Viewing / Buying a house

Don_Simon

Just now, Xela said:

Did you move fairly local to your old place?

Congrats on the move :)

Cheers mate. Yeah it’s only about 2 miles away. It’s a super rare new build estate that actually has space between the houses, good sized front lawns, open spaces etc. 

Just popping open a Coors light.

• Like 2

I’m hoping my move can be completed soon. Maybe in the next week or two. We’re at the enquiry stage, all enquiries sorted for the sale of my house, but still waiting for the Fixtures & Fittings form from the people I’m buying the house off. They got sent the enquiries at the start of February, finally replied to all but one last week :angry: Apparantly it’s a marital break up that has led to their house being sold, so I get the feeling that the guy is purposely dragging his heels just to be an arse.

I love the house we’ve got, it’s full of character and was designed by a local architect back in 1910-ish. I feel like we got really lucky with things falling into place. First time buyers offered us our asking price for our house on the same day that we were planning to put a bid in.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Despite my above post, I'm still not moved into the new house. :bang: 

It seems to have been one thing after the other lately. When the Fixtures & Fittings Forms were finally submitted by the people I'm buying off, my solicitors had 7... yes SEVEN.. enquiries on them! One of the enquiries was about the loft conversion, (advertised as a 'loft room'), to ask whether there were building regulations or planning permission when it was built. It turns out there wasn't either, and what's more annoying, is that instead of just getting around it with an Indemnity Policy, it now turns out that the Lender's valuation of the house was based on it being a 4-bed house, not a 3-bed, because the Estate Agents, for some reason, were under the impression that Building Regs were gained for the loft conversion. So now we've gone back a few steps because a new valuation needs to be done, including checking over comparables of similar houses in the area.

We had previously agreed a date of March 29th as the completion date, but that now seems to be out the window. My solicitors have told me "Realistically, April 6th", but I don't know whether this takes into account the two bank holidays coming up, so me and the wife are thinking it'll be the week after that.

Soon it'll be squeeky bum time, as my wife is due to give birth on May 15th. So when it gets to 1 month before the due date, she's going to really start stressing if we're not in the new house with the nursery all sorted.

• Sad 1

Just looked at house prices in the centre of Sutton. What on Earth has happened in the last couple of years? A nice but unexceptional three-bed semi detached can be anything upwards of £360,000!!! Crazy!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Just looked at house prices in the centre of Sutton. What on Earth has happened in the last couple of years? A nice but unexceptional three-bed semi detached can be anything upwards of £360,000!!! Crazy!

That's cheap compared to some of the houses where I live in Sutton

(Not a brag, I don't own where I live in Sutton, I rent which is much more affordable)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob182 said:

Soon it'll be squeeky bum time, as my wife is due to give birth on May 15th. So when it gets to 1 month before the due date, she's going to really start stressing if we're not in the new house with the nursery all sorted.

Don't stress too much about the nursery - you won't need it for a few months in any case.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Don't stress too much about the nursery - you won't need it for a few months in any case.

I'm not, believe me, but the wife is. It's a bit annoying that for the past 3 months I've been telling everyone that moving house isn't as stressful as everyone makes out (which I genuinely believe). It's just a case of answering questions when they're asked and filling in forms when they're sent. But then all this bumfluff has happened and people are giving it the usual "oh moving house is so stressful".

Ignoring the nursery which, as you say, won't be used for a while, my wife is just panicking that the baby could come early, and we could be in the position of having to move house with a newborn. I've said to her though, whether the baby is here or not, she won't be doing any actual 'moving' other than driving our 2 cats to the new house and then sitting in a room with them while me and others move all the stuff. She's just stressing though. Hormones 'n that.

5 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Schools. 

That's what drives prices up. There is a 3 bed semi by my folks for sale (a lot bigger than my folks 3 bed semi) and its £500k. Absolutely insane!

Edited by Xela

5 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I'm not talking Little Aston here, just some of the areas within a mile or so of the town centre. They definitely weren't anything like that price two years back. 

Just now, Xela said:

Schools. 

That's what drives prices up. There is a 3 bed semi by my folks fro sale (bigger a lot than my folks 3 bed semi) and its £500k. Absolutely insane!

I think that is definitely part of it. But the recent inflation is concerning - is it sustainable? 

6 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Became the owner of my first house last week. Happy days. 

Nice one!

Whereabouts?

14 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Halesowen, I’ve lived in the house for nearly 5 years now. My parents brought it back then. I’m lucky enough for it to be gifted to me now.

Which part of Halesowen? I live in Cradley Heath right now, and I’m basically moving from one side of Haden Hill Park to the Halesowen side of Haden Hill Park.

42 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Which part of Halesowen? I live in Cradley Heath right now, and I’m basically moving from one side of Haden Hill Park to the Halesowen side of Haden Hill Park.

It’s a good place to be... I’m not far from the Football club and Windsor 

18 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

It’s a good place to be... I’m not far from the Football club and Windsor 

I looked at a few houses up there. I think there were a few for sale in Carol Crescent. I'm only a few miles away from you then. My new house is basically in Haden Hill Park. 

• Like 1

On 26/03/2018 at 11:30, Rob182 said:

Despite my above post, I'm still not moved into the new house. :bang: 

It seems to have been one thing after the other lately. When the Fixtures & Fittings Forms were finally submitted by the people I'm buying off, my solicitors had 7... yes SEVEN.. enquiries on them! One of the enquiries was about the loft conversion, (advertised as a 'loft room'), to ask whether there were building regulations or planning permission when it was built. It turns out there wasn't either, and what's more annoying, is that instead of just getting around it with an Indemnity Policy, it now turns out that the Lender's valuation of the house was based on it being a 4-bed house, not a 3-bed, because the Estate Agents, for some reason, were under the impression that Building Regs were gained for the loft conversion. So now we've gone back a few steps because a new valuation needs to be done, including checking over comparables of similar houses in the area.

We had previously agreed a date of March 29th as the completion date, but that now seems to be out the window. My solicitors have told me "Realistically, April 6th", but I don't know whether this takes into account the two bank holidays coming up, so me and the wife are thinking it'll be the week after that.

Agreed a price myself end of October. Now end of March. Still waiting on solicitors to hear back from their 'enquiries'. What these enquiries are I have no idea, the information provided, the level of communication is just horrific.
Past caring at this point and if it all falls through I am not sure I will even give a shit.

Â