Aston Villa History Thread

VILLAMARV

4 hours ago, Stephen_Evans said:

A rather quirky question for anyone old enough to remember:

On which side was the home dressing room in the old Trinity Road Stand?  I always thought it was pitchside of the corridor, i.e. its windows looked out over the pitch in the Trinity Road/North Stand corner.  I thought that was what I remembed from a tour in 1999, but perhaps the memory plays tricks.

But I am reading "Encounters of the Third Kind" which includes photographs taken inside the home dressing room after the 1970 League Cup semi-final against Manchester United.  The windows are too large to have been the pitchside ones and match windows on the exterior of the old Trinity.  So that would put the home dressing room on the opposite side of the corridor.

I suppose the dressing rooms could have been switched over at some point.

I’m old enough but can’t answer your question as to the positioning within the old Trinity. However I seem to remember that during Graham Taylor’s reign, the first one I think, he regarded our changing room as being too big and had it reduced in size. I’m not sure if that involved a swap with the away changing room or not. I assume that it was just some partitioning or as it was under Doug probably a curtain! 

Edited by DaveAV1

An update on our kit history last month, it was black and white stripes before the chocolate and blue stripes.

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/

10 December - Villa's Piebald Shirts: A Mystery Solved?

On 29 November I wrote about the enigmatic "piebald" shirts worn by Aston Villa around 1886. While Bernard Gallagher was the first to mention these to me in 2009, other Villa experts have also found references to them over time. When I looked into this more closely, the term seems to have been first used in Triumphs of the Football Field Narrated by Archie Hunter" first published in 1890. This volume was reprinted in 1997 so I bought a copy and found the relevant passage on page 154.

"I may also mention that this year (1887) the leopards changed their spots - or rather, the Villa changed their colours, which is, perhaps, simpler. In November we decided to put aside the piebald uniform, which was inartistic and never popular and we donned in its place the light blue and cardinal vertically striped jerseys which afterwards became so well known (emphasis added).

archie hunter aston villa fc 1887The significance of this passage is that there is no mention of the old shirts being red and white. As I pointed out last month "piebald" means black and white and we know that the team wore stripes in these colours from at least May 1886. Furthermore I have been harbouring doubts that the looms in use at the time were capable of producing fabric with random blotches of colour, an impression confirmed by a recent visit to the Manchester Museum of Science & Industry. Indeed we now know that looms capable of producing fabric with vertical stripes were a recent invention. My conclusion therefore is that the piebald tops were in fact the black and white striped shirts first reported in The Athletic News of May 1886.

Hunter's book is, by the way, well worth seeking out. First published in The Birmingham Weekly Mercury in 1890, it is in the form of a series of extended interviews which makes for a discursive style full of the sort of conversational flourishes you might expect from a pair of Victorian chaps relaxing over brandy and cigars. Hence, I suppose, Hunter using the word "piebald" rather than the more pedestrian "black and white stripes."

Edited by Kuwabatake Sanjuro
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Olbiyun and their best chums small heath call us "The Historians".

OMG, I have never felt so hurt. What disgraceful behaviour, I know we have an intense rivalry but surely there should be limits? It's just sick. 

I know the old sticks and stones rhyme but really when they go that far it's hard not to hurt.  Bloody animals. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

OMG, I have never felt so hurt. What disgraceful behaviour, I know we have an intense rivalry but surely there should be limits? It's just sick. 

I know the old sticks and stones rhyme but really when they go that far it's hard not to hurt.  Bloody animals. 

Albion are probably worse at least we won things in the 20th century. Albion best day were like pre 1885

14 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Olbiyun and their best chums small heath call us "The Historians".

That's because they're words removed.

I bet half of them respond "Ian who?",

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

That lot look like right side scum to me. 

We're the left, we're the left side, the left side of The Holte. 

THE LEFT SIDE... 

THE LEFT SIDE... 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MikeMcKenna said:

As we are approaching the 2nd leg of Carabao League Cup semi-final v Leicester on Tuesday, I thought people may be interested to see my 2nd leg programme from very first league cup final which we won over two legs against Rotherham. Due to congestion the previous season, we couldn’t play the final till the 1961/62 season. Despite its historical significance and the opportunity to win a cup, there was only a crowd of 31,202 at VP.  As an 8 year old, I was one of them! 

We got off to a disastrous start in the first leg losing 2-0 at Rotherham in August. A month later at Villa park, we were still behind on agreggate by the 66th minute. Then Alan O’Neil and Harry Burrows pulled it back to 2-2 by 90 minutes. In extra time the legend that is Peter McParland made it three - nil and won the very first league for Aston Villa FC. After the match McParland described Villa fans as “the greatest fans in football” for urging the team on throughout the game.

Nearly 60 years later, beat Leicester on Tuesday and we have a chance at Wembley of making it  6 League cups - Man City may have other ideas of course. UTV 🙂 

13BC1F8A-3DEB-4885-A460-3BA29B7D7782.jpeg

438AB67D-D8DD-4FBB-BE34-FB20941BE97D.jpeg

Wow, that was the very first match I ever attended at VP! Was a great night. :hooray::flag:

I was 10. 

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 3

On 20/06/2019 at 23:01, sidcow said:

Anyone else got a Holte Ends last stand certificate? I'll have to try dig it out from God knows where and take a photo. 

I have one somewhere...along with a piece of Holte concrete on a plinth.

• Like 2

On 25/01/2020 at 13:35, sheepyvillian said:

I believe the little Witton Lane stand was erected for the 66 World Cup. 

I don’t think so. It was seated on the top level and standing on the lower level. You can see the Witton Lane stand in this image for the Liverpool v Chelsea FA Cup semi-final in March 1965. It was made an all seater stand for the 66 World Cup.

4E4172F1-7745-445F-AC68-99EB44ECE0AB.jpeg

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Tranmere League Cup Semi 2nd Leg in 94...what a game! I was 7.

I remember listening to the first leg on the radio and giving up before the end to trudge off to the pub. A mate of mine came in, a Bluenose, and said we’d got one back at the end to make it 3-1 and give us a chance. What a game the second leg was, the final wasn’t bad either. 

• Like 3

Â