Aston Villa History Thread

VILLAMARV

On 29/02/2020 at 05:55, Robtaylor200 said:

Green sand any one ? I am sure we used loads of green sand on the pitch when it was very bad.

But I cant find anything to back up my memory 

Liverpool v Pompey FA Semi replay 92. Definitely loads of sand on VP that night

• Like 2

On 31/03/2020 at 20:26, Xela said:

Liverpool v Pompey FA Semi replay 92. Definitely loads of sand on VP that night

Thanks for that, I was definite that a semi at Villa Park was played on sand but every one I googled showed pictures of teams standing on lovely looking grass. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sidcow said:

Thanks for that, I was definite that a semi at Villa Park was played on sand but every one I googled showed pictures of teams standing on lovely looking grass. 

Man Utd v Chelsea in 96 was played on a crap pitch as well at VP

On 29/02/2020 at 05:55, Robtaylor200 said:

Green sand any one ? I am sure we used loads of green sand on the pitch when it was very bad.

But I cant find anything to back up my memory 

I do remember it. I don’t think it was green sand, but sand that was sprayed or coloured by us? Come be wrong on this though. Remember Doug Ellis saying it was the best option for us until a new pitch could be laid. Around 91, 92 or 93 time I think?

I definitely went to see us play Sheffield Wednesday at home and Les Sealey was in goal for us at the time (so not sure on dates?).  Anyway, Les come out to do his pre match warm up and was laughing, shaking his head at the state of the pitch. It was really bad. Again, I could be wrong, but I think we played the game with an orange ball. 

• Like 1

On 31/03/2020 at 08:20, Mr.Messy said:

Aston Villa bossing the football league for nearly a century. (sorry dont know how to embed twitter posts)

Typical Villa. Even in the all time league table we just miss out on a spot in the all time Champion's League.

14 hours ago, Hornso said:

Typical Villa. Even in the all time league table we just miss out on a spot in the all time Champion's League.

very interesting piece.

just about 10 years ago when it all started to slip.....but its clear to see over the full period, why we have the name we have.

Edited by TRO

22 hours ago, TRO said:

very interesting piece.

just about 10 years ago when it all started to slip.....but its clear to see over the full period, why we have the name we have.

We were basically statistically the best team in the country's history for about 70 years. 

• Like 1

Just now, VillaJ100 said:

We were basically statistically the best team in the country's history for about 70 years. 

Yep.

even more reason why we should be able to look back and see what we did right, then.

Sure the game has changed in many ways, but many of the principles the game was built on, still remain.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That photo makes me reminisce of the standard we should be seeking.

Kenny Swain.......now thats a full back.

Dennis Mortimer.....now thats a midfielder.

Allan Evans.....now thats a centre Back.

The thing is though.....they were made at Bodymoor Heath.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Too right!

Off picture: Gary Shaw now that's a forward, Tony Morley now that's a winger...we could go on and on....:hooray: 

• Like 2

On 04/04/2020 at 14:01, TRO said:

Sure the game has changed in many ways, but many of the principles the game was built on, still remain.

I don't think they do. I'm not saying this to have an argument, I just think it's changed enormously. I mean teamwork (play for each other, help your mate) and hard work (give your all) are the same. Beyond that, I'm less sure. It's less individual skill based - winger takes on full back, crosses for big centre forward and more pass and move, one and two touch, triangles, high press, much less physical in terms of fouling, challenging goalkeepers and so on.Yet it's much more physical in terms of the strength and fitness and power. It's more about pace, the formations are different, the ball is different, the kit, the keeper's gloves, the sports science, the substitutions, the video analysis, the laws even have changed. The managers have to be qualified, the medical side is a light year away. The way players are managed is completely different. I could go on.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, blandy said:

I don't think they do. I'm not saying this to have an argument, I just think it's changed enormously. I mean teamwork (play for each other, help your mate) and hard work (give your all) are the same. Beyond that, I'm less sure. It's less individual skill based - winger takes on full back, crosses for big centre forward and more pass and move, one and two touch, triangles, high press, much less physical in terms of fouling, challenging goalkeepers and so on.Yet it's much more physical in terms of the strength and fitness and power. It's more about pace, the formations are different, the ball is different, the kit, the keeper's gloves, the sports science, the substitutions, the video analysis, the laws even have changed. The managers have to be qualified, the medical side is a light year away. The way players are managed is completely different. I could go on.

Probably the most important things of all.

I think it depends on what context we are talking, Pete.....you have already mentioned such a lot thats the same.

• The pitch is much the same size
  • The goals are the same size
  • There are still 11 players in a team
  • You still have to fight for what you get.( Attitude)
  • Managers motivation is much the same.
  • Winners approach the game much the same.

Apart form the merchandise, which you would expect to change and players wages, the attitude to those who do well is much the same through the years.

my point was, while there are loads of things different.....The real things that matter, the main principles are still much the same.

Edited by TRO

11 hours ago, TRO said:

I think it depends on what context we are talking, Pete..

I took your context to be looking back for clues as to what worked back when we were really successful

On 04/04/2020 at 14:01, TRO said:

we should be able to look back and see what we did right...many of the principles the game was built on, still remain

So less about laws regarding size of pitch or men in the team or goal size, and I kind of think nearly everything else has evolved or just changed totally and next to nothing is the same, to the extent that looking back offers few useful clues. But I do agree that the few useful clues it does offer are key (and it’s also a warm thing to do). My outlook would be more about looking at what works now at successful clubs, and how or if we can adapt or adopt that to our circumstances.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TRO said:

The thing is though.....they were made at Bodymoor Heath.

They certainly weren't products of our youth system. Which is the inference I take from the Bodymoor Heath line. Swain, came from Chelsea, Mortimer, from Coventry and Evan's, from Dunfermline, who, by the way, originally came down as a centre- forward. 

I'm sure that's the standard we would love to achieve. The manager has had time to assess where the mistakes were made, let's hope he can rectify those mistakes. 

2 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

They certainly weren't products of our youth system. Which is the inference I take from the Bodymoor Heath line. Swain, came from Chelsea, Mortimer, from Coventry and Evan's, from Dunfermline, who, by the way, originally came down as a centre- forward. 

I'm sure that's the standard we would love to achieve. The manager has had time to assess where the mistakes were made, let's hope he can rectify those mistakes. 

No my point was......They improved beyond recognition, after joining us...maybe i didn't explain myself well enough.

Swain was a winger......Evans had played up front on occasions before joining us. mortimer was an England Under 23, still developing.....they were nothing really special when we bought them, we made them special was my point.

We made them better at BMH.

Lets hope he can.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

I remember reading in the Evening Mail on the way home from work that we had signed Dennis Mortimer. The news made my Christmas! What a debut against West Ham on Boxing Day too. He played a big part in our 4-1 win in front of 51,300 at Villa Park. 

• Like 2

Aye, was also there on Boxing Day for his debut.......what a game and what a great career in the claret and blue.  

Andy Gray there by then from Dundee United , I had to wait till the following year for Alex Cropley to join having moved to Arsenal from Hibs and then the end of the decade Des Bremner ......great times

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Â