Aston Villa History Thread

VILLAMARV

I have to say, this season the full house, every match has been fantastic and the atmosphere generated, by this new generation has been in keeping with the traditions of the club, the passion is overwhelming.

I have no doubt Deans style( despite my clamour for a better defensive effort) has been instrumental in the full attendances.

It just seems like the old days......hats off to the new breed of Villa fan too.

• Like 3

On 10/02/2020 at 10:34, Robtaylor200 said:

Whats the cheapest  you remember paying to get in 40p. I remember wearing my Crombie coat with a hole in one pocket making sure I put my 60p the change from a pound into the correct pocket 

I remember Boys' entrance 1/-. circa 1964. (That's 5p for you youths). Anyone else remember that or have I dreamt it?

• Like 1

I wish my old chap was still here to add to these memories. He used to cycle to the match as a lad and leave his bike at the houses in Witton  lane, before they were knocked down to increase the stand 

Does any one remember the Villa chip shop, it used to serve chips in pink or blue paper 

• Like 2

If we win on Sunday, we'll be the first team in PL history to win a game in every day of the week.

Monday - Newcastle
Tuesday - Watford
Wednesday - Burnley
Thursday - Norwich
Friday - Everton
Saturday - Brighton/Norwich
Sunday - ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

If we win on Sunday, we'll be the first team in PL history to win a game in every day of the week.

Monday - Newcastle
Tuesday - Watford
Wednesday - Burnley
Thursday - Norwich
Friday - Everton
Sunday - ?

We've never won a Premier league game on a Sunday? 

6 hours ago, bielesibub said:

I've got a memory (1979/80? its probably wrong) of being about 5 and walking down the Villa from Beverley Croft to get there for half time and we'd get in for free if there was room. 

On 23 September 1989 there was a partial bus strike on, only certain garages involved.  I was trying to get to Villa Park from Hall Green and I used to get the no 11a bus via Stechford all the way to Aston. 

I was waiting for ages and thought I would be ok because the no 11c was running the other way.  Eventually someone told me the garage serving the 11a was on strike so only the 11c was running. 

I got on the next 11c and went all the long way around via Winson Green.  Got to Villa Park just after half time but couldn't find any turnstile to let me in so went home. 

Fortunately when I got home I looked the match up and was delighted I hadn't got in.  We were playing QPR and Trevor Francis scored a perfect hatrick in a 3-1 win.  I was very glad to miss that little piece of Villa Park history! 

• Like 2

On 12/02/2020 at 13:12, TRO said:

I have to say, this season the full house, every match has been fantastic and the atmosphere generated, by this new generation has been in keeping with the traditions of the club, the passion is overwhelming.

I have no doubt Deans style( despite my clamour for a better defending effort) has been instrumental in the full attendances.

It just seems like the old days......hats off to the new breed of Villa fan too.

2 hours ago, imavillan said:

Saw this picture on twitter.....

i think circa 70's/80's 

spacer.png

Believe it or not that is 1994 lad is wearing a Asics Muller striped kit.

Some terrible baggy fashion in the 90s!  I wore it too 😬

• Haha 1

Autographs

This thread has certainly brought a lot of joy and memories for me. I actually started digging out old programmes I have from the 70s and 80s , the voucher for cups was printed on the back or front, you had to cut them out and save them up and then queue all around the ground from 4am in the morning to get a Wembley ticket. I was looking at the teams on the back page and the  players I had watched from other teams. for instance MON when he played for Forest, Dalglish and Ian Rush to name a few. Amongst them I have loads of autographs, even a birthday card signed by Brian Little and another on my 50th from MON.

But (I get to the point of my post) I was watching a friendly at Hednesford park about 20 years ago me and the lad were sitting by Doug Ellis and as the players came over to chat to him we were getting autographs. Julian Joachim was one I recognise.  An old guy who was sat by Doug and asked us if we wanted his autograph, we asked who he was, He said he played for the Villa in the 40s. I am ashamed to say we didn't show him the respect he deserved we were more interested in the current team. I wish I could go back to that moment and find out who he was. Any body have any idea.

image.png

On 12/02/2020 at 18:02, Keyblade said:

Monday - Newcastle
Tuesday - Watford
Wednesday - Burnley
Thursday - Norwich
Friday - Everton
Sunday - ?

Sure I heard somewhere that we would be the second team to do it? Stand to be corrected. I’d settle for boring 3pts tbh

2 hours ago, imavillan said:

Saw this picture on twitter.....

i think circa 70's/80's 

spacer.png

Man Doug Ellis loved the cheapo signage didn't he.  No expense spent there. 

Â