Last of Us Part 2

hogso

I’m around 2 1/2 hrs in. Holy **** this is a bit good.

As I’ve managed to stay spoiler free I didn’t see THAT coming!

I only recently played TLOU 1 having completely missed it when it first came out, I thought it was brilliant, game play wasn't anything ground breaking but the look of the game, the characters, the voice acting, the story were all fantastic.

I don't have any interest in TLOU 2 just because I don't think it needed a sequel, I'll probably pick it up in a year or two when I can get it for £15 or something, plus I don't feel like I need to scratch that itch just yet with TLOU 1 so fresh in my mind.

• 1 month later...

Finally finished it today. In simple terms, not as good a story as the first game, some incredible gameplay set pieces, which really pleasingly, got better and better the longer you played, regardless of the character. 

Some survival horror stuff in there that would make actual survival horror games (is this?!) a bit embarrassed, and the polish is quite literally second to none. 

Oh, and was anyone else waiting for the 'Ellie can pass on immunity via kiss or bite' storyline to kick in at the end? I was waiting for it, but it never happened...DLC or sequel fodder? Similarly to the first game, I hope not. 

Edited by hogso

After my initial excitement, I found myself getting a little bored and felt it was a tad too long.

The story was ok, not as good as the first. I’m not sure why so many people got their knickers in a twist about the violence and some of the characters. People are strange. 

Finished this at the weekend. Loved it. Can understand why some people don't like the pacing, but it didn't bother me as the gameplay was excellent.

Given the time between this and the first game the developers deserve credit for keeping a lot of what made the original so brilliant.

• 3 weeks later...

Finished this today.   Got to be honest,  as good as it was I felt it dragged on a bit at the end.  Seeing the story from 2 sides was interesting but I don't think I'll be replaying it.

I didn't even consider the plat, trophies such as find all the coins, playing cards, journal entries etc do nothing for me as I just end up playing the game whilst watching youtube and I cant be bothered

im sure I also had some issues with the conversations with other characters, the triangle icon came up whilst im scavenging but I picked say a bottle rather than talking to them and then lost the conversation icon, happened more than once, was a bit weird

19 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I’ve just picked this up. Only put about an hour in so far but it’s as good as I remember the first one being. 

Started the game last night as well. Probably at the same point as you and I'm enjoying it so far.

Most I've looked forward to a game since RDR2, hopefully this is better.

39 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Started the game last night as well. Probably at the same point as you and I'm enjoying it so far.

Most I've looked forward to a game since RDR2, hopefully this is better.

Ha same. I played RDR2 for a few hours and then never went back to it. Found it very very boring.

Hopefully this isn't the same!

• 2 months later...

Finished it in typically slow fashion for me!

I'm really surprised by the stick the story got when this first came out. For me it's the best story in any game I've ever played to be honest. It is very dark and had some genuine shocking moments that were brilliant

Spoiler

Ellie killing Mel and then realising she was pregnant was a big one!

Gameplay carries on from the first and is superb again. At first I hated the flashbacks and playing as Abby but it slowly grows and grows on you and all comes together in the end brilliantly.

My only criticisms are the same as the first game. Too easy to know when an area is cleared. It's useful, but takes the tension away for me. You shoot a few baddies and you or your partner says "All done" or "That's all of them" and you know you're free to walk around. It would be far scarier and more tense if you weren't sure when you'd cleared an area, but would probably make it far slower. I also found it much much harder to do things stealthily in this game. In the first game most areas I could clear without alerting anyone. This game nearly every time I ended up alerting people of my presence. Which is fine, I guess, but I like the stealth element.
It was also quite slow to begin with which felt like a bit of a slog and very cut scene heavy. But it soon finds its flow.

Superb game!

Oh and as for exploration, I consider myself pretty **** thorough in terms of exploring. I basically try and explore every nook and cranny. The only thing I know I miss is one safe in the game because I accidentally advanced past a bit I couldn't go back on, and hadn't got a save before that. But I'm no where near to unlocking all my abilities and upgrading all my weapons. But there are trophies for that so I know it's possible. Am I being dumb? I could understand if I was like one upgrade or one ability away, but I had a fair few for both Ellie and Abby

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Finished it in typically slow fashion for me!

I'm really surprised by the stick the story got when this first came out. For me it's the best story in any game I've ever played to be honest. It is very dark and had some genuine shocking moments that were brilliant

Hide contents

Ellie killing Mel and then realising she was pregnant was a big one!

Gameplay carries on from the first and is superb again. At first I hated the flashbacks and playing as Abby but it slowly grows and grows on you and all comes together in the end brilliantly.

My only criticisms are the same as the first game. Too easy to know when an area is cleared. It's useful, but takes the tension away for me. You shoot a few baddies and you or your partner says "All done" or "That's all of them" and you know you're free to walk around. It would be far scarier and more tense if you weren't sure when you'd cleared an area, but would probably make it far slower. I also found it much much harder to do things stealthily in this game. In the first game most areas I could clear without alerting anyone. This game nearly every time I ended up alerting people of my presence. Which is fine, I guess, but I like the stealth element.
It was also quite slow to begin with which felt like a bit of a slog and very cut scene heavy. But it soon finds its flow.

Superb game!

Oh and as for exploration, I consider myself pretty **** thorough in terms of exploring. I basically try and explore every nook and cranny. The only thing I know I miss is one safe in the game because I accidentally advanced past a bit I couldn't go back on, and hadn't got a save before that. But I'm no where near to unlocking all my abilities and upgrading all my weapons. But there are trophies for that so I know it's possible. Am I being dumb? I could understand if I was like one upgrade or one ability away, but I had a fair few for both Ellie and Abby

You can play through individual chapters if you know where that safe is and wanna go back for it.

As for the supplements/weapon parts I can only assume you've missed them as I'm pretty sure they're all fixed drops and not tied to difficulty or anything (supplements definitely, not 100% sure on weapon parts). There aren't enough to unlock everything in one run but it's not far off, so I guess if you've missed a few it might seem like a lot but I definitely missed some and I'm pretty sure I still maxed out two skill trees on my first run. I posted this earlier in the thread but if you're planning on a second play through there's an option for turning on 'enhanced listen mode' in accessibilty options, it lets you pulse for items in an area, I wouldn't use it on a first playthrough but for a collectible run I found it more immersive than trying to play and read a guide / watch youtube.

• Like 1

If, after your first run, you have a desire to plat it, then as @Delphouneso says there isn't enough resources to unlock everything so you'll need a second run - and assuming you get all the stuff throughout both runs, you'll get the last resources you need just after Abby leaves the stadium and is on her own for the first time.

3 hours ago, Delphouneso said:

You can play through individual chapters if you know where that safe is and wanna go back for it.

As for the supplements/weapon parts I can only assume you've missed them as I'm pretty sure they're all fixed drops and not tied to difficulty or anything (supplements definitely, not 100% sure on weapon parts). There aren't enough to unlock everything in one run but it's not far off, so I guess if you've missed a few it might seem like a lot but I definitely missed some and I'm pretty sure I still maxed out two skill trees on my first run. I posted this earlier in the thread but if you're planning on a second play through there's an option for turning on 'enhanced listen mode' in accessibilty options, it lets you pulse for items in an area, I wouldn't use it on a first playthrough but for a collectible run I found it more immersive than trying to play and read a guide / watch youtube.

No that sounds about right. I've maxed out all skill trees except two I think and I've got a couple of weapons that aren't fully upgraded. 

So you can play through again and start with everything you've already upgraded?

2 hours ago, hogso said:

If, after your first run, you have a desire to plat it, then as @Delphouneso says there isn't enough resources to unlock everything so you'll need a second run - and assuming you get all the stuff throughout both runs, you'll get the last resources you need just after Abby leaves the stadium and is on her own for the first time.

Ok this makes much more sense. I thought there was enough to unlock everything in one run. I didn't realise you could do a second run with stuff you'd already unlocked. I should be able to do it no problem then.

I don't really ahve a desire to collect trophies, it was just bugging me that I was trying to be thorough but thought I'd missed stuff

Agree on the "it's safe!" bit of it but for some reason that didn't result in me easing up, I know the area is cleared, I know I'm now free to explore... But I'm still on the edge of my seat and creeping round in the dark... It was relentless on this game... Even though it quite obviously wasn't 

Its a great trick they pulled off, one of a few with the open worldness of it too

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
25 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Just finished this.  Absolute masterpiece.

Finished replaying the first one on Sunday. Going to start a 2nd play through of this one at the weekend.

Naughty Dog are my favourite game studio based on the Uncharted series and TLOU series.

Â