Aston Villa History Thread

VILLAMARV

3 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

Just found this gem..

I was at this game. Stoney broke, mother in law pushed £10 in my hand and I was on my way. 20 years old, I didn’t think it could get any better, the following year it did 😁😁. I was at Rotterdam too, was stoney broke again, but that’s another story 😁

Edited by meregreen
  • Like 4

Best I've ever felt after an away defeat. "Win the League" as we said throughout the season. The Arsenal fans didn't take too well to us winning the league at Highbury, but frankly we didn't give a damn. :hooray:

• Like 2

Watched an old FA Cup match last night that my V Box had recorded. 

1983 v Watford, lovely 4 - 1 win. 

What was funny was the cometator saying that the FA cup was attracting large crowds and there were 34,000 inside Villa Park.  Bearing in mind Villa Park was 48,000 capacity at that time 34,000 was considered notable.  Shows how attendances have changed, I bet our league average was much lower than that. 

Got a little something in my eye looking at the old Holte End and Trinity Road. 

Anyway here are the U Tube highlights of the same.   Love the sway of the end terrace when Blissett has the early chance at the beginning. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

The other interesting thing was only 1 sub allowed. 

I can't believe it was as late as 1994 when 2 subs were allowed and 1995 for 3.

Thanks for the footage @sidcow. Love getting access to footage that was well before my time.

First thing that stuck out to me was how much Spink would have been smashed on here for how he handled Barnes free kick (3rd highlight).

To be fair to him he made two excellent saves though, the tip over the bar and the save from long range.  

12 hours ago, Hornso said:

First thing that stuck out to me was how much Spink would have been smashed on here for how he handled Barnes free kick (3rd highlight).

To be fair to him he made two excellent saves though, the tip over the bar and the save from long range.  

I doubt it. Nigel still had a fair bit of credit left in the bank, from his performance in the ECF at the end of the previous season. ;) It also didn't cost a goal and he made another two splendid saves, as you have said. 

Just our luck to draw Arsenal at Highbury in the QF's.  I really thought that we had a decent chance of winning the FA Cup that season. 

10 hours ago, John said:

I doubt it. Nigel still had a fair bit of credit left in the bank, from his performance in the ECF at the end of the previous season. ;) It also didn't cost a goal and he made another two splendid saves, as you have said. 

Just our luck to draw Arsenal at Highbury in the QF's.  I really thought that we had a decent chance of winning the FA Cup that season. 

Haha, I was aware of that particular achievement and perhaps calmer heads would have prevailed in the aftermath, but the match thread @John, the match thread! :P

That and I just think players are put under so much more scrutiny these days.

Would love to see more footage like this.

• Like 1

On 07/09/2020 at 12:45, meregreen said:

Not all those fans opposite were Arsenal. Firms from a few other London clubs turned up. Thankfully it didn’t spoil our party.

They all wanted a pop at the C Crew

My favourite game attending without doubt was this game as crazy as it may sound. The greatest ever line up from both sides at VP ever imo. Seeing some of my childhood legends playing was something I will never forget. As a giddi kid the game itself was almost irrelevant to me at the time as I was in a trance watching Platini, Rossi, Boniek, Tardelli(Geatest WC goal celebration of al time)..Come up against our own hero's. I think this is the  biggest game ever at Villa Park. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

One of my favourite Villa matches...

What a game!

I remember having us to win as the last result on an accumulator. The anger to pure joy in those couple of minutes I'll never forget.

Even remember the winnings, £136 💪

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

My favourite game attending without doubt was this game as crazy as it may sound. The greatest ever line up from both sides at VP ever imo. Seeing some of my childhood legends playing was something I will never forget. As a giddi kid the game itself was almost irrelevant to me at the time as I was in a trance watching Platini, Rossi, Boniek, Tardelli(Geatest WC goal celebration of al time)..Come up against our own hero's. I think this is the  biggest game ever at Villa Park. 

Juventus had an incredible line up.

My main memory is the way they kept the ball,I don’t think we touched the ball for the first 30 minutes.In the second half we played much better.

• Like 2

Manchester City could equal a long standing Aston Villa record on Monday night. If they beat Wolves at The Molineux, they will have won 10 consecutive opening league games in the top flight. The only team to have achieved that to date, is the mighty Aston Villa from season 1891/92 to 1900/01. 

The teams that were defeated on the opening days of those seasons were: Blackburn (h) 5-1, Burnley (a) 2-0, WBA (h) 3-2, Small Heath (h) 2-1, WBA (h) 1-0, Stoke (h) 2-1, Sheffield Wednesday (h) 5-2, Stoke (h) 3-1, Sunderland (a) 1-0 & Stoke (h) 2-0. The 1891/2 team that began that run is pictured below: 

1891-92 Villa Squad.jpg

• Like 2

On 31/08/2020 at 17:08, Brumstopdogs said:

Look at that pitch!

look at the determination and physical competency of Shaw, not to mention the sublime skills.....nice to see a centre half score with a header too.....those halcyon days....shame about the pitch....they wouldn't cope with that these days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In finding that photograph of the 1891/92 Villa team above, I came across some photographs of other HEITS, that I thought were well worth  including on this thread. The third shows Villa training in 1926/27 - with trainer Otto Herz and players, including Billy Walker (2nd from left): 

1913 FA Cup Final - Wikipedia  Football League 1913-14 | Villa in the 1910s | AVFChistory Otto Herz trains Aston Villa in 1926/7 #6160049 Framed Prints

• Like 3

Â