Aston Villa History Thread

VILLAMARV

5 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Bloody hell that is rough as. 

Yeah, people moan about the appearance of the North Stand. 

Would probably have been a lot better without the corrugated cladding above, probably hiding more red brick. 

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Yeah, people moan about the appearance of the North Stand. 

Would probably have been a lot better without the corrugated cladding above, probably hiding more red brick. 

Indeed. The roof was a 1960s replacement for the original, with the original stand remaining underneath.  There was also somebody remodelling of the seating areas as well.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Stephen_Evans said:

Indeed. The roof was a 1960s replacement for the original, with the original stand remaining underneath.  There was also somebody remodelling of the seating areas as well.

I expect it was considered modern and sleek at the time and original rounded roof seen as old fashioned. 

So much beauty was destroyed in the 60's in the name of modernity. 

Edited by sidcow

On 20/06/2019 at 23:01, sidcow said:

Anyone else got a Holte Ends last stand certificate? I'll have to try dig it out from God knows where and take a photo. 

My grandad has it in the loft with his thousands of other programmes.

On 23/06/2019 at 07:55, Rugeley Villa said:

Does anyone know where we got our colours from? I know , but be interesting to see how many others know. 

A Pub Floor up in Edinburgh from what I can remember.

Tiles of Claret and Blue and they were considered looking good together. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NIVillan said:

A Pub Floor up in Edinburgh from what I can remember.

Tiles of Claret and Blue and they were considered looking good together. 

We adopted the colours of Rangers(Blue) and Hearts(Claret) 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

We adopted the colours of Rangers(Blue) and Hearts(Claret) 

To this day, Hearts are my Scottish club tbh, with an unrestricted apology to Hibs given the SJM linkage over the last 12 months.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NIVillan said:

Im just retelling the story told by the Guy doing the Villa Park tour.

I've heard your story too - I think it's the most common of the origin stories and the one most likely to be true.

I've never heard the Hearts/Rangers thing before.

Although it's here:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-kits-claret-strip-14463052

Villa were the first club to wear claret and blue and according to Tony Matthews the theme was a Scottish influence, combining the maroon of Hearts and the blue of Rangers, with the Scottish lion rampant included in the badge.

• 1 month later...
On ‎10‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 20:38, sidcow said:

I was always under the impression that the end where The North Stand now sits was nothing more than a grassy bank before, but that programme cover suggests something more akin to a smaller Holte End.  Also what was it called before it was The North Stand?

Here's a few photo's of the old Witton End just as building work started on the North Stand in the mid 70's

north stand4.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's a strange one deciding what was good from the past and what wasn't in terms of villa park. We all have a period of time where it was our villa park. I remember the holte with the big barrier gap down the middle, and hated when it became all seating. The north stand is awful but is massively better than what it replaced, the problem was in that period most buildings by today's standards are dated.

I'm in the minority. I'd love a new ground, in the same place.(we have moved before) But modern. The same way that the trinity was modern when it was built. I've seen enough grand designs to see how the old and new can be integrated. (😊)

Imagine a 21st century design with a focus on our 19th century history. 

I'd heard that our original colours were chocolate brown and sky blue but when they reordered the shirts the next season there was some sort of cock up at the tailors and they came back claret and blue,which they preferred and kept. 

• 5 months later...

A rather quirky question for anyone old enough to remember:

On which side was the home dressing room in the old Trinity Road Stand?  I always thought it was pitchside of the corridor, i.e. its windows looked out over the pitch in the Trinity Road/North Stand corner.  I thought that was what I remembed from a tour in 1999, but perhaps the memory plays tricks.

But I am reading "Encounters of the Third Kind" which includes photographs taken inside the home dressing room after the 1970 League Cup semi-final against Manchester United.  The windows are too large to have been the pitchside ones and match windows on the exterior of the old Trinity.  So that would put the home dressing room on the opposite side of the corridor.

I suppose the dressing rooms could have been switched over at some point.

On 23/06/2019 at 07:54, Rugeley Villa said:

My grandad has it in the loft with his thousands of other programmes.

I was there but I don’t recall a certificate, must have been in the program. It was a wonderful and emotional day. The Holte will always be special in whatever form it’s in, but that old place......  I’ve got to go I think the wife must be cooking onions. 

Â