Gareth Southgate

Richard

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Never let him down though have they?

Maguire was brilliant in Russia 2018, fans forget too easy

I think people might say “Well, when did Mings let England down?” 

As a very casual observer to the national side, it seems to me that some players are selected because of club form and others are selected by previous performances in international games. 

And for what it’s worth I don’t believe Southgate is the first international manager to operate that way.

Maguire’s crap for Man Utd - but his reasonable form for England sees him retain his place.

Mings has a bad patch under a crap Villa manager, one or two standout mistakes - but his assured international performances seemingly didn’t prevent him from being dropped. He’s now of course back in the England set up, but he’s had to be consistently excellent to earn that recall.

Ok, Maguire would be able to point to more international appearances and say he’s done ok there. But at the same time Maguire was part of a defence at Molinuex that conceded as many in one game as Mings has seen conceded when he’s featured for England at all.

I generally think people would be a bit happier with Southgate if he acknowledged his inconsistencies and said “Look, I know I’m pissing people off and there’s a legitimate argument that I often contradict myself, but ultimately I’m the ****ing manager, alright.”

He won’t do that, because they typically don’t and any sort of acknowledgment would be seen as weak and would be pounced upon.

• Like 1

FWIW I was tongue in cheek and a can't stand the prick!

But it's right, he's not just safegate because of his tactics it's his selections too, this is a manager who only integrated Bellingham because phillips was injured, he knows Henderson, he knows exactly what he is and how to play him and what he'll offer so he'll continue to pick him over JJ Jones and elliot even though by next summer all 3 of them will be better players (if not already)

Its not necessary favourites it's a safety blanket because he's a coward

• Like 3

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

FWIW I was tongue in cheek and a can't stand the prick!

Apologies, I wasn’t sure if you were taking the piss or not by advocating for Maguire’s inclusion based on his 2018 performances. I obviously erred on the side that you weren’t.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Apologies, I wasn’t sure if you were taking the piss or not by advocating for Maguire’s inclusion based on his 2018 performances. I obviously erred on the side that you weren’t.

I'm definitley not advocating for it but genuinely think that's the reason he's there, Southgate can't let go and risk finding someone else

3 hours ago, blandy said:

I mean what’s he supposed to say in that interview? “ Hendo has gone to Saudi, so that’s the end of his England career, regardless of whether we get injuries or suspensions to other players”. Good managers (and average ones, too) don’t throw their players under the bus. Especially not managers who recognise the popularity of each of their players with the other members of the squad and who are good at building unity and team spirit.

Southgate will likely not call him up again, but there’s no need to publicly air that.

Exactly.  Some of the comments in this thread and that tweet from Ty (who for the most part seems like an intelligent human being) just read like crazy people with an irrational hatred of a guy who is doing a decent job. If other fans on other forums were doing it we'd be laughing at them.  Thing is with Henderson is that the writing is on the wall for him anyway.  He's 33 years old and he's got Declan Rice (24) and Judge Bellingham (20) who also play in the England engine room.  I dare say his position in the squad is probably fine for the current international cycle of Euro 2024 Qualifiers which run until November and once that campaign is over Southgate might consider him for the tournament in the summer but he's probably not going to be in the picture for the 2026 World Cup campaign even if he were still in the Premier League. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Exactly.  Some of the comments in this thread and that tweet from Ty (who for the most part seems like an intelligent human being) just read like crazy people with an irrational hatred of a guy who is doing a decent job. If other fans on other forums were doing it we'd be laughing at them.  Thing is with Henderson is that the writing is on the wall for him anyway.  He's 33 years old and he's got Declan Rice (24) and Judge Bellingham (20) who also play in the England engine room.  I dare say his position in the squad is probably fine for the current international cycle of Euro 2024 Qualifiers which run until November and once that campaign is over Southgate might consider him for the tournament in the summer but he's probably not going to be in the picture for the 2026 World Cup campaign even if he were still in the Premier League. 

See I disagree with that, Southgate has the autumn internationals to look at the u21 crop

He doesn't need to call up Henderson, he knows all about him and what he can and can't do and he doesn't need him to qualify either

Henderson shouldn't be in those squads ahead of Ramsey for example, you dont need Henderson for Malta at home, take a look at the future rather than being safe and boring

• Like 2

On 06/08/2023 at 07:17, villa4europe said:

Never let him down though have they?

Maguire was brilliant in Russia 2018, fans forget too easy

https://www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11095/12104281/harry-maguires-red-card-for-england-against-denmark-caps-miserable-time-for-manchester-united-captain

Harry Maguire's red card for England against Denmark caps miserable time for Manchester United captain
Manchester United captain Harry Maguire continues to make the wrong headlines after Wembley red card in England's 1-0 defeat to Denmark. Here's the view from Sky Sports pundit Gary Neville and the verdict from England manager Gareth Southgate...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/england-germany-match-report-maguire-28087460.amp

England fight back against Germany after Harry Maguire howler - 5 talking points
ENGLAND 3-3 GERMANY: Gareth Southgate's side recovered from two goals down to take a 3-2 lead at Wembley, only for Kai Havertz to snatch an equaliser with a late tap in

Two excellent examples of horrendous maguire England performances here. Imagine how Southgate would have responded if Mings had performed as badly 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 16/06/2023 at 11:40, Genie said:

My son told me last night that if he had the choice of watching Tamworth or England he’d pick Tamworth.

So would I.

Hey, if I had the.choice of watching Southgates England or attaching my balls to a car battery I would choose the car battery, would be less painful 🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

My hope is that Southgate steps down after next years Euros and then takes over from Woy at Crystal Palace. 

Im resigned to the fact Maguire will captain England and play every game next summer in the finals regardless of form or playing time.

15 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

My hope is that Southgate steps down after next years Euros and then takes over from Woy at Crystal Palace. 

Im resigned to the fact Maguire will captain England and play every game next summer in the finals regardless of form or playing time.

It would be very Southgate like if Maguire moved to West Ham and actually played some football then got dropped. I can see that happening.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, JPJCB said:

Conveniently missed out the screamer he scored against San Marino

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, villan95 said:

The next squad is announced tomorrow. There better not be any sign of Henderson, Phillips or Maguire.

But Kalvin Phillips won the treble last season, how many players can say that? What a superstar he is. 

• Haha 3

On 06/08/2023 at 11:15, S-Platt said:

I read that Simon Jordan called him out in that interview.  Shame I never listened I like Jordan.

Just saw your post and watched this. Southgate's defence of himself is so boring that I nearly stopped listening, but it's good to see him called out.

Also, someone said Southgate is barely convincing himself nevermind anyone else, so true. Even when Southgate was a pundit back in the day, he had no confidence in his own opinion.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, villan95 said:

The next squad is announced tomorrow. There better not be any sign of Henderson, Phillips or Maguire.

They’ll be there, it’s not a doubt 🤪

• Sad 1

Â