Aston Villa History Thread

VILLAMARV

I actually didnt know this till I looked it up, that's crazy taking on a rugby team and playing under rugby rules for a whole half:

In Aston Villa's first game after being formed in 1874, they agreed to play the first half (against a rugby team) following the rules of rugby, before being able to play the second half under the rules of football. Villa have gone on to achieve great success, winning the FA Cup and First Division on seven occasions each

On 22/09/2020 at 15:42, John said:

The game that they all played in was against Everton at Anfield on 4/1/1890. Archie Hunter (below) suffered a heart attack during the game and was taken to hospital. Sadly he never fully recovered and died at the age of 35. A sorrowful fact that I found during my search HEITS.

Apart from Clarkson, who didn't play against Everton. That picture had Hunter in his Sunday best, so wouldn't have played.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dave-R said:

I actually didnt know this till I looked it up, that's crazy taking on a rugby team and playing under rugby rules for a whole half:

In Aston Villa's first game after being formed in 1874, they agreed to play the first half (against a rugby team) following the rules of rugby, before being able to play the second half under the rules of football. Villa have gone on to achieve great success, winning the FA Cup and First Division on seven occasions each

some of our teams in the past would have fitted in well, with their shots on goal.

On 22/09/2020 at 13:39, VillaJ100 said:

Yep. We were basically the most successful club in the country for about 70 years.

would be nice to have that chart hanging on the wall somewhere, when we are trying to sign new players.....for them to have a gander.

how we are compared to Leeds who are in 20th place as opposed to our 5th is anyones guess.

• Like 1

On 21/09/2020 at 11:57, John said:

Interesting, can I ask what your source is for that? I had that picture and the one below, both noted as having been season 1891/92 myself:  

claret and blue | AN ASTON VILLA SCRAPBOOK

Aston Villa 1891-92 (left to right): Charlie Athersmith, George Campbell, Harry Devey, Walter Evans, John Devey, Jack Warner, Billy Dickson, James Cowan, Dennis Hodgetts, John Baird, Gershom Cox, Louis Campbell, John Graham.

that name never caught on, did it?

Wasn't sure whether to put this in the favourite pictures thread but thought this was as good a place as anywhere.

Picture of the front and back cover of the programme from 31st January 1976 v QPR

Great picture capturing some social history, fashion etc. Adidas, platforms, flares etc. Also a decent pic of the Trinity Road Stand.

Some great players in that team.

I wonder what this chap is up to these days?

I've been having a sort out of my old Villa stuff, so i'll pop some more stuff in here or the pictures thread over the coming days, weeks.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by imavillan
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/09/2020 at 22:33, Unused Sub said:

Its 100% true, Athersmith did use a brolly during a match against Sheffield United. It was reported in the Sheffield press. The weather was so bad Jack Devey walked off the pitch only to reappear a few minutes later wearing his coat. When I've got five minutes I'll fish out the match report.

Here's an extract of match report from 12/11/1894.

The full report is here:

https://imgur.com/4To2J1U

Sheffield Daily Telegraph - Tuesday 13 November 1894 - Copy.jpg

• Like 1

Nice article in the Express & Star (link below) in which Brian Little talks about the 76 win against Liverpool, following our destruction of the same team on Sunday. Such a pity that the cameras were at Derby to see their new signing Derek Hales that night and I believe at Walsall for an England youth game as well. Brian's recollection of the night has grown a little hazy (as is the case for some of us that were there, including our current boss, who got both the score and the year wrong, when interviewed on Sunday). Happily Brian does recall his goal, 

“I can still remember my goal. I think I only scored twice in my career from outside the box and that was one of them. The ball came to me on the edge of the box and I bent it left-footed into the top corner past Ray Clemence.” 

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/aston-villa/2020/10/08/matt-maher-aston-villas-7-2-night-a-reminder-of-glory-for-brian-little/

1 hour ago, John said:

Nice article in the Express & Star (link below) in which Brian Little talks about the 76 win against Liverpool, following our destruction of the same team on Sunday. Such a pity that the cameras were at Derby to see their new signing Derek Hales that night and I believe at Walsall for an England youth game as well. Brian's recollection of the night has grown a little hazy (as is the case for some of us that were there, including our current boss, who got both the score and the year wrong, when interviewed on Sunday). Happily Brian does recall his goal, 

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/aston-villa/2020/10/08/matt-maher-aston-villas-7-2-night-a-reminder-of-glory-for-brian-little/

Yep at the Witton end, i was right behind it. 🙂🙂

• Like 2

As it is black history month and this story is Villa Park history, hopefully it is in the right place. Mods, if not please move accordingly. 

From 1911-1947 British Boxing operated a colour bar. To fight for a British Championship, the boxer had to have two white parents. When the ban was lifted in 1948, a guy from Leamington Spa, named Dick Turpin who had a British Guyanese father and an Irish mother became the first Black British boxing champion at Villa Park in front of a 40,000 crowd. 

In 1951 his brother Randolph beat Sugar Ray Robinson becoming world middleweight champion. (Many consider Robinson to be the best pound for pound boxer of all time.)

E61EBE3D-B17C-4494-BB25-937700CB1B44.jpeg

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeMcKenna said:

As it is black history month and this story is Villa Park history, hopefully it is in the right place. Mods, if not please move accordingly. 

From 1911-1947 British Boxing operated a colour bar. To fight for a British Championship, the boxer had to have two white parents. When the ban was lifted in 1948, a guy from Leamington Spa, named Dick Turpin who had a British Guyanese father and an Irish mother became the first Black British boxing champion at Villa Park in front of a 40,000 crowd. 

In 1951 his brother Randolph beat Sugar Ray Robinson becoming world middleweight champion. (Many consider Robinson to be the best pound for pound boxer of all time.)

E61EBE3D-B17C-4494-BB25-937700CB1B44.jpeg

The ticket price was over a pound in 1948 to watch Dick Turpin. Daylight robbery if you ask me. 

Aston-Villa-VINCE-HAWKINS-v-DICK.jpg

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 4

Â