Aston Villa History Thread

VILLAMARV

Could anybody explain to me the origins of the brick facade of the Holte End? I thought when it was last redeveloped that the facade had to be kept because it was listed or some such. But looking at pictures of the Holte End from a few decades back it seems like it was just a big wedge shape with a sheer blank plain wall at the back - no fancy red bricks to be seen at all. So what's the story? When did that fancy facade arrive?

Going back to the possible rebuild of the North Stand I would have sat in my current Holte End seat when it looked like this, I think around the second or third home game after the season started. 

aston-villa-villa-park-holte-end-3-augus

Actually thinking about it, it may have been a bit later with the whole roof on. I've a feeling it was a European night, anyone remember? Would that fit? 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, sidcow said:

The old Holte was completely demolished. 

Google will reveal many pictures of the demolition and and also many pictures of the new build. The red brick facade is a homage to the old Trinity Road stand, one of the most beautiful buildings ever built anywhere ever and should have been grade 1 listed but it wasn't so Doug Ellis vandalised it and built the current tin can monstrosity. 

The only decent thing Randy Lerner ever did in his miserable existence was to commission the hand crafted tile mosaic at the top of the Holte which is a nearly fitting tribute to the old Trinity Road mosaics. 

But where is our Archibald Leitch pediment gable? Where is it? How hard would that have been to save? Disgraceful Doug disgraceful. 

Thanks. I'm aware of the Trinity Road history, but I guess I misunderstood the history of the Holte End. I didn't realise it was a relatively modern homage to the Trinity Road stand. Interesting.

• Thanks 1

I used to have a great photo of the 1994/95 squad stood on the old Holte before it’s demolition. It was in one of my copies of “Claret & Blue” which in a typical moment of idiocy I’ve got rid of during the intervening years.

I do like the mosaic but it does bug me that the lion is the rubbish one we had when we ultimately were relegated under Lerner.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, sidcow said:

Anyone else got a Holte Ends last stand certificate? I'll have to try dig it out from God knows where and take a photo. 

https://www.avfc.co.uk/on-this-day/05/7/1990 - 1999/holtes-last-stand

On this day in 1994, Villa Park’s famous Holte End was used as a terrace for the final time.

Sorry had a few glasses of wine and getting overly nostalgic. 

What a fitting end to the Original Holte beating Liverpool, and 19,210 fans, half as many home fans as entire Villa Park holds now, and that's with 90's restrictions. 

Anyone know the most ever packed into The Holte? I would assume it would be for the 1946 game against Derby with 76,588 in total. Maybe 35,000 odd in The Holte? 

Just for a bit of a laff and a lot off topic but the record crowd at Old Trafford was for Wolverhampton Wanderers vs Grimsby Town in1939, therefore not even a Man Ure game. 

It's pathetic but worth reminding any plastic Manc. 

My mate is a Wolves fan and took great pleasure in asking the tour guide about the record Old Trafford crowd when he went on a tour there. 

You would think they would find a way to put a couple more thousand seats in there just to put that straight. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, sidcow said:

Just for a bit of a laff and a lot off topic but the record crowd at Old Trafford was for Wolverhampton Wanderers vs Grimsby Town in1939, therefore not even a Man Ure game. 

It's pathetic but worth reminding any plastic Manc. 

My mate is a Wolves fan and took great pleasure in asking the tour guide about the record Old Trafford crowd when he went on a tour there. 

You would think they would find a way to put a couple more thousand seats in there just to put that straight. 

I’ve been to Old Trafford a few times, including the 1977 League Cup Final 3rd replay. One of the times was as a guest in a corporate package. I entered through some fancy entrance and the restaurant had a huge windowed wall, which looked out over the people arriving. The food was good and Norman Whiteside did a chat afterwards. Then you’re shown to your padded seat to watch the game. My seat was at one end on the right hand side, The Villa fans were in the corner to my left, providing the atmosphere. Halftime drinks etc.

The whole thing was done very professionally and I’m sure those that had attended had enjoyed a splendid day out at the footy. But for me the overwhelming feeling was that I’d been on a corporate jolly that had included a football match. I didn’t get the usual feeling of going to a match. The fact that the whole thing was so sanitised and you just go to your seat directly from a restaurant, was almost surreal.

The fact they walloped us 4-0 didn’t help, but even that didn’t seem anything but a side show. It was that game that I realise where Roy Kean’s rant about the “prawn sandwich brigade” had come from. I didn’t feel that I was amongst football fans. If our lot crammed in the corner hadn’t been there, it would have seemed like I’d been to a fancy restaurant and a football match had broken out. I’ve been on a corporate package at Villa Park, Sunderland 6-1. It wasn’t anything like as sanitised, but equally professionally done. However I did find myself looking longingly at the Holte and wishing I was in my usual seat. 

11 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’ve been to Old Trafford a few times, including the 1977 League Cup Final 3rd replay. One of the times was as a guest in a corporate package. I entered through some fancy entrance and the restaurant had a huge windowed wall, which looked out over the people arriving. The food was good and Norman Whiteside did a chat afterwards. Then you’re shown to your padded seat to watch the game. My seat was at one end on the right hand side, The Villa fans were in the corner to my left, providing the atmosphere. Halftime drinks etc.

The whole thing was done very professionally and I’m sure those that had attended had enjoyed a splendid day out at the footy. But for me the overwhelming feeling was that I’d been on a corporate jolly that had included a football match. I didn’t get the usual feeling of going to a match. The fact that the whole thing was so sanitised and you just go to your seat directly from a restaurant, was almost surreal.

The fact they walloped us 4-0 didn’t help, but even that didn’t seem anything but a side show. It was that game that I realise where Roy Kean’s rant about the “prawn sandwich brigade” had come from. I didn’t feel that I was amongst football fans. If our lot crammed in the corner hadn’t been there, it would have seemed like I’d been to a fancy restaurant and a football match had broken out. I’ve been on a corporate package at Villa Park, Sunderland 6-1. It wasn’t anything like as sanitised, but equally professionally done. However I did find myself looking longingly at the Holte and wishing I was in my usual seat. 

I watched Juan Pablo Angel make his debut from inside an executive box at Old Trafford. It's no way to watch football from behind glass. Also been inside the ones in the North Stand. 

It's better to have corporate like they do in some parts of the North Stand and Trinity both of which I have done where you eat in the restaurant then go to a seat in the stand.

But yes, I agree I have gazed longingly at The Holte End and tried to spot those around my seat. 

In the end I tried to turn them down as often as I decently could. 

Fortunately I have changed my job now so don't get those invites anymore. 

Edited by sidcow

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I watched Juan Pablo Angel make his debut from inside an executive box at Old Trafford. It's no way to watch football from behind glass. Also been inside the ones in the North Stand. 

It's better to have corporate like they do in some parts of the North Stand and Trinity both of which I have done where you eat in the restaurant then go to a seat in the stand.

But yes, I agree I have gazed longingly at The Holte End and tried to spot those around my seat. 

In the end I tried to turn them down as often as I decently could. 

Fortunately I have changed my job now so don't get those invites anymore. 

I’m now 460 miles away from my spiritual home, so games will be few and far between. Especially since tickets will be very hard to come by. Never mind I can be an armchair supporter, with lots and lots of amazing memories. UTV!!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’m now 460 miles away from my spiritual home, so games will be few and far between. Especially since tickets will be very hard to come by. Never mind I can be an armchair supporter, with lots and lots of amazing memories. UTV!!!

Was hoping to get to a few games myself this season Dave.

Kind of suprised the season tickets have shot through the roof.

Hope NasWes have those stadium architects in already....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sidcow said:

The old Holte was completely demolished. 

Google will reveal many pictures of the demolition and and also many pictures of the new build. The red brick facade is a homage to the old Trinity Road stand, one of the most beautiful buildings ever built anywhere ever and should have been grade 1 listed but it wasn't so Doug Ellis vandalised it and built the current tin can monstrosity. 

The only decent thing Randy Lerner ever did in his miserable existence was to commission the hand crafted tile mosaic at the top of the Holte which is a nearly fitting tribute to the old Trinity Road mosaics. 

But where is our Archibald Leitch pediment gable? Where is it? How hard would that have been to save? Disgraceful Doug disgraceful. 

And as Simon Inglis hints at in his Football Grounds of England and Wales book, it was a fairly cheap looking “homage”.  It looked more the part when Randy put the mosaics and stained glass windows in.  Doug’s windows looked like something from a 3 bedroom semi & the Aston Villa name and badge were plastic.

Edited by Stephen_Evans
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Stephen_Evans said:

And as Simon Inglis hints at in his Football Grounds of England and Wales book, it was a fairly cheap looking “homage”.  It looked more the part when Randy put then mosaics and stained glass windows in.  Doug’s windows looked like something from a 3 bedroom semi & the Aston Villa name and badge were plastic.

And fixed those steps which had inexplicably been left for years looking like someone had stopped halfway through trying to remove them with a flame thrower and abandoned the idea.

Appearance might not be everything, but it is nevertheless important.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So many smaller things Doug did to Villa Park annoyed me, from an aesthetic point of view:

- the cheap looking oddity housing a TV studio that occupies the space between the Holte End and the Witton Lane Stand

- the external metal staircase leading from the Trinity Road pavilion down to the Holte End

- the lower deck of the Witton Lane Stand blocking the corner of the Holte (built literally months apart!)

- the Corner Flag restaurant - the footprint of this building has all kinds of funny angles, not a single parallel building line to judge from Google Earth!

- a great big air conditioning unit in the players' car park

Best not get started on the Trinity Road Stand itself....

Doug did not give two hoots what anything looked like.  Even the old Holte was given a chocolate brown and red cladded exterior when they put on a £1/2m roof that lasted only 4 years before demolition.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stephen_Evans said:

So many smaller things Doug did to Villa Park annoyed me, from an aesthetic point of view:

He was one of those people they made the saying for  - "He knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing".

• Like 3

Â