Last of Us Part 2

hogso

11 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

Finished replaying the first one on Sunday. Going to start a 2nd play through of this one at the weekend.

Naughty Dog are my favourite game studio based on the Uncharted series and TLOU series.

Did you do the DLC? 

Its good, definitley worth a play

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Did you do the DLC? 

Its good, definitley worth a play

Yeah, tried to play the DLC where it sat chronologically in the overall story. Slightly different to the main game but still enjoyable.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just finished playing TLOU2.

What an amazing game 10/10.   

That story is better than a lot of big budget films!  Absolutely hated Abby… and then grew to love her more than Ellie.

Easily the best game I’ve played on the PS4 and on par with the best game I played on the PS3 (Uncharted 2).

Edited by ender4
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, ender4 said:

Just finished playing TLOU2.

What an amazing game 10/10.   

That story is better than a lot of big budget films!  Absolutely hated Abby… and then grew to love her more than Ellie.

Easily the best game I’ve played on the PS4 and on par with the best game I played on the PS3 (Uncharted 2).

I agree. It is such a good game. I wouldnt claim i grew to love Abby nowhere near as much as i like Ellie,but i can go as far as to say i stopped hating her as the game progressed :)

Some of the best,most intence parts of the game was with Abby,and that helped a lot. Defeating The Ratking,etc. I think this is a game i will play over,and over. The original TLOU i think i have finished ca ten times.

• Like 2

Been slowly playing this over the last couple of months, on and off, and finished it tonight.

It's a fantastic game, that I don't love. The presentation is first class - incredible graphics, animation, sound and voice performances, first rate. The gameplay, I'm not sure what else they can do in this type of fame. Fundamentally it's quite simple, but the feel and the mechanics are spot on.

The problems it has, that hold me off from loving it, are predominantly 2 fold. Firstly, it's got a quite simple story that it thinks is more profound than it is, which is exacerbated by, the entirely necessary, plot structure it has. Effectively you have 2 stories intertwined, but they're the same story. Which the game wants to ram home to you. Which is a bit annoying, the whole thing has that air of looking at itself saying 'look how clever we are, look how we've made you think' when what it's doing isn't profound. It's like someone coming up to you with their dog and saying 'look at this, its great' before making the dog sit on command, and expecting you to be blown away by it.

Secondly, it's extremely indulgent. It effectively finishes twice, has numerous sections that feel slightly too long and has a few too many sections where you have enforced characterisation sections that don't really achieve much because you don't care about these characters you're being forced to listen prattle on while the art department tosses itself off with the next brilliant environment they've conjured.

But... It's pretty bloody good despite that.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Chindie said:

Firstly, it's got a quite simple story that it thinks is more profound than it is, which is exacerbated by, the entirely necessary, plot structure it has.

This is it for me. I loved the game but I think they somewhat sent themselves down a cul-de-sac with the story they chose to tell and the way they chose to tell it, which resulted in some pacing issues and awkward clunky segments where I found myself thinking 'this isn't how I would've done this, but I'm not sure how else they could've done it'. It's still so good though, they nailed so many aspects of this game, it just doesn't quite hit like it could have.

• 10 months later...

im playing part 1, put maybe 4 hours in to it, im in bills town

as per the argument that took place when it was announced its hard to say what this game is, its not a remaster, it has been remade using the engine from part 2 but at the same time from what i can remember playing it for the first time in about 5 years its the same game, i dont want to say theres none but theres not as many part 2 mechanics as i would like

its a great game, its a series that i love, the story is as good as any in any game ever IMO it looks great, it does everything that the games have done before, the good stuff and the bad, i still think its a game of big arenas in which they try to build tension but then undo it all by having the supporting character tell you when you've killed everything and it encourages exploration but doesnt really reward it thats why from memory bills town is my favourite part of the game, there's nothing here to change the mind of someone who doesnt like the series

would say its not a £70 game, it got released at a time where i wasnt playing much so i bit but you'd be better off waiting a year to see if the price drops or this goes on PSN+

19 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

im playing part 1, put maybe 4 hours in to it, im in bills town

as per the argument that took place when it was announced its hard to say what this game is, its not a remaster, it has been remade using the engine from part 2 but at the same time from what i can remember playing it for the first time in about 5 years its the same game, i dont want to say theres none but theres not as many part 2 mechanics as i would like

its a great game, its a series that i love, the story is as good as any in any game ever IMO it looks great, it does everything that the games have done before, the good stuff and the bad, i still think its a game of big arenas in which they try to build tension but then undo it all by having the supporting character tell you when you've killed everything and it encourages exploration but doesnt really reward it thats why from memory bills town is my favourite part of the game, there's nothing here to change the mind of someone who doesnt like the series

would say its not a £70 game, it got released at a time where i wasnt playing much so i bit but you'd be better off waiting a year to see if the price drops or this goes on PSN+

Is the story word for word the same?

9 hours ago, ender4 said:

Is the story word for word the same?

It's the first game, but built on some of the second's mechanics and using the PS5's power to bump up the graphics. YMMV as to whether it ultimately looks better than the first remaster of it on PS4. In some ways it looks massively better, in others... not so much IMO. It should play better but there's nothing new storywise.

I did bills town and the hotel yesterday, its not horizon 2 but I was impressed by how lived in the world looked, I don't know if they've added more detailing and little bits to the furniture and clutter maybe in the city there's some more overgrowth and better detailing on it, did see at one point early on the walls of the quarantine zone off in the distance and all the high rise blocks with their lights on as a skyline while I was out in the open climbing up a derelict tower block and thought that was coll

Again it's not horizon 2, it looks and feels like part 2 which was a ps4 game, a very good ps4 game... But it's not a huge leap and has you screaming about the power of the ps5, theres some good stuff but honestly I don't know if some of it is just me not spotting these things before 

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the main game, I love it, it is in the conversation for best game ever, definitley the best story

Of course I'm now contemplating a platinum but it looks like there's not many fun ones there's just a lot of collectable ones

There's so much for the TV show to go at I don't know how it could fail

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Finished the main game, I love it, it is in the conversation for best game ever, definitley the best story

Of course I'm now contemplating a platinum but it looks like there's not many fun ones there's just a lot of collectable ones

There's so much for the TV show to go at I don't know how it could fail

Same.

I've just finished the remake of Part 1 and now moved on to Part 2.

Both amazing games and can't wait for Part 3 which is supposedly in the works.

22 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Both amazing games and can't wait for Part 3 which is supposedly in the works.

was thinking about it yesterday, for me it doesn't need to be made but i won't complain when it is, bit like the online game

with that in mind i dont think they need to focus on ellie as a follow on from 2, they could do a prequel game with Tommy and Marlene exploring some of the things that are touched on in part 1, do a firefly game more like a part 0

• Like 2

Last I heard which was only a few months ago is that they have a script outline for Part 3, but full production hasn't started on it yet. 

Naughty Dog have a couple projects in the works right now. One is the live service multiplayer Last of Us game, which is planned for PS5 and PC, while the other project that is in full production is rumoured to have a fantasy setting, but nothing more is known aside from that. 

Naughty Dog have been expanding a lot over the last 12 months though so full production on Last of Us: Part 3 could potentially happen at any time. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Daweii said:

Last I heard which was only a few months ago is that they have a script outline for Part 3, but full production hasn't started on it yet. 

Naughty Dog have a couple projects in the works right now. One is the live service multiplayer Last of Us game, which is planned for PS5 and PC, while the other project that is in full production is rumoured to have a fantasy setting, but nothing more is known aside from that. 

Naughty Dog have been expanding a lot over the last 12 months though so full production on Last of Us: Part 3 could potentially happen at any time. 

and when they say nathan drake is retired they mean it?

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

and when they say nathan drake is retired they mean it?

Uncharted is a massive unknown. There were rumours a couple years ago that an Uncharted project had been outsourced to an unnamed studio, and if that winds up being true it's unknown if it'll be a Nathan Drake game. Given the events of The Lost Legacy, I think my money is on Uncharted 5 (if it happens) having Chloe Frazer as the main character. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I'd probably agree with the latter. There are stories in games I like better but the issue versus LoU1 is that they're either too convoluted (Xenogears, Metal Gear Solid, Persona 3), or it's the way the story is told that makes it so good (Gone Home, Edith Finch, Undertale). 

The only other games that come to mind for me excluding those two factors are Life is Strange 1 and Dragon Age Origins. 

• Like 1

Â