Aston Villa History Thread

VILLAMARV

On 13/02/2020 at 20:57, TRO said:

My wife was born at 10 Holte rd ( first house around the corner)and her aunt used to use that chippy regularly and worked at the Holte pub for c 30 years....they had that family house for the best part of, 100 years...handed down....all mad villans.

we both have season tickets still.....

when we first met there was a pregnant pause, when i told her i was born in Small Heath.....having then reassured her I was a mad Villa fan, relations resumed.....after 44 years married, we still have a chuckle about that....she said " I nearly dumped you"

happy days

1 hour ago, TRO said:

https://yuiop196.imgbb.com/

paste the link in to your URL and they should open up...if not Limpid will sack me.

Rob These are a couple of shots of the lads at my Wedding in 1976, at The Mackadown Social in Kitts Green...We had 2 receptions 1 at the Arden Motel and then on to the mackadown to get sloshed.

The images are not great and the photoghrapher was a Knob head

My wifes Mom was the stewardess of the Mackadown, hence the attraction to go there

We had a small group of lads inc Andy,Jake, ,Bobby Mac and sometimes John Gidman.....Bobby named us the " Box of Toys" cockney slang for the "Boys".....juvenile or what?......all Birds and Booze was the mantra.

The one image is us as a group singing Villa songs in a predominately Blue nose Mackadown club, that went down like a french kiss at a jewish wedding, so many cat calls to shut up, it was funny......I am in the Green suit and Andy is just behind me, with his brother Duncan just behind him.....Jake is just behind my Pal holding the Villa Pendant, Booby Mac is just behind him.

My Old man was at The front, after watching Villa for donkeys years, he was really in his oiltot with this lot.

I hope you can open them up as I am not very good at this.

PS we had a real Gas that Day.

@TRO I lived in Tile Cross and knew the Mackadown social club well. So funny that you were all singing Villa songs in there! It was a bluenose club to the core. Villa fans were very rare in there. Great pics by the way. 

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

@TRO I lived in Tile Cross and knew the Mackadown social club well. So funny that you were all singing Villa songs in there! It was a bluenose club to the core. Villa fans were very rare in there. Great pics by the way. 

Mike, we got so slagged off terrible, but my mother-in Law ran the club and they knew it was my wedding day......so we got away with it.....plus we were all sloshed and laughing anyway.

my old pop, never knew whether he was coming or going.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

I was a decent Dart player in those days Mike and played for the Malt House, in Tile cross, who had a cracking team, full of "sports Argus"players....such a small world mate.

you were the sensible one ,going to Bournemouth.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

There are some great interviews with former players, shots of Villa Park and a bit of a first team training session, available on YouTube, if you search, "Aston Villa League Cup Final Build Up - 24th Feb 1971".

It's among the many Villa offerings from "Villa Boy". Search if you have a spare 16 minutes  It's great stuff for the first 13 minutes and there is a lot of other good Villa stuff available there, as I'm sure most of us well know, but I thought that I would mention this, just in case somebody hadn't seen this one.  

Edited by John

On 20/02/2020 at 12:04, imavillan said:

1.27 Of a very early MotD🙂

If you look closely you can see the old layout of the six yard box which was a 6 yard arc around each post. There's also a line that stretches across the whole width of the pitch, 12 yards away from the goal. That was the penalty line and you could take a penalty from anywhere along it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I was a decent Dart player in those days Mike and played for the Malt House, in Tile cross, who had a cracking team, full of "sports Argus"players....such a small world mate.

you were the sensible one ,going to Bournemouth.

Knew all the pubs in the area well. Malthouse was a bit of a s***hole, used the Bell, Marston Green Tavern more but they were all bluenose pubs. My local in the 70s was the White Hart, gaffer was a Villa fan. There were a fair few of us Villa fans in there, who travelled home and away. Went to the Final, Final, Final v Everton at old trafford in the gaffers Jag. We thought we were the bees knees rolling up in Manchester in that. After winning we travelled back to the White Hart and were still there at 9am in the morning!!! 

• Like 1

On 16 February 2020 at 09:35, Robtaylor200 said:

Autographs

This thread has certainly brought a lot of joy and memories for me. I actually started digging out old programmes I have from the 70s and 80s , the voucher for cups was printed on the back or front, you had to cut them out and save them up and then queue all around the ground from 4am in the morning to get a Wembley ticket. I was looking at the teams on the back page and the  players I had watched from other teams. for instance MON when he played for Forest, Dalglish and Ian Rush to name a few. Amongst them I have loads of autographs, even a birthday card signed by Brian Little and another on my 50th from MON.

But (I get to the point of my post) I was watching a friendly at Hednesford park about 20 years ago me and the lad were sitting by Doug Ellis and as the players came over to chat to him we were getting autographs. Julian Joachim was one I recognise.  An old guy who was sat by Doug and asked us if we wanted his autograph, we asked who he was, He said he played for the Villa in the 40s. I am ashamed to say we didn't show him the respect he deserved we were more interested in the current team. I wish I could go back to that moment and find out who he was. Any body have any idea.

image.png

Very interesting, @Robtaylor200! I have arrived at a different answer to @John, though I may well be entirely wrong (funny thing though, John – you once posted about visiting the sports shop of the guy I am going to suggest!). 

Yep, I think that signature belongs to AVFC legend "Harry Parkes" (played 1939-1955) who also served on Doug Ellis's first board and with whom Doug seems to have remained friends (speaking warmly of him at his funeral in 2009). So I guess it's not beyond the realms of possibility that they might have been watching a Villa match together about twenty years ago.

Now, I know the relevant writing (above the "Aston V 1943") isn't the best, but I think the attempted "e" and "s" at the end of Parkes might be rather on top of one another, and I would tentatively suggest there is another clue to consider. The young Harry Parkes' signature – while written with the sort of virtuoso flourish that might well be simplified as you reach old age – had a habit of looking like "H J Parkes". If you can get a decent close-up, you can see an example (bottom centre) in a product photo of this old programme on EBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aston-Villa-1943-44-Season-League-cup-winner-s-side-photograph-autographs-/324021418999 

His middle name was, in fact, Arthur (so I guess he just had a very funny way of writing that "A") but we certainly seem to have the same "H J" thing going on in both the "young" and "old" signatures.

As for the other element of the signature: "Aston V 1943", well, the only thing Harry Parkes won during his 16 years with Villa was the War Cup in 1944. So it's just possible that the treasured team photo he passed on the stairs every night read: "Aston Villa 1943-1944". I guess it's not too much of a 'slip' – more than half a century later – for him to have alluded to the feat with "Aston V 1943". 

So – with apologies for the length of this post – that's my theory. And, depending on your memory, Rob, you may even be able to see if you recognise the author of that signature in these photos. The most recent from the 1980s shows Harry Parkes looking fed up after John tried on every pair of trainers and boots in his shop 😉.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gallery/tribute-gallery-of-harry-parkes-199875 

(Of course this may also be the point where you say: "Nah. The bloke I saw was kinda Chinese looking. Ginger hair. One eye. Big birthmark on his cheek.")

Edited by Five Ken McNaughts
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Knew all the pubs in the area well. Malthouse was a bit of a s***hole, used the Bell, Marston Green Tavern more but they were all bluenose pubs. My local in the 70s was the White Hart, gaffer was a Villa fan. There were a fair few of us Villa fans in there, who travelled home and away. Went to the Final, Final, Final v Everton at old trafford in the gaffers Jag. We thought we were the bees knees rolling up in Manchester in that. After winning we travelled back to the White Hart and were still there at 9am in the morning!!! 

I never used the Malthouse as a regular......Just played Darts for a good side.....all the pubs were rough around there.

5 hours ago, Five Ken McNaughts said:

Very interesting, @Robtaylor200! I have arrived at a different answer to @John, though I may well be entirely wrong (funny thing though, John – you once posted about visiting the sports shop of the guy I am going to suggest!). 

Yep, I think that signature belongs to AVFC legend "Harry Parkes" (played 1939-1955) who also served on Doug Ellis's first board and with whom Doug seems to have remained friends (speaking warmly of him at his funeral in 2009). So I guess it's not beyond the realms of possibility that they might have been watching a Villa match together about twenty years ago.

Now, I know the relevant writing (above the "Aston V 1943") isn't the best, but I think the attempted "e" and "s" at the end of Parkes might be rather on top of one another, and I would tentatively suggest there is another clue to consider. The young Harry Parkes' signature – while written with the sort of virtuoso flourish that might well be simplified as you reach old age – had a habit of looking like "H J Parkes". If you can get a decent close-up, you can see an example (bottom centre) in a product photo of this old programme on EBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aston-Villa-1943-44-Season-League-cup-winner-s-side-photograph-autographs-/324021418999 

His middle name was, in fact, Arthur (so I guess he just had a very funny way of writing that "A") but we certainly seem to have the same "H J" thing going on in both the "young" and "old" signatures.

As for the other element of the signature: "Aston V 1943", well, the only thing Harry Parkes won during his 16 years with Villa was the War Cup in 1944. So it's just possible that the treasured team photo he passed on the stairs every night read: "Aston Villa 1943-1944". I guess it's not too much of a 'slip' – more than half a century later – for him to have alluded to the feat with "Aston V 1943". 

So – with apologies for the length of this post – that's my theory. And, depending on your memory, Rob, you may even be able to see if you recognise the author of that signature in these photos. The most recent from the 1980s shows Harry Parkes looking fed up after John tried on every pair of trainers and boots in his shop 😉.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gallery/tribute-gallery-of-harry-parkes-199875 

(Of course this may also be the point where you say: "Nah. The bloke I saw was kinda Chinese looking. Ginger hair. One eye. Big birthmark on his cheek.")

Yes, I had thought about Harry as well. You have made a very convincing case. I had wondered about the signature, but had been swayed by the location. I guess we may never know for sure. I think however, that you might just have hit the nail on the head. Nice to see both old boy's getting a mention. 

By the way, I didn't try on quite that many boots, but I did spend a very, very long time looking at the photographs of Villa teams that Harry had up on the shop walls.😊

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Five Ken McNaughts said:

I think your explanation certainly makes a great deal of sense thank you for looking into this. I am not much help. I have a problem with recognising people, in fact it is a standing joke in my family. They are amazed that I remember them every day, I struggle to remember names and faces and have done since a youth (telephone numbers easy faces no). I remember him as being old and unsteady on the feet. I thought at the time 80 ish this may well tie in to your thinking. Thank you

• Like 1

Scoring from corners....

I may have posted this on another thread but here is a great bit of Villa history - maybe John Lerwill knows the match?

i attended the 50th anniversary of the former Villa players association in 2009 and was sitting near Jimmy McEwan (RIP) and called my old dad (RIP) to tell him. He said, ask Jimmy if he remembers scoring from a corner twice in the same game. Jimmy told me that he did indeed. He scored the 1st and it was disallowed despite protests from the players that it was perfectly legal but the ref said take it again - so he did exactly the same and scored again! For some reason the ref allowed the 2nd attempt.

i passed the phone to my dad and he chatted away to Jimmy for 10-15 minutes about the 50s and 60s.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Robtaylor200 said:

I think your explanation certainly makes a great deal of sense thank you for looking into this. I am not much help. I have a problem with recognising people, in fact it is a standing joke in my family. They are amazed that I remember them every day, I struggle to remember names and faces and have done since a youth (telephone numbers easy faces no). I remember him as being old and unsteady on the feet. I thought at the time 80 ish this may well tie in to your thinking. Thank you

As it happened about 20 years ago and given that you had thought that the former player looked in his 80s, Harry was the most likely of these two. Harry Parkes would have been 80, twenty years ago years ago. Jackie Martin passed away in 1996 and had been born in 1914.

My late father went to school with Harry by the way. I wonder, did any VTer's go to school with any of our former players? 

Edited by John

Have any bodies relations ever played for the Villa      My dad used to tell a story that my Grandad told him (with my grandkids we have 5 generations of Villa fans)

He said his cousin was Charlie Athersmith who played in the 1890s, Famous for borrowing an umbrella off some one in the crowd, running down the wing with it and scoring a goal.  Apparently they were playing Sheffield in freezing rain. several Sheffield  players went off needing treatment for exposure leaving only six on the field.Jack Devey from the Villa even played in an overcoat. (those were the days)

I have been looking at Pops family tree since he passed away in June. His parents were from Bloxwich where Charlie was also born so the story is probably true

• Like 1

On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 09:35, Robtaylor200 said:

Autographs

This thread has certainly brought a lot of joy and memories for me. I actually started digging out old programmes I have from the 70s and 80s , the voucher for cups was printed on the back or front, you had to cut them out and save them up and then queue all around the ground from 4am in the morning to get a Wembley ticket. I was looking at the teams on the back page and the  players I had watched from other teams. for instance MON when he played for Forest, Dalglish and Ian Rush to name a few. Amongst them I have loads of autographs, even a birthday card signed by Brian Little and another on my 50th from MON.

But (I get to the point of my post) I was watching a friendly at Hednesford park about 20 years ago me and the lad were sitting by Doug Ellis and as the players came over to chat to him we were getting autographs. Julian Joachim was one I recognise.  An old guy who was sat by Doug and asked us if we wanted his autograph, we asked who he was, He said he played for the Villa in the 40s. I am ashamed to say we didn't show him the respect he deserved we were more interested in the current team. I wish I could go back to that moment and find out who he was. Any body have any idea.

image.png

My thought is Jack Bate. Never played any 'official first team' games but played during the war.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

No wonder the pitches were such a state if they were training on them as well.  Did they not have a training ground before Bodymoor Heath? 

Â