Aston Villa History Thread

VILLAMARV

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, John said:

80 years old today. What a header of the ball. Many happy returns Andy! 🎂

image.jpeg.4ddf82b43e0c9668163a47cdf242da39.jpeg villamad.co.uk: Match Preview: AFC Bournemouth v Aston Villa image.jpeg.e6f146c8f4f3132a1e5eacb39b7ca26f.jpeg Facebook

Happy Birthday Andy

One of those that help us on the road back from the wilderness. 

Scoring in both leagues of the league cup semifinal. The second leg against a formidable United team is one of the all time great Villa Park nights. Over 60,000 there and we were in the 3rd Division.

I think he also chipped in 25 goals that season. Probably best known for his days at Burnley, he is fondly remembered by supporters of a certain vintage.

UTV 

• Like 4

On 02/02/2021 at 20:29, sparrow1988 said:

A cracker scored on this day 30 years ago by big Cas!

I like Siri as well. 

The other one.

Don't google her at work.

• Haha 3

Have we ever had a top flight game in which we were 3-0 down but came back to win 4-3 ?!

I don't think there has been one in my lifetime unless it was when I was a very young kid. Maybe it happened in the 1800s, or in the 1900s before the 80s. All I can think of is our amazing 3-3 against Sheffield United a few seasons ago but that wasn't the top flight anyway. It must be an amazing feeling to be 3-0 down and end up winning 4-3 and I'd love it (absolutely love it) if it finally happened one day !

On 21/03/2021 at 16:58, robby b said:

Have we ever had a top flight game in which we were 3-0 down but came back to win 4-3 ?!

When BFR left, we played Spurs away and won 4-3.His deputy was caretaker - Jim Barron was it? We were I think 3 down, though I could be wrong. It was a while ago

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, blandy said:

When BFR left, we played Spurs away and won 4-3.His deputy was caretaker - Jim Barron was it? We were I think 3 down, though I could be wrong. It was a while ago

Jim Barron was in charge, Villa did win 4-3. But it was 3-0 to Villa, then 3-3 before Saunders nicked a winner in the last minute.

The game before, Big Ron’s final game, strangely also ended 4-3. Villa winning 3-1 against Wimbledon with half an hour left. As it was Atkinson’s final game, the youngsters reading this can work it out themselves how the rest of the game panned out.

• Like 4

I know 2-0 down and won 4-2 isn't quite enough, but by heck it was fun at Spurs, especially since we scored all of ours in about fifteen minutes and they included an overhead kick, a volley from the edge of the area and a thirty yard rocket.

• Like 1

On 21/03/2021 at 16:58, robby b said:

I don't think there has been one in my lifetime unless it was when I was a very young kid. Maybe it happened in the 1800s, or in the 1900s before the 80s. All I can think of is our amazing 3-3 against Sheffield United a few seasons ago but that wasn't the top flight anyway. It must be an amazing feeling to be 3-0 down and end up winning 4-3 and I'd love it (absolutely love it) if it finally happened one day !

I'm not aware of us coming back to win any game, after being three goals down. A couple of terrific comebacks were:

From 1-5 to draw 5-5 at Spurs in 1966 and we had a late chance to make it 6-5. We were also 2-0 down at White Heart Lane  in 1992 and came back to beat them 5-2 (I was lucky enough to be at that one and I did "absolutely love it";)). The nearest I can recall to us actually winning from 3-0 down came against Tranmere in the LCSF, when we were 3-0 down in the first leg and went on to win it over two legs, following penalties (I know that is stretching things a lot!:)).  

Edited by John
  • Like 2

Just watched the entire '57 FA Cup win vs Man United😁.Anyone else periodically go on youtube to watch classic highlights/matches?

Edited by Big Salad
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Big Salad said:

Just watched the entire '57 FA Cup win vs Man United😁.Anyone else periodically go on youtube to watch classic highlights/matches?

Yes, brings back some brilliant memories (I only watch the ones we win or at least draw;)). I find "Villa Boy" a very good source for our games on YouTube.  I've got the DVD of the 57 Final and a photograph of the team with the cup on my wall, must have been like Rotterdam 82 to those Villa fans that were at Wembley on the day.  

• Like 2

On 01/03/2021 at 14:52, John said:

Not at all (evidence bellow):D

Garratty Billy Image 2 Aston Villa 1905 - Vintage Footballers

I'm certainly getting the escape to Victory vibes again, that's twice in a few days now on this site.

Wonder who's tunneling under the Bath.

• Haha 1

VIlla 3 Man utd 1 Coca cola cup final. 1993-94

Still a wonderful game to watch..

I can't ever recall a noisier cup final!!

It's been going on now for about n hour n half now!!

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

VIlla 3 Man utd 1 Coca cola cup final. 1993-94

Still a wonderful game to watch..

That was a special final. The look on Dalian's face after he had scored and Dean Saunders at his predatory best, with his two (the second of which made the game safe). Like in 57 & 82, we started the game as unfancied underdogs, but we lifted the trophy on all three occasions, because we are Villa and that's what we do! :hooray: 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, John said:

That was a special final. The look on Dalian's face after he had scored and Dean Saunders at his predatory best, with his two (the second of which made the game safe). Like in 57 & 82, we started the game as unfancied underdogs, but we lifted the trophy on all three occasions, because we are Villa and that's what we do! :hooray: 

Always seems to be when everything's against us we triumph.

• Like 1

On 25/03/2021 at 14:02, Big Salad said:

Its a bit much for me but not many clips of the late great Duncan Edwards and this was a game where he didnt have much impact. 

Â