Aston Villa History Thread

VILLAMARV

our biggest ever PL win on this day in 1995...7-1 vs wimbledon. saw the highlights and the ground looked empty. looked it up - 23k attendance that day! it was saturday 3pm too. anyone know why crowds were so low around that time?

we also beat blues 2-0 on this day in 2018. it was the one where brucie got emotional when we scored having lost his dad not long before.

17 hours ago, tomav84 said:

our biggest ever PL win on this day in 1995...7-1 vs wimbledon. saw the highlights and the ground looked empty. looked it up - 23k attendance that day! it was saturday 3pm too. anyone know why crowds were so low around that time?

we also beat blues 2-0 on this day in 2018. it was the one where brucie got emotional when we scored having lost his dad not long before.

Think the holte was being built then, I think there was a small part of the lower tier open for that game

1 hour ago, Bazmonkey said:

Think the holte was being built then, I think there was a small part of the lower tier open for that game

even so, looking at the highlights there was a LOT of empty seats

spoke to a mate of mine who said that crowd trouble was still rife back then and it did keep a lot of folks away

13 hours ago, Bazmonkey said:

It was fully open by then.  The Upper Tier has been opened against Chelsea just after Christmas.  Ian Taylor scored his first goal. 

• Like 1

Wimbledon often seemed to attract worst crowd of the season. Hardly anyone travelled. And although we won that game convincingly and I think were on a decent run at that point, generally we were pretty awful that season and nearly got relegated

Attendances seemed to really recover post euro  96

1994-95 was the last time our average attendance was under 30,000. I seem to recall that Wimbledon game being on free to air telly too. 

After Euro 96, our average attendance leapt up by over 6,000 to 36,027.

I have a feeling that in a post Covid world there's going to be a real demand for people to get out and attend events - it's a pity Villa Park isn't bigger.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I seem to recall that Wimbledon game being on free to air telly too

I went to the game. Was it really on FTA telly? My recollection is that it wasn't - that it was just a Saturday 3pm ko. And was it the one where the ref (Elleray?) had to put on a Villa shirt at HT because his kit was the same as Wimbledon's and they hadn't brought their change kit with them?

26 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Your recollection is right. I think I've got it confused with us beating Everton 6-2 in 1989 because there were a lot of goals.

Ah, right. Thanks. Now that was a good performance.

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

What.a game this one was...

One of my favourite memories, I loved that team. So sad to think that two of them are no longer with us. 

Watching Bosnich’s penalty saves back now, I never noticed how poor the Tranmere spot kicks were. My memory was of Bosnich pulling off unbelievably world class saves. Strange how perception changes over time. 

• Like 1

On 13/02/2021 at 13:26, blandy said:

Ah, right. Thanks. Now that was a good performance.

Brilliant game.6-2I remember before the game started they were saying Neville Southall was the best goalkeeper in the world😂

Watched it with a few non Villa fans who were quite dismissive of Platt before the game and he ended up with a hatrick.

Taylor really created a great team.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

This was a superb game, the 2nd leg at Villa Park.

The come back, the penalty saves in the match and then the drama of the shoot out. Tranmere were 1 penalty away from going to Wembley...

Amazing memories!

• Like 2

On 13/02/2021 at 13:00, OutByEaster? said:

Your recollection is right. I think I've got it confused with us beating Everton 6-2 in 1989 because there were a lot of goals.

I've still got that game on video tape.   

20 hours ago, Only2McInallys said:

Brilliant game.6-2I remember before the game started they were saying Neville Southall was the best goalkeeper in the world😂

Watched it with a few non Villa fans who were quite dismissive of Platt before the game and he ended up with a hatrick.

Taylor really created a great team.

The game was billed as Platt v another Everton player (Newell?) who were similar players, and who would get into the England squad for Italia 90.  Obviously Platt was totally dominant and the rest as they say is history. 

I seem to recall Cowans was sublime in this game with a perfect throughball to Platt for one of the goals.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

What a game. Probably The Holte was as it's finest, utter bedlam. 

We really went into the match with a feeling that we'd already blown it, the excitement as the comeback unfolded was intense. 

That run by Atkinson, when he was on it he was a force of nature. He had the ability to be one of the greats if only he had the mentality. 

• Like 2

Â