Aston Villa History Thread

VILLAMARV

22 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I remember listening to the first leg on the radio and giving up before the end to trudge off to the pub. A mate of mine came in, a Bluenose, and said we’d got one back at the end to make it 3-1 and give us a chance. What a game the second leg was, the final wasn’t bad either. 

I was at Tranmere for that game. Thought we had blown it at 3 nil. When we scored that goal near the end my mate and I looked at each other and smiled. We knew Villa Park would be a cauldron for the second leg, and felt only John Aldridge in the Tranmere team wouldn’t be fazed by it. In the local pub after we could see that the Tranmere fans were gutted that they let that late goal in. The doubts were already beginning to simmer. Football eh 😊😊. Second leg was something else.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, MikeMcKenna said:

I don’t think so. It was seated on the top level and standing on the lower level. You can see the Witton Lane stand in this image for the Liverpool v Chelsea FA Cup semi-final in March 1965. It was made an all seater stand for the 66 World Cup.

4E4172F1-7745-445F-AC68-99EB44ECE0AB.jpeg

I seen another picture of the Argentina players expecting the pitch in 66 and it's the little Witton Lane stand. Google Villa Park, you may see it. 

• 2 weeks later...

How fantastic that you were there for the first League Cup final @MikeMcKenna and @briny_ear. I read a nice retrospective piece on the match – with a cracking photo of the old Witton Lane stand – and those comments by match-winner Peter McParland about Villa supporters (yourselves included, no doubt!)

“They are the greatest fans in football,” he said. “Even when we had not scored and were still trying to make up a 2-0 deficit they kept urging us on.”

I hope the club have some plans to make McParland a guest at the final, or at least recognise him in some way. A genuine Villa legend and a part of League Cup and Wembley folklore – not a bad CV! In my daydreams, he is invited to say a few words to the team (naturally, the Villa then go out and play like men possessed).

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-beat-rotherham-win-119952.amp

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Five Ken McNaughts said:

How fantastic that you were there for the first League Cup final @MikeMcKenna and @briny_ear. I read a nice retrospective piece on the match – with a cracking photo of the old Witton Lane stand – and those comments by match-winner Peter McParland about Villa supporters (yourselves included, no doubt!)

“They are the greatest fans in football,” he said. “Even when we had not scored and were still trying to make up a 2-0 deficit they kept urging us on.”

I hope the club have some plans to make McParland a guest at the final, or at least recognise him in some way. A genuine Villa legend and a part of League Cup and Wembley folklore – not a bad CV! In my daydreams, he is invited to say a few words to the team (naturally, the Villa then go out and play like men possessed).

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-beat-rotherham-win-119952.amp

And present Jack with the cup 😀

• Like 3

On 19/06/2018 at 14:03, terrytini said:

Blimey that’s relief .

I read the Heading  title as “ Aston Villa Are History Thread”.......?

just been past....there was no Bulldozers.😀

Edited by TRO

4 hours ago, Five Ken McNaughts said:

A true legend....I have the good fortune to remember him playing,watching him play perched on my Dads shoulders in the Holte.....what a winger, took no prisoners either.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

On 28/01/2020 at 22:20, sheepyvillian said:

I seen another picture of the Argentina players expecting the pitch in 66 and it's the little Witton Lane stand. Google Villa Park, you may see it. 

I didn't know Diana Dors was a villa fan?

On 27/06/2019 at 23:02, OutByEaster? said:

I've heard your story too - I think it's the most common of the origin stories and the one most likely to be true.

I've never heard the Hearts/Rangers thing before.

Although it's here:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-kits-claret-strip-14463052

I guess it would be the William McGregor influence.

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

I really struggle to enjoy our history in the same way other villa fans do. The whole time I’ve supported them we’ve won the peace cup and the weird trophy John Terry picked up.

At least you don't have the pain of loss and disappointment that some of us feel... 😪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Spoony said:

I really struggle to enjoy our history in the same way other villa fans do. The whole time I’ve supported them we’ve won the peace cup and the weird trophy John Terry picked up.

Don't fret.....you have the privilege of watching one of the best Villa players, right now.

that's how highly, i rate him.

14 hours ago, Spoony said:

We’ll put that right on March 1st, which is also my birthday. The last time we played in a cup final on my birthday was 1975 when we beat Norwich. I was there with my Mom, who wouldn’t miss her son’s 12th birthday, and Dad. It was also my first, of many visits to Wembley. It’s written in the stars Spoony, a new era of Villa glory is about to dawn! UTV!!

• Like 2

On 25/01/2020 at 12:05, Brumstopdogs said:

Every one met in the same area. The Cannock lot were situated at the back, left hand side. no matter how you got there you could meet and stand with your mates. Many times I would get there from work and get a lift back from some one with a car 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Like you Rob, I could write a book.....just short of my 70's and started c 1958/59 I remember being upset at Nigel sims breaking his collar bone against Lincoln in the cup and playing on.

my dad used to put me over the turnstiles in witton lane and I'd have to wait, while he went round to the trinity for the adults entrance, that wait was scary as I remember.

my finest Day was in rotterdam, a day i will never forget if i lived 2 lives.

I was very close to one of our stars, I could write a book on that alone.

I am a season ticket holder, so go to every home game....away is a bit too much for me now.

I remember when Alex Cropley broke his leg against The Albion, I think it was Ali Robertson’s tackle. Andy Gray ran straight up to him and put him on the deck. I used to sit downstairs in the trinity road with my Dad then and we all heard his leg snap. 

I met Alex a few years later 1986/7 I think. It was in his pub in Edinburgh, called Cropley’s. He had Villa, Arsenal and Scotland shirts on the wall. He was a lovely bloke and still good mates with Andy Gray. I was working not boozing, but his Mom came out and made us both a cup of tea!  

• Like 2

Â