Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

Just now, Zatman said:

Would have him in over Luiz vs West Ham 

I've always been a bit of a Hourihane sceptic, but starting to come round to this. At 28 he's at his peak, and Luiz still has a fair way to go. Luiz will have a better career, but Hourihane might be the better option this season.

16 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I've always been a bit of a Hourihane sceptic, but starting to come round to this. At 28 he's at his peak, and Luiz still has a fair way to go. Luiz will have a better career, but Hourihane might be the better option this season.

Hourihane has achieved a relatively decent goal haul for his position every year going back some time, despite being in the third and fourth tiers, it shows he's got it.

He then went on to be a major player, in general and on the scoreboard, in both our championship seasons that saw us rise to prominence and contend promotion.

Despite going missing on numerous occasions at the top of the box and consequently we've conceded, he has been an absolute engine getting around the place.

In my opinion the energy and off ball movement compensate for his technical ability lacking for an attacking player, and that's evident in how frequently he scores and assists.

With him, McGinn and Grealish in midfield you know that when the chance to occupy attacking territory comes up, each have a unique way of making the most of opportunities.

Add to this the chemistry developed from our performances last season in gaining promotion and Conor does look a viable option to start.

I would be playing both Marvelous and Luiz ahead of Hourihane because they need to integrate at some stage and Hourihane whilst familiar won't cut it every week for me.

Better to have the mistakes made by the players that are our future than the players who are going to be a part of our past.

Could be wrong but I don't think Hourihane has enough technique to survive a full season as an effective contributor offensively and I'm not sold on his defense either.

58 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t mind if he play but I don’t think he will. I can see Luiz starting most games for us. He’s an important player that will get better each game.

Would hope so but can't risk him if he isnt offering anything currently. Mistake vs Bournemouth, should have conceded penalty vs Palace

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Would hope so but can't risk him if he isnt offering anything currently. Mistake vs Bournemouth, should have conceded penalty vs Palace

Bit harsh to say he isn’t currently offering anything. When we had that bad runs of games last season I remember Hourihane was anonymous in many of the games and the fans soon turned on him. 

If Luiz is to be replaced I don’t think Hourihane is the answer. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Bit harsh to say he isn’t currently offering anything. When we had that bad runs of games last season I remember Hourihane was anonymous in many of the games and the fans soon turned on him. 

If Luiz is to be replaced I don’t think Hourihane is the answer. 

Maybe harsh but I would have him as our weakest midfield contributor so far. He has talent but he needs to up his game

Yep, he took a while to settle which is to be expected but after 20 mins or so he looked ok, he wont be playing there in the next qualifier Id imagine. He got much needed minutes in which was good for him. Had a very good game in the middle in the previous game and should be given a chance tonight.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I believe in Luiz' quality. Would be disapointed to see Hourihane start ahead of him.

I feel like Hourihane has "proven" he can't play that position. And that was in the championship where the opposition are far worse.

Luiz hopefully long term answer, not sure he's the short term one.

Can see Hourihane starting actually. I want to see this leader the team are always talking about. Never seen a player talk so positively yet shrivel into themselves and hide on the pitch so consistently.

Hope whoever starts dominates that area in front of defence leading us to a 3-0 win.

• Like 1

On 16/09/2019 at 21:59, dudevillaisnice said:

Surprised he didn’t come on. Don’t think he is brilliant but he has a goal threat about him through set pieces. 

Hes a goal threat from anywhere really he can be invisible a pop up with a goal   

Â