Aston Villa History Thread

VILLAMARV

29 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

have we ever won 10 league games in a row?

9 is our record in the league, we've gone 11 unbeaten in all competitions in 1897, 9 wins in league and 2 Fa Cup wins and then in 1910 we also won 9 straight league games. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I love stories like thst. We've recently had some building work done, and the builder (naturally, in Leeds) was a Leeds United fan. This was just after the Elland Road fiasco game, so I was ready for an argument when I told him I was a Villa fan. After he apologised for Bamford's disgraceful conduct, he told me how some years ago he had a Villa fan working for him - Brummie ex-soldier with PTSD issues, always worked in a Villa shirt. Said he was a top lad, but he sadly got terminal cancer. My builder contacted Villa who sent him a first team shirt, signed by all the players, and he took it to him in hospital, shortly before he died. Said he's had a soft spot for our club ever since - he still gets sent the catalogues from the club shop, but sentimentally, can't bring himself to cancel them. For a Leeds fan, he's a good guy. 

Makes me proud to be a Villa fan, as if I needed to be reminded why this is the best club in the world ☺️

• Like 1

Pointless to start a new thread but penalty shoot outs, we are quite good at them. Inter, Tranmere, Bolton, Sunderland, Peace Cup vs Juventus and now tonight

Cant remember us losing too many 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Dick

i will be eternally proud to say that game was my first at Villa Park. It was my 6th birthday.

Instead of a company nameplate on my seat in corporate, Mine says:

Aston Villa 11 Charlton Athletic 1

14th November 1959

November this year will be my 60th anniversary supporting AVFC 😀 

Wow, I love stories like this! So many ups and downs for you, eh? :( My first game was a 5-0 loss to Southampton at The Dell. 

Fingers crossed we are now on another up...

(Den 😉

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/05/2019 at 19:53, MikeMcKenna said:

Dick

i will be eternally proud to say that game was my first at Villa Park. It was my 6th birthday.

14th November 1959

Mike - you beat me by a month  - December 12  2-0 v Cardiff (with whom we were promoted).  I was 10 and I was parked down the front of the Witton End by my father to watch the game through those railings that showed about 20 coats of paint on them. The players looked like giants with thighs like telegraph poles and a young kid would instinctively take a step back when they came to get the ball.  It was a few years before I was trusted in the Holte.

• Like 3

I love this idea.  A thread about Aston Villa in the olden days. 

Does anyone else remember when we used to play in The Championship? 

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I love this idea.  A thread about Aston Villa in the olden days. 

Does anyone else remember when we used to play in The Championship? 

Like it were only a few weeks ago... Madness 😀

• Haha 1

On 15/05/2019 at 00:53, MikeMcKenna said:

Dick

14th November 1959

This is my most treasured Aston Villa memento.  Aston Villa 11 v Charlton Athletic 1 - as above my first game.

Amazingly many years later, I subsequently met four of the forwards in this game;  Bobby Thompson, Ron Wylie, Jimmy McEwan and the  great Peter McParland who lives nearby me in Bournemouth and I now consider a friend.

Sadly as many of you know Gerry Hitchens passed away at only 49 in 1983.

Hopefully I have uploaded correctly!

AVFC_Charlton4.jpg.7912fdadacaea2060d75e67174684151.jpgAVFC_Charlton3.jpg.7c8c1d4650da1660480fa19a30f93e3d.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, MikeMcKenna said:

This is my most treasured Aston Villa memento.  Aston Villa 11 v Charlton Athletic 1 - as above my first game.

Amazingly many years later, I subsequently met four of the forwards in this game;  Bobby Thompson, Ron Wylie, Jimmy McEwan and the  great Peter McParland who lives nearby me in Bournemouth and I now consider a friend.

Sadly as many of you know Gerry Hitchens passed away at only 49 in 1983.

Hopefully I have uploaded correctly!

AVFC_Charlton4.jpg.7912fdadacaea2060d75e67174684151.jpgAVFC_Charlton3.jpg.7c8c1d4650da1660480fa19a30f93e3d.jpg

Thank you @MikeMcKenna. Must have been a hell of a game.

Can you answer a question for me please? I was always under the impression that the end where The North Stand now sits was nothing more than a grassy bank before, but that programme cover suggests something more akin to a smaller Holte End.  Also what was it called before it was The North Stand? 

I think I may have seen it, my first trip to Villa Park was around 1975-6 but I was so young my memory is just not good enough. 

My overriding memory is seeing a policeman frogmarching a skinhead down the corridor next to me, and my dad trying to get me to sip some of his beer as a drink as he was too tight fisted to buy me a soft drink as well as a beer for himself. 

Also looking at the AV floodlights on the way home sitting on his shoulders with a huge Villa Rosette on my chest which I kept for years till it literally fell apart. 

What happened to Rosettes? You never see those anymore. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

Anyone else find these pictures weird?

An instantly recognisable image of current modern Villa Park with glimpses of Edwardian Villa Park. 

the-holte-end-stand-at-villa-park-is-dem

JS35723533.jpg

Also tragic.  I shed a tear the first time I went through a sideshow showing the demolition of the old Holte End. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

Thank you @MikeMcKenna. Must have been a hell of a game.

Can you answer a question for me please? I was always under the impression that the end where The North Stand now sits was nothing more than a grassy bank before, but that programme cover suggests something more akin to a smaller Holte End.  Also what was it called before it was The North Stand? 

I think I may have seen it, my first trip to Villa Park was around 1975-6 but I was so young my memory is just not good enough. 

My overriding memory is seeing a policeman frogmarching a skinhead down the corridor next to me, and my dad trying to get me to sip some of his beer as a drink as he was too tight fisted to buy me a soft drink as well as a beer for himself. 

Also looking at the AV floodlights on the way home sitting on his shoulders with a huge Villa Rosette on my chest which I kept for years till it literally fell apart. 

What happened to Rosettes? You never see those anymore. 

@sidcow great memories - up till I was 14/15 I also used to go to VP with my old man. In fairness I don’t remember much about the game, other than everybody being a bit shocked at the score and raving about Gerry Hitchens. 

It was called the Witton End. It was definitely terraced and think only the very top was a grassy/mud bank. I only went in it once for the Villa v Man U semi-final in December 1970 as I couldn’t get a ticket for the Holte. Me and my mate nearly got our heads kicked in by their Neanderthals when we jumped up for our second and winning goal but were saved by a copper! However we refused to leave and he just stood beside us 🙂 

I remember the rosettes but don’t think I ever had one. I did however,  when I was 10/11, have a huge claret and blue rattle which made a right racket. Bit like the one below. Wish I still had it. Maybe some can recall but I have feeling they were banned at some point. 

64F6F5F3-90E3-433F-A2FB-391E070F43DD.jpeg.d9a9984c4a7531e4058d98e2c85b9601.jpeg

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 1

It was terraced on the front but the back was just raw earth bank - to avoid the queue to leave, Dad and I would scramble down the back - ankle-breaking territory.

I believe the last piece of the old Lower Gounds amusement park was a stretch of wall along the backs of the houses in Nelson Rd. I remember seeing that. It in turn was part of a raised walkway which exited the Witton End where it joined the main stand.

In fact it was part of the long building shown in the picture posted by MARVILLA above

I can also remember the Argus headline "Villa 11 Hitchens 5 !!. Rather confused me as I thought we were playing Charlton!

Hitchens was a God to me for the short time he was at Villa

Edited by SirSteveUK
  • Like 1

Â