Last of Us Part 2

hogso

I kind of wish they had left this story and did something else with the world, but I'm sure this'll be great regardless. 

The inevitable clash between Ellie and Joel should be worth it at the very least. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Designer1 said:

I'm very much in the minority but the first one didn't click with me at all.

I really didn't enjoy it at all.  Piss poor game play a la the Uncharted series.

Had a great time with the first one, excellent characters and a compelling story. A story though with a very nice conclusion that this sequel has now undone to an extent.

Can't help but feel a bit a disappointed that we are revisiting these characters and also as I was quite looking forward to seeing something new from Naughty Dog this time round.

I thought the gameplay was generally good, but what I didn't rate was the easiness of clearing an area. 

Once you'd kill all the baddies in an area, that was it. You could walk round freely. I thought it would give a much greater sense of dread if there was always a chance a baddie could wander in on you

• Like 1

On 12/5/2016 at 18:05, Stevo985 said:

I thought the gameplay was generally good, but what I didn't rate was the easiness of clearing an area. 

Once you'd kill all the baddies in an area, that was it. You could walk round freely. I thought it would give a much greater sense of dread if there was always a chance a baddie could wander in on you

Did you try it on Grounded (unlocked after completed once)? - different game. So intense. (Areas still cleared once cleared though)

Definitely getting part 2, one of the best games ever

• 10 months later...

The new (Ellie and Joel-less) trailer has garnered some controversy for being pretty much nothing but context-less violence. Pretty gruesome violence at that.

The game is based around the theme of hate, whereas the first game was based around loss. The trailer does a good job of demonstrating that, and raises some interesting questions in regards to the story...but it is awful dark. 

I'll spoiler the below, as it's only a theory as to who the woman in the trailer is, but it's a popular one, and has a lot of legs I think 

Spoiler

The woman being attacked and escaping from the 'cult' is Anna, Ellie's mother. Naturally this leads one to assume that a major point of the story is the confrontation between Joel and Anna, which could lead to Ellie learning of Joel's lies, and then...well, who knows. If the story goes that way I'd be happy to see the outcome. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, hogso said:

The new (Ellie and Joel-less) trailer has garnered some controversy for being pretty much nothing but context-less violence. Pretty gruesome violence at that.

I think the controversy is more due to where it was shown and not the actual content, it's the same controversy David Cage is getting for his child abuse filled trailer for Detroit: Become Human.

The issue seems to be that the conference aired pre-watershed in almost every region, it was midday in the US when that conference aired and that makes a huge difference when showing off boundary pushing games. Also it didn't help that the pacing of the show was all off. Spider-Man lead straight into Detroit: Become Human which was touching on a distressing topic like child abuse. Why do you follow up the likely 12+ rated game with a game pushing for a hard 18+ rating? That just doesn't make sense and it made the content within Detroit all the more shocking. 

This also happened with The Last of Us: Part II. The game that lead into it was the rather docile fan favourite Shadow of the Colossus, another 12+ rated game being followed up by a game pushing for possibly an even harder 18+ rating than Detroit. Now the content in The Last of Us: Part II was extreme, but nothing makes something look more extreme than following up a tame fantasy game. I adore that games are pushing the boundaries of interactive media, but I do think Sony needed to do more to either segregate the 18+ games, or specify what people were about to see. Sony littered 18+ games throughout the show and it doesn't surprise me that people were somewhat annoyed. I heard counts of parents covering their children's eyes as they watched a conference at 4pm UK time, or 11am Pacific US time and that's not great and it certainly hasn't done gaming many favours. 

As for the trailer itself I think it has done as good a job as a cutscene taken likely 4 hours in to the game could do. Yes we are lacking a lot of context and that didn't help the trailers cause, but the brutality seemed justified going solely off the universe Naughty Dog crafted with the first. I just think that it was likely a bit too violent for a conference going out in the middle of the afternoon, but I think that is solely where the controversy lies not with the actual content of the trailer. What I will say though is that content and controversy aside I am amazed that Naughty Dog have continued to push the boundaries of graphics. A 5 year old PS4 should not be doing what Naughty Dog are getting it to do, but somehow they continue to push the limits of the console it's insane. 

Edited by Daweii
Typo
  • Like 1

The trailer is just... grim. There's nothing wrong with a grim trailer, I'm down for violence, but I dunno... A trailer that is literally just grim from it's cold open through its 3 minute running time is kinda... crap.

• Like 1

I agree. If it was the exact same trailer, but with one of the 'rescuers' asking the woman's name and then she says the name of the person most of us think she is, that'd be fine. It'd be great, even, as we'd all be discussing the things I alluded to in the spoiler above. But without that, and without anything else at all really, it just isn't very good. Regardless of it's placement in the show and/or the violence on display.

Â