1

Been looking at other areas aside from Brum to buy in. It's becoming less of a thing for me to be located on the commuter belt into Brum as I can work remotely and don't necessarily need to be in Brum HQ every day. Maybe 1-2 days a week.

One area I don't know a great deal about is the Black Country. What nice areas are over that way? I think Tettenhall and Penn are quite nice? Codsall as well? Fairly open to suggestions. Would like something quite 'villagey' if that makes sense. 

Edited by Xela

21 hours ago, Xela said:

Been looking at other areas aside from Brum to buy in. It's becoming less of a thing for me to be located on the commuter belt into Brum as I can work remotely and don't necessarily need to be in Brum HQ every day. Maybe 1-2 days a week.

One area I don't know a great deal about is the Black Country. What nice areas are over that way? I think Tettenhall and Penn are quite nice? Codsall as well? Fairly open to suggestions. Would like something quite 'villagey' if that makes sense. 

Ooh move to Codsall, that's fairly close to me. We could be bestest friends forever.

And ever.

Edit - some marginally useful info.

I know Tettenhall fairly well. I wouldn't describe it as a village. It's nice though. The Tettenhall road (A41) can be a nightmare in rush hour. 

Codsall is a fairly big village, I used to live and work in the Bilbrook/Codsall area (lived there for nearly 25 years). Codsall and Bilbrook both have their own train stations so there's decent links into Brum if that's of any importance. 

Depends just how "villagey" you're after.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 1

On 08/08/2017 at 12:57, wilko154 said:

Let me know how you get on with it, I've got a whole house to paint once the wallpaper is stripped.

Anyone know much about plastering? Is it it cheaper to get the walls skimmed, mostly intact but plaster is crumbling in patches...

100% recommend it. It made light work of painting. 2 coats more than enough and the colours were an exact match of the farrow and ball paint. We also used dulux ultra white for the ceilings. Expensive but you only need one coat. 

On 8/13/2017 at 14:07, Shropshire Lad said:

Ooh move to Codsall, that's fairly close to me. We could be bestest friends forever.

And ever.

Edit - some marginally useful info.

I know Tettenhall fairly well. I wouldn't describe it as a village. It's nice though. The Tettenhall road (A41) can be a nightmare in rush hour. 

Codsall is a fairly big village, I used to live and work in the Bilbrook/Codsall area (lived there for nearly 25 years). Codsall and Bilbrook both have their own train stations so there's decent links into Brum if that's of any importance. 

Depends just how "villagey" you're after.

Cheers for the info chief. 

Early days of looking. Looking for something semi rural. I don't want to live in the sticks but equally somewhere not massively built up. Sounds like I want to have my cake and eat it! 

Any of the little villages around that way would be ideal. 

37 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

@Xela - there's a few rooms above the shireland pub available for rent. 

Handy for the city. 

Not really handy for your diet though !

That'd finish me off!

Already eaten 2x sausage rolls,  a jumbo scotch egg, a raspberry cream turnover and a custard donut today at work! It was someones birthday by the way, that's not my normal lunch box ;)

• Haha 1

Â