Aston Villa History Thread

VILLAMARV

46 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

They put the short highlights up on Facebook, how did we not get battered about 4-1?  😄

Nigel Spink played a big part in that.  

I will never forget Breitner sitting in the centre circle after the game, not believing that they had lost! They think it's all over...it is now! :crylaugh:  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John said:

Nigel Spink played a big part in that.  

I will never forget Breitner sitting in the centre circle after the game, not believing that they had lost! They think it's all over...it is now! :crylaugh:  

Yes it looked like Spink played a blinder.  It looked like one of those matches you have on Football Manager where you turn it off in a huff and replay it thinking it was taking the piss.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Yes it looked like Spink played a blinder.  It looked like one of those matches you have on Football Manager where you turn it off in a huff and replay it thinking it was taking the piss.

His best ever game for us, in his most important game for us and having come off the bench as well! 

Having said that, we did score and they didn't! :hooray:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

They put the short highlights up on Facebook, how did we not get battered about 4-1?  😄

Lady luck and resillience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John said:

His best ever game for us, in his most important game for us and having come off the bench as well! 

Having said that, we did score and they didn't! :hooray:

Amazing what a clean sheet can do.

• Like 1

On 26/05/2020 at 10:38, sharkyvilla said:

Rummenigge the sore loser said we were the worst team to win the European Cup

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, John said:

Dieter Hoeness & Paul Breitner, don't seem happy bunnies after the game do they? :D

FC Bayern Munich in international football competitions - Wikipedia

Didn't Breitner have much longer hair, looks like Rummenigge

7 minutes ago, John said:

It is indeed. I had Breitner on my mind from my earlier post. :blush:

Breitner seems like a cool guy and a bit of a character, Rummenigge is a bit of a rocket polisher so the photo is perfect :D 

• Like 1

A question: why is there so many empty seats in the stadium? Did they not sell all seats for safety reasons? Or were we or Bayern not able to sell more tickets? Or something else?

To be fair I watched the whole game back a couple of years ago for the first time since I probably watched it on TV in 1982.

It wasn't as bad as I remembered.  Sure they had more / better chances but it wasn't a total smash and grab. I can see why brief highlights would be very one sided though. 

3 hours ago, AVTuco said:

A question: why is there so many empty seats in the stadium? Did they not sell all seats for safety reasons? Or were we or Bayern not able to sell more tickets? Or something else?

A mixture of segregation, UEFA guests not turning up and Bayern fans being complacent about beating us, perhaps? I know there wasn't a lot of space in the Villa end and that the Dutch were backing us on the night.😉

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, AVTuco said:

I think part of the reason was that crowds in general were down during that era due to violence at grounds. That semi final was stopped for 20 minutes! If that happened now the ramifications would be a great deal worse than playing 1 game behind closed doors.

It makes me laugh when I hear BBC pundits compare a joyous semi final cup victory pitch celebration with a return to the “dark days”. Especially when some of them were playing at the same stadium a few years later when a lot of people were killed and we were banned from Europe. Selective Scouse memory never fails to annoy me. 

Never the less during that time a lot of fans, particularly families, stayed away. I remember seeing a story that Dean told about his Dad not taking him to Rotterdam, probably for that reason. From what I recall, there wasn’t many young kids there on that glorious day. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, AVTuco said:

The dark days of the 80's for football attendance I think - despite winning being Champions and going on to win the European Cup that season our average attendance was only 26,700. Eleven teams in the First division had average attendances under 20,000 that year.  By 1985-86 our average was down to 15,218 and only three teams averaged more than 25,000. Hooliganism, heavy handed policing and crumbling stadiums meant football in general was in the doldrums in the 80's. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the comments. It's weird to watch clips from that time with so few fans in the stands. And that was the heyday of English club football!

Imagine going to VP with 15.000 people in it. Not fun.

Â