Game of the Year 2016

hogso

Following the obligitory Music/Film threads in OT, I figure it's time for G&G to have it's own. There's usually one, right?

My picks would be;

Firewatch
Virginia
Overcooked
Dragon Quest Builders
World of Final Fantasy
Inside
I Am Setsuna
That Dragon, Cancer

With my personal GOTY being - Zero Time Dilemma

Wow.. a topic I can't post in with any constructive response! I actually don't think I've played a game that has been released in 2016...

Fallout 4, Batman: Arkham Knight (Asylum and City remasters), Borderlands 2, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Shadow of Mordor, Madden 16, Final Fantasy X/X-2 remaster...

I'm both impressed and saddened.

battlefield 1 for me

obligatory shout outs for overwatch, uncharted 4, pro evo with a triumphant return, i played tomb raider on the xbone this year so i'll cheat and throw the ps4 version in :P

id say more than anything else its the year that i didnt actually get round to playing most of the stuff i wanted to, ive had quantum break sat in a draw for 4 months i think, also yet to play last guardian, gears of war 4, division, watch dogs 2, mafia 3, FF15, deus ex, unravel, abzu, inside, the witcher expansions, far cry primal, forza, firewatch, titanfall 2, dishonoured

• Like 1

Thought I'd have a little fun with this one.. The Daweii Video Game Awards 2016!!! :D

The "This Soundtrack Has A Game?!?!" Award goes to... Furi 

Furi was one of the best boss rush games of the year, but I'm not here to congratulate it's tight and flawless gameplay, oh no, I am giving this game the award for the best soundtrack of 2016. This game truly delivered a soundtrack fitting of the fast and frenetic action happening on the screen. 

The "Best Game To Get Shit On By Overwatch" Award goes to... Battleborn 

The game no one played yet likely should and would have enjoyed. Battleborn was an arena based character driven action shooter. It had a campaign, but it's meat was the multiplayer. It's fate was sealed just 2 weeks later when a similar game, you may have heard of it called Overwatch came out. 

The "Pew Pew Demon's Go Boom" Award goes to... DOOM

DOOM likely could have won my game of the year this year. DOOM was the reboot the series needed and deserved. It summed up for so many people just why they play games in the first place. This game wasn't serious it was gameplay on top of gameplay on top of gameplay. In an industry dead set on being like Hollywood this was trying to go back to 1994 again. One of the greatest games of 2016.

The "Not Harvest Moon" Award goes to... Stardew Valley

This game is probably the most peaceful and carefree games released in 2016. It was the handywork of one man Eric Barone and he delivered one of the best games of 2016. There isn't much to this write up because there isn't much to this game. It's very laid back and chill, you farm and stuff.

The "Was Shit, But Shit No-Longer" Award goes to... Tom Clancy's: The Division

The Division... The hot-hotness in gaming for a few days in February which soon turned sour as all the content dried up. Though it has been eight long months since then and the game is now rather good and definitely worthy of praise. UbiSoft Massive could have abandoned the game as they made their money, but they fixed it and continue to fix it. I think that deserves some praise.

The "Boyband Of The Year" Award goes to... Final Fantasy XV

This game is polarising. It doesn't have much in the way of a story. It doesn't have much in the way of a great game world either, but no game this year has held my attention as much as this one. Lots of that is down to the main characters. You grow attached to them on your extensive roadtrip and while they are annoying at times, it's a great character driven game.

The "He's Got An Axe!! RUN!!" Award goes to... Dark Souls 3

Yes, Dark Souls 3 was one of the best games of 2016. It's DLC was a bit of let down, but the main game was polished and really well done. Dark Souls offers something very few games do and that is a real sense of urgency and fear. When you have an enemy that can kill you in a couple of hits charging you down it leaves memories you'll never forget. 

The "Game Of The Year 2016" Award goes to... Overwatch

Overwatch nailed it. It was the most polished and most addictive online arena shooter of 2016. It is a game that whether you love shooters or not you'll likely dig this game. The characters and the animations are just so good, everything about Overwatch is polished and refined in a way many other games just aren't. This to me had to be my game of the year.

• Like 2

Really poor year for me.  I'd probably go XCOM 2, Dark Souls III and Witcher 3 Blood & Wine but even those don't feel like real GoTY contenders compared to previous years. A few indie games I've played have really struggled to feel original and interesting too. 

Edited by nobler

Overwatch, I hate competitive multiplayer shooters and yet I love it.

Dark Souls 3

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Dishonored 2

Final Fantasy XV

Gears of War 4

Recore

Quantum Break

Forza Horizon 3 without doubt.

Stunning graphics, fantastic varied gameplay, beautiful locations and finely tuned and polished. One of the finest driving games ever made. 

Notable mentions:

Deus Ex MD

Hitman

Â