Viewing / Buying a house

Don_Simon

5 hours ago, Genie said:

Just made the call, guy matched it on the spot at £1200 plus VAT so all steam ahead :D

Just remember, when you think that he's a 'very nice guy' how easily he could drop his price by £700. He was taking the piss.

He might seem alright, but he's looking after himself, not you. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Just remember, when you think that he's a 'very nice guy' how easily he could drop his price by £700. He was taking the piss.

He is in sales. He's not going to go in with his best offer first. All part of the game. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Genie said:

We're about to chuck our house on the market, had 3 agents around last week to value it and talk fee's.

Agent 1: Came across as useless and wants 1% + VAT. Its going on about £290,000 so that's just under £3,500. No chance.

Agent 2: Very nice guy and seems to know his stuff. Said usually charges 1% + VAT but offered us £1900 + VAT.

Agent 3: Again, seemed very good came in at £1595 + VAT.

next day, Agent 2 comes back without any prodding from us... £1500 + VAT. We verbally give him the ok.

Yesterday Agent 3 asks us about his quote and we say we're going with Agent 2. He drops his price to £1200 +VAT...

I can't believe how they are fighting like this. I'd like to honour my 'word' to Agent 2 but its a save of £360 which can't be sniffed at when we're staring at all the costs of moving house. I've got to ring Agent 2 at 9 and tell him the change of plan...

Same in any trade/profession when things are quite, be it an Estate Agent or a Plasterer mate. If i was an estate agent i would be sending the CV out.

Last month the average number of homes on the books of estate agents fell to over 40% - the lowest number since the survey started in January 1978. 

With the way things are at the moment with asking prices and what what genuine folk can afford to buy with whats on offer then it will no doubt end up in a stale mate with nothing moving. 

Sooner or later something will have to give, be it seller or buyer. 

On a side note if you do manage a quick sale then you can buy your very own 6 bed on a 29-acre island for £300k (if you don't mind a bit of history) :D 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/house-prices/idyllic-scottish-island-sale-just-325k-has-chilling-past/ 

Todays inflation news hardly a surprise with Oil prices down 10%, pure and simple so If the BoE want to stop inflation they can raise IRs, strength the £ and drop oil prices. 

However I guess it will make no difference; if the inflation rate were 5% you will not get an increase in rates. In 2011 RPI went to well over 5% and rates were not increased; you have a similar situation now and the result will be the same.

The only way you will see rate rises is if there are serious second round effects to inflation (a wage /price spiral) - very unlikely or, and far more likely, a collapse in sterling.

If this happened I'm not sure rate rises would do very much and might be very short term, as they were in 1992 when we were forced out of the ERM. 

6 hours ago, Davkaus said:

"Nice" was the wrong word, I meant it in the sense of he came across as capable and knowledgable.

Had an offer accepted on my first house! It's a Victorian terrace so need to arrange a survey. Can anyone recommend me Birmingham-based surveyor please? Also, how much am I looking at for a thorough survey, between £500 & £1000 i imagine?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Milfner said:

Had an offer accepted on my first house! It's a Victorian terrace so need to arrange a survey. Can anyone recommend me Birmingham-based surveyor please? Also, how much am I looking at for a thorough survey, between £500 & £1000 i imagine?

http://www.rics.org/uk/ 

• Like 2

Got my place on the market, got a viewing first day, they told the agent they were sold then told us they had an offer but rejected as too low. They really liked it too.

3 quiet days since then.

59 minutes ago, Genie said:

Got my place on the market, got a viewing first day, they told the agent they were sold then told us they had an offer but rejected as too low. They really liked it too.

3 quiet days since then.

So many 'buyers' out there are completely wasting vendors time viewing houses they've no intention in buying. I've known people who just go look at houses out of curiosity.

I had a couple look around a place I was selling once, with a couple of mins of talking to them it was abundantly clear they weren't interested in the house so I kicked them out.

5 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

So many 'buyers' out there are completely wasting vendors time viewing houses they've no intention in buying. I've known people who just go look at houses out of curiosity.

I had a couple look around a place I was selling once, with a couple of mins of talking to them it was abundantly clear they weren't interested in the house so I kicked them out.

Absolutely.

Our family has moved 21 times in all (I think, always lose count), around 17 of them were house sales. Some of the shocking offers we got and time wasted was incredible.
Still....they all sell in the end....just about!

Edited by itdoesntmatterwhatthissay

I'm in the process of buying out a house I've inherited. No chain, the other interests just want to get their money. It's still rattled on for about 6 weeks to date. No wonder everyone else takes forever for the conveyancing to go through.

Just now, itdoesntmatterwhatthissay said:

Our family has moved 21 times in all (I think, always lose count), around 17 of them were house sales. Some of the shocking offers we got and time wasted was incredible.
Still....they all send in the end....just about!

I blame Beeney and Kirsty and Phil.

Some of the offers I've received have been insulting. I've given some agents some very clear feedback for one or two potential buyers and once refused to sell to someone who offered over asking in the end because of their idiotic first offer.

My worst/best moment came when we had some particularly rude people look at our house, they were vile. So before they looked upstairs I suggested they look at the garden, they took me up on the suggestion

I then told them the gate was open and to see themselves out and locked the door.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Yep, these cheeky bastards awkwardly told us (Friday night) they weren't in fact sold but would be rejecting the offer they had.

Next day agent calls and says the woman wants to come back with her Dad the following day for a second look.

I gave the agent some "coaching" let's say. 

A second viewing within 48 hours, on a Sunday and they are not even in a preceedable position. 

I said to the agent it's not a tourist attraction. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, itdoesntmatterwhatthissay said:

Absolutely.

My mom's put her house on the market previously and she is getting the same. Ludicrously low offers.

There's a family who live a few doors down from us and it always seems to be relatives of theirs. Come and look at the house, act very interested, then offer about £200k (it was on the market for over £300k)

It's not on the market anymore but they, or the family that live on her road on their behalf, still regularly come to make "chit chat" but end up asking if she still wants to sell. It annoys me, it's like they're trying to brute force her into selling.

They even asked shortly after my dad passed away. Came to offer their condolences but swiftly moved the conversation on to "Does this mean you'll be moving?"

words removed

Edited by Stevo985
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

My worst/best moment came when we had some particularly rude people look at our house, they were vile. So before they looked upstairs I suggested they look at the garden, they took me up on the suggestion

I then told them the gate was open and to see themselves out and locked the door.

I'm intrigued! What did they say/do that made you think that of them?

19 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'm intrigued! What did they say/do that made you think that of them?

I can't really remember it was almost 10 years ago. But they were rude from the moment we opened the door, ill mannered, making snide comments about us wanting to move to the area we are now and a bigger place, took a pop about teachers (the Mrs being one).

I wasn't in the mood for them.

• Like 2

On 25/07/2017 at 20:33, itdoesntmatterwhatthissay said:

Absolutely.

21 times?!!    over how long a period. 

so much cost in fees and stamp duty! 

Â