Last of Us Part 2

hogso

15 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Skillup a reviewer i respect a lot said it was a bit of a mess with a poor story and not very likable characters 

About 8 mins in he admits that he didn't like the 1st game, renders his review pretty pointless for me

13 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

About 8 mins in he admits that he didn't like the 1st game, renders his review pretty pointless for me

The story has been fully leaked and i don't like it. The story and characters is what made me finish the first game, game play was kinda meh to me, it was alright. But i thought the AI was pretty bad.

Obviously not gonna spoil it in here. But i hear they let go of their main writer pre production of this game.

We'll just have to see how it turns out.

Reviews I've read don't put me off in the slightest, seems to be very much a case of if you liked the first, you'll like this - although a general criticism is it's too long. 

The driving force of the narrative - being Ellie driven by rage to kill relentlessly, but you as the player getting to know those you then must dispatch - is an inspired one for me, and I look forward to playing it through at some point. 

• Like 1

I'm ignoring almost all of the reviews for this game because most of them aren't reviewing the game, they're merely putting a score on the hype. 

I fully expect Last of Us: Part 2 to be good, but 10/10 levels of good? I doubt it and I imagine if it wasn't a Naughty Dog game with the marketing budget of Sony then very few would consider this to be a 10/10 either.

I could see this being a 10/10 for some people. It has the obvious polish and high end graphics, the narrative seems like it's pretty well done again and the gameplay looks sound. It has that air of a crown jewel title - no expense spared hurl cash and time at it stuff. Like a lot of Sony's stuff this gen. Even the weaker stuff they've done this gen is high calibre - Days Gone isn't a masterpiece but they'd clearly gone to town on it anyway.

It's not going to be a 10/10 for me, when I get round to it, because I don't love the gameplay of the first and this seems like an expanded version of that, and because it's so unrelentingly bleak I'm not going to get on board with it fully - it's like playing depression from the preview footage. But I'm sure it's a very good game and for the right people, it probably is a masterpiece. 

11 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Never played the first, so just installed the remaster that i got during one of the psplus months

am I in for a treat?

Yes

But it's not the guaranteed stone cold killer that it's made out to be, its an opinion splitter with more than a fair share who don't like it, the gameplay isn't groundbreaking or at times even that good... But for me the story is incredible, best in any game I've ever played type incredible and that's enough to paper over the cracks and make it a stunning game 

Thats why I don't trust the negative opinion surrounding the leaks or the reviews for number 2, sounds like it goes off in a direction fans don't want so they've automatically written it off or they didn't like number 1 so don't like number 2 either, neither of them are a problem for me 

4 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Never played the first, so just installed the remaster that i got during one of the psplus months

am I in for a treat?

No.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

am I in for a treat?

It really depends entirely on how much you like Naughty Dog games and how much the story does for you. 

I really like ND games, and thought the story is easily one of the best told in any video game. 

As such, if was certainly one of my favourite games of that console generation. All the changes to the gameplay and the world in the second only seem to have made it better, as one complaint generally of ND is that the games are too linear. The new game isn't quite open world, not a hub either, it's somewhere in between. 

FWIW, I'm about 15 hours in and I think it's phenomenal. There are parts where I haven't felt as emotional in a game before. Whether or not you're a fan of the story itself, the way that it's told is sublime.

• Like 2

On 21/06/2020 at 09:08, hogso said:

It really depends entirely on how much you like Naughty Dog games and how much the story does for you. 

I really like ND games, and thought the story is easily one of the best told in any video game. 

As such, if was certainly one of my favourite games of that console generation. All the changes to the gameplay and the world in the second only seem to have made it better, as one complaint generally of ND is that the games are too linear. The new game isn't quite open world, not a hub either, it's somewhere in between. 

Don't think I've ever played a ND game before.

1 minute ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

😳

you should, uncharted and TLoU are both excellent, jak and daxter was a great series too that im really surprised they've never even revisited with a PS4 remaster let alone continued the series, im not a crash bandicoot fan though, never was

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

😳

you should, uncharted and TLoU are both excellent, jak and daxter was a great series too that im really surprised they've never even revisited with a PS4 remaster let alone continued the series, im not a crash bandicoot fan though, never was

I thought Jak and Daxter was on PS4?

38 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Huh. In short, they're story driven, action adventures, which tend to be a bit light and linear in the gameplay stakes. 

Â