Aston Villa History Thread

VILLAMARV

23 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’ve been trying to get that as a ring tone for ages. 

Already told the wife that when I leave this mortal coil, assuming I go first I want this playing at my funeral. Hopefully not for a good while yet though

• Like 1

On 12/09/2020 at 10:33, Brumstopdogs said:

One of my favourite Villa matches...

What a game!

I watched this on TV, I stropped when Everton equalised, threw the remote at the TV, turned the TV off. I found out we'd won when I spoke to my Dad later on the phone, he didn't understand why I was in such a bad mood. I think I was in a worse mood when I found out what happened at the end, 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, John said:

Manchester City could equal a long standing Aston Villa record on Monday night. If they beat Wolves at The Molineux, they will have won 10 consecutive opening league games in the top flight. The only team to have achieved that to date, is the mighty Aston Villa from season 1891/92 to 1900/01. 

The teams that were defeated on the opening days of those seasons were: Blackburn (h) 5-1, Burnley (a) 2-0, WBA (h) 3-2, Small Heath (h) 2-1, WBA (h) 1-0, Stoke (h) 2-1, Sheffield Wednesday (h) 5-2, Stoke (h) 3-1, Sunderland (a) 1-0 & Stoke (h) 2-0. The 1891/2 team that began that run is pictured below: 

1891-92 Villa Squad.jpg

Ironic that we have therefore been denied the chance to defend our own record then. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Got one of these Alexa things at the weekend. I’ve just set Theme from an unmade silent movie as my alarm

by Norman "Hurricane " Smith......who was an sound engineer for the Beatles.....John Lennon used to call him " Normal"

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

On 07/09/2020 at 22:58, sidcow said:

The other interesting thing was only 1 sub allowed. 

I can't believe it was as late as 1994 when 2 subs were allowed and 1995 for 3.

It must have been earlier than 94 for 2 subs? Closer to 84 maybe?

28 minutes ago, Xela said:

It must have been earlier than 94 for 2 subs? Closer to 84 maybe?

It was changed to two in 1987, that was increased to three (to include a keeper) in 94/5 and in 95/6 (the three didn't have to include a keeper), I believe.  

• Like 1

On 19/09/2020 at 15:13, John said:

Manchester City could equal a long standing Aston Villa record on Monday night. If they beat Wolves at The Molineux, they will have won 10 consecutive opening league games in the top flight. The only team to have achieved that to date, is the mighty Aston Villa from season 1891/92 to 1900/01. 

The teams that were defeated on the opening days of those seasons were: Blackburn (h) 5-1, Burnley (a) 2-0, WBA (h) 3-2, Small Heath (h) 2-1, WBA (h) 1-0, Stoke (h) 2-1, Sheffield Wednesday (h) 5-2, Stoke (h) 3-1, Sunderland (a) 1-0 & Stoke (h) 2-0. The 1891/2 team that began that run is pictured below: 

1891-92 Villa Squad.jpg

Just for the record, this photo is from March/April 1890. Its either the Birmingham Senior Cup Final or Archie Hunter's testimonial.

On 19/09/2020 at 15:13, John said:

1891-92 Villa Squad.jpg

Victorian photographs always make me laugh with their stern looks.

I wonder who the first photographer was who said "SMILE" 

Ironically the stern look seems to have got back into fashion with the kidz. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Villarocker said:

Found this on Twitter today. One of our own went to tidy up Charlie Athersmith's grave. A Villa legend who won 5 league titles with us and died was before his time at just 38 years of age. Fair play to Fortress Villa Park for a wonderful tribute 👏👏

Once said to have played with a Umbrella in the rain. Who knows if that happened but when the legend becomes fact, print the legend. 

Â